Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should have some data soon to help with refining the SOH estimate. Have recent logs and just had Kia tell me yesterday my SOH was 40%. You had mentioned logs from before and after a Kia SOH test, yes? I Will try to get access to the car to get a post-test datasaet as well.

Coincidentally my SOC prec% also shows 40%, maybe there is something to this?

cixelsyd said:
I should have some data soon to help with refining the SOH estimate. Have recent logs and just had Kia tell me yesterday my SOH was 40%. You had mentioned logs from before and after a Kia SOH test, yes? I Will try to get access to the car to get a post-test datasaet as well.

Coincidentally my SOC prec% also shows 40%, maybe there is something to this?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :)

Good luck with your battery replacement.

I realize that at the moment the focus for SoulSpy is not on my model (2020 64kWh) but I am thinking ahead and would like to get a dongle that "is likely to work". I have read through the postings and the one that seems to be mentioned a lot is KONNWEI KW902 Mini Bluetooth 3.0 Wireless OBD-II however it seems there are several versions and vendors and some may be faulty.

Can anyone recommend a specific version they feel is likely to work? I would be tinkering with Torque to begin with and then hope that the 2020 would work with SoulSpy one day. The car has just over 2k km and it would be nice to get some baseline figures so that degradation could be quantified in the future.

There is some support for the e-Soul 2020 (and e-Niro, Kona EV and Ioniq EV) in the app now, just not as many data values as Soul EV 2015-2018.
And actuallly, the eSoul 2020 IS the focus for development currently: I am the current developer of the app, and I sold my Soul EV 2015 and got an eSoul 2020 instead!
I cannot tell you where to buy a KW-902, I bought mine years ago from a chinese webshop.

Thanks for the quick reply langemand and I am delighted to hear the 2020 will be getting more attention.

I may wait to see if anyone has used the Bluetooth 3. I did search for other versions and came across a BT 1.5 which maybe the one you have. I am wondering if the BT version would be critical however who knows what else was changed as "improvements".

You will have lots of fun with the 2020 I bet. The range is great. It seems each country has slightly different software and features but I am hoping they update or offer upgrades in the future. That could be a new role for the dealerships since maintenance business will be reduced!

I just found out the Konnwei 902 I was thinking of buying is no longer available from Amazon (which has good return policies if it was a bad one) so I am wondering if an ELM327 Bluetooth Wireless OBDII might do? It seems the Konnwei is based on the ELM327 which is why I am asking.

I may be willing to try one since they are not too expensive but does it seem like it might work?

I tinkered a few years ago with the OBD on my VW using VAG-COM and it was great.

The dongles all claim to be ELM 327, and none of them are (including the KW902). Some works with the soul ev spy app, some doesn't. The only dongle supported is the KW902.
The bad KW902 I got from a chinese website was replaced when I told them. I didn't even have to return the defective one.

Thanks again langemand.

I will order a 902 then and check the pins which I think is the source problem of "bad ones".

Searching on Amazon.ca it seems some Konnwei KW902s have another name in front of them, e.g. KKmoon KONNWEI KW902 - would you advise steering clear of them?

gday said:
Searching on Amazon.ca it seems some Konnwei KW902s have another name in front of them, e.g. KKmoon KONNWEI KW902 - would you advise steering clear of them?

I don't know enough to give advice on whether a KW902 from an amazon store will work or not.

What I can say, is that the Soul EV Spy app is developed and tested using a KW902, so other dongles may work perfectly, partially, or not at all. A new version of the app may cause a dongle which used to work, to stop working with the app.

Understand completely langemand.

I think I have found one that looks like a "genuine" 902 with no added name - they may have done it to get seen first on Amazon!

I will read all the postings again then make a decision what to do. Appreciate your help and hopefully I will be able to repay you with data from Canada if needed.

gday

I have a Obdlink MX, I already had it from my Peugeot iOn (iMiev Twin). For the twins we had to have this, since it was an exigent car :)

http://www.obdlink.com/mxbt/

Have a look, it works great with the Soul 2016. Got mine on amazon.

Thanks Oinq, but I have already ordered the Konnwei 902 that was recommended. However it is nice to see some proof that others work and since I am a "digital and electronic tinkerer" I may well buy others later.

gday said:
Thanks Oinq, but I have already ordered the Konnwei 902 that was recommended. However it is nice to see some proof that others work and since I am a "digital and electronic tinkerer" I may well buy others later.

:mrgreen:

For the record I recently picked up this one and it seems to work fine with SoulSpy:

Panlong OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Scanner Car Diagnostic Code Reader for Android

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07C3D2NZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ksoul2084 said:
For the record I recently picked up this one and it seems to work fine with SoulSpy:

Panlong OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Scanner Car Diagnostic Code Reader for Android

The panlong has a very small buffer and/or low bluetooth throughput, and it fails to read the entire response to some commands. There are also some commands not understood by this dongle. I have made some workarounds in the app, so data will flow as expected most of the time, but please do not recommend this dongle for the Soulevspy app!
If the workarounds get in the way of KW902 working optimally, they will be removed, causing the app to miss data values and or work intermittently with the Panlong dongle.

I have the Panlong also, and so far it works for my purposes, with some issues. At least you know that it does work, unlike some you might get that don't work at all. I had that issue when I used LeafSpy.
Just did a quick search on Amazon, and they do have the Konnwei KW902 in stock. https://smile.amazon.com/KONNWEI-Bluetooth-Wireless-Diagnostic-compatible/dp/B073F57QT3/ref=sr_1_6?crid=11YN3HE7JI7K2&keywords=konnwei%2Bkw902&qid=1564247039&s=gateway&sprefix=konwei%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-6&th=1

Oinq said:
Have a look, it works great with the Soul 2016.
Well, the files you emailed me (thanks again!) has some weird-looking data, so I will not recommend the Obdlink MX dongle, until the dongle can be disregarded as the root cause for the malfunction.

The only dongle supported by the SoulEVSpy app is the Konnwei KW902.

KW902 is not necessarily better than the other dongles mentioned, it is just that the dongles are all different, and it is very complex to write an app that supports all the differences. And the KW902 is what I use for development and debugging. I have limited time for the SoulEVSpy project, so I have chosen to support one dongle. I feel it is a better use of my time to add reading of more data-values from the cars, which are now ALL Hyundai and Kia EV models, to a smaller or larger extent!

The differences between the car models is also complex to code and debug, but better worth the time it takes, IMHO.

-
There's a dedicated thread about this topic here - recommended obd2 adapter?
The adapter I have and the one I continue to recommend is the Konnwei KW902.
We originally chose this one because it is the one recommended by both the LeafSpy app and the CanZE app.

SOH calculation algorithm for the Kia Soul EV 2015 and 2016 has today been modified back, so it is now almost the same algorithm as was used by the app until february.

The app has displayed erroneously high SOH values since february, especially for cars having one or more bad cells!

From february until now, the SOH in the app has been calculated based on the average of min deterioration and max deterioration. This is the same way SOH is calculated by the Torque files (see https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs).

The calculation based on average deterioration has now been proved wrong by a Kia Soul EV 2015: This car has been tested to be at 40% SOH by Kia, and having min det = 0% and max det = 64.7%, before as well as after the test by Kia.

The calculation used in app releases between february and Juli calculates the above values to SOH=77.7% - WAY too high!

The now updated calculation available in the latest release of the Kia Soul EV Spy app, calculates the above values to SOH=39.9%

So, in case you are wondering why the range of your car has dropped way below original range, without a similar drop in SOH displayed in the Soul EV Spy app, this error in SOH calculation could be the cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back