50 miles to the charge.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compmaker1

So I just purchased a used certified preowned 2016 Kia Soul EV with 11200 miles on it. The dealer put a 60 mile charge on it since we got it it won’t go over 55 mile charge. I have cleared the drive history. Any other suggestions. Not sure if that will or won’t help at this point. It seems that we should be getting much better than that. Is there any way to tell battery state of health without Torque Pro. I have an IPhone.

You could ask the dealer for a State Of Health report, but I've seen reports of people being charged for that. Otherwise it is either Torque Pro or Soul Spy, both of which are Android only.

notfred said:
You could ask the dealer for a State Of Health report, but I've seen reports of people being charged for that. Otherwise it is either Torque Pro or Soul Spy, both of which are Android only.

Is there anything that could use a wired connection from the OBD port to a laptop or macbook and run scans etc that way?

Would an Android tablet work? And if so what obd2 reader should I use? And yes I have a laptop but need the OBD2 reader....

Android tablet with Bluetooth to talk to the OBD2 dongle would be perfect.

There have been various discussions on which OBD2 dongle to use, basically if you get a proper official one it will work but be expensive, if you get a cheap Chinese clone off of Ebay then it may or may not work. Depending on how cheap you can get it, that may be worth the risk!

Do you have any recommendation that won't break the budget. My kia dealer here that is certified are a bunch of people I would prefer not to talk to....

If you hate your local Kia dealership, this may not be the car for you.

Anything at all related to the EV system you will need to bring it in to a KIA dealership, no others can work on it. Yes it may cost you for the diagnostics (including SoH report), but there is no other choice. Since your car has only 11k miles, almost anything broken on the car is already covered bumper-to-bumper. There are several EV components in the car that are known to break and have to be replaced. So it's better to build a good relationship with your dealer sooner than later, instead of hating on them. Or else better to return that car to the bank asap.

Go out and buy a cheap Android phone/tablet, anything fairly modern will work. There's nothing equivalent to Torque Pro on iOS.

Update everyone... Kia had said that the battery was bad they are replacing the battery, ecm, and charge ports... My wife is in a rental until the 26th of February... The soonest they can get the battery here. What other components are known to break?

Onboard charger (OBC) is known to malfunction. Definitely get that checked and replaced. Mine was replaced.

Compmaker1 said:
Update everyone... Kia had said that the battery was bad they are replacing the battery, ecm, and charge ports... My wife is in a rental until the 26th of February... The soonest they can get the battery here. What other components are known to break?

My wife's car is doing the same. Do you know what the dealer tested to come to the conclusion so I can book an appointment and ask for that specifically? Was it simply the State of Health (SoH) report?

We live in a suburb of Furnace (Phoenix) so I was thinking the battery may have simply been heat soaked. We level 2 charge all the time because the charger that was included (purchased the car used) keeps switching over to "Fault" status within a minute or so of being plugged in.

Ours just got a fault code. We just got a new cord from Amazon. The dealer just gave us a reman battery and called it good... I have since hadn't had an issue. I have no idea how they figured it out. I was told by one dealer that there wasn't a problem and they wouldn't even look. I am guessing they had to do voltage checks and output checks on the battery...

You purchased a new Level 1 charger, or just a replacement cord for the Kia Level 1 charger?

I've set an appointment with the dealer to have them check ours out. Hopefully they have someone knowledgeable about the EVs.

No I purchased a level 2 from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PH7P6MN/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A141DW0W7J6ULN

I just got it in today. A good tip If you have many dealers in your area find one you are comfortable with. One of the dealers that is "EV Certified" Kia dealers in my area wouldn't take the time to even look at it. The tech said "it is fine" refused to look at it. I went to another Kia Dealer in my area and they found all of the issues. Find a Dealer you can trust with your vehicle. Best advice I have ever received. I am going to clear drive history tonight and then charge with the level 2 from here on out. Much easier.

Back