Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my commute home the app didn't freeze nor crash. It got disconnected quite some times though.

It looks like a good solution so far.

I did notice not all the fields were updated all the time. Particularly the remaining range field. It was stuck on 69 km for quite some time, when the car itself was displaying 60 km remaining.

JeroenE said:
On my commute home the app didn't freeze nor crash. It got disconnected quite some times though.

It looks like a good solution so far.

I did notice not all the fields were updated all the time. Particularly the remaining range field. It was stuck on 69 km for quite some time, when the car itself was displaying 60 km remaining.
I have looked in the logfiles you emailed. The disconnects are due to CAN ERRORs. This happens when there is a problem in the communication between the car and the dongle. When there are communication issues, some data are not communicated to the app.

One thing I noticed in the logs is that the dongle measure the aux voltage as below 10 Volts, while the LDC and BMS reports the aux voltage to be above 14 Volts. I have only seen such low voltages when the car was off, and the aux battery almost completely drained, which is not the case in your car.

I will recommend replacing your dongle. You could try to borrow another dongle first, just to see if the communication issues are originating from the car, rather than the dongle.

My apologies for posting my questions here but I am not sure where else to post with "beginner" questions.

I have just got a Konnwei KW902 BT 3.0 and currently have SoulEVspy Ver 0.1.1-4527 loaded on a Samsung S7 Edge.

I note that the KW902 mentioned talks about Ver 1.5 but does that mean BT 1.5? If so I may have the wrong 902.

I also note that there seem to be two two apps with similar names but I cannot find one simply called Soulspy? If I am right how do I get Soulspy?

My phone connects to my 2020 Kia Soul EV 64kWh - will that cause a conflict re. Bluetooth?

Is there some place where I can find instructions for the initial set up?

To install, go into the Google play store and look for "Soul EV Spy" by EVRanger.com

It doesn't matter that your phone connects to your car by Bluetooth for calls and such, it can also be connected to the dongle. First of all plug in the dongle and then go to your phone Bluetooth settings and get them paired. Then open the Soul EV Spy app, select the Bluetooth dongle in the settings and then connect by sliding the slider in the app.

langemand said:
Would you buy the Soul EV Spy android app, if it was priced at $15 at google play store?

Is it worth it?

Why or why not?

What is the value of the app, if not $15?

What are the currently existing need-to-have features of the app?

What features are wanted, but missing from the app currently?

What are the pain points of the app (i.e. what sucks)?

Thanks in advance for your reply. The current "early available" BETA release that is currently available on google play store, will soon be upgraded to a paid app.

Coming back to this, sorry my time has been short lately.

To be honest I would pay more than 15€ to know my SOH, but that can be done with Torque for free.
5€ for this app I would pay without a blink, 10€ it would be ok, 15€ is stretching a bit. In the past I asked you a paypal account to donate some money to help you keep the project alive. In the time my idea was send 5€ and if the app would improve I would send again 5€ every time I would see usefully (for me of course) improvements. We have seen many improvements lately and to be honest I can't even imagine the hours you are into this project. In this moment I would have gladly paid 10€.

What can be improved in a user perspective? The layout.
When I had the Peugeot iOn the app I used in the time was the "caniOn". This app has a great feature in the settings, It has a check list with all the parameters you can read from the car, and if you check them, they will show up, if you don't check them you won't see them. For me this worth other 5€.

The fact that you are opening the app for more vehicles will worth more, and open your revenue possibilities. I also have an Kia Optima PHEV and if the app could read both cars, at least the most important parameters, I would gladly pay again 5 or even 10€.

Have you thought in let's say modules? Basic module with the most basic features like 2 or 3€. And then 2 or 3 € per module. I have this on an astronomy app and it got me pay all the modules in different times, but I have the full app now. People has a blockage on their brain on spending money, and if you spend it slowly you won't notice it. Can also help you by the download number of each mode, know the modules people want the most, and consequently you can focus your efforts on what people wants most (or where you can earn the most).

On my side, inside my possibilities, you will always have my support. Keep up the good work, you are doing it very good. A BIG thank you.

Thanks notfred. I made sure I had the right app and I plugged in OBD2 device - turned it on(it has a button) Then turned car on fully, turned on app and activated BT - it connected and so I checked each screen and very few had anything. So I drove around and checked again. Nothing really showing - aux battery did show. It apparently could not identify the VIN.

So I searched my phone for a data file and found a TXT file and CSV log but cannot find a way to attach - it seems a bit long to simply copy and paste. Here is just the ending:
>o:AT SH 7DF
o: o:AT SH 7DF
Status='Broken pipe'
TimeOuts=2
Disconnected by ReadLoop. Timeouts ='373', status='Broken pipe'

I did note that I have ver 1.5 so one issue solved!

Thoughts please.

gday said:
Thanks notfred. I made sure I had the right app and I plugged in OBD2 device - turned it on(it has a button) Then turned car on fully, turned on app and activated BT - it connected and so I checked each screen and very few had anything. So I drove around and checked again. Nothing really showing - aux battery did show. It apparently could not identify the VIN.

So I searched my phone for a data file and found a TXT file and CSV log but cannot find a way to attach - it seems a bit long to simply copy and paste. Here is just the ending:
>o:AT SH 7DF
o: o:AT SH 7DF
Status='Broken pipe'
TimeOuts=2
Disconnected by ReadLoop. Timeouts ='373', status='Broken pipe'

I did note that I have ver 1.5 so one issue solved!

Thoughts please.
You startup sequence should work.
Aux battery voltage is read by the dongle, not reported by the car.

Which app version are you running (it is at the bottom of the Settings, and at the head of the soulspy.log-files)?
Which car model and year do you have?
Did you select your car model in Settings?
Do you have other apps accessing the dongle (Torque...)?

Will you tell me the first part of your VIN (excluding the serial number, if you prefer)? I cannot know what the app is supposed to process otherwise...

I am unable to assist without log files. Email them to me if you want me to help, and possibly fix the app, if the app is the cause of the problem: [email protected]

I have a bad dongle that does the same and gives the same error in Soul Spy. It's a small blue translucent dongle, and on the forum you can find other people where it doesn't work.

I think you probably need another one. Can you try the ELM327 identifier app? The one I have doesn't even have all the commands for the first version. Probably just enough to spit out it's V1.5 :(

Which app version are you running (it is at the bottom of the Settings, and at the head of the soulspy.log-files)?
0.1.1-4527
Which car model and year do you have?
Kia Soul EV 2020 64kWh
Did you select your car model in Settings?
OOOPS - done and it works!! LOTS more data. Thank you for sorting me out!
Do you have other apps accessing the dongle (Torque...)?
Tried Torque but did not go far.
Will you tell me the first part of your VIN (excluding the serial number, if you prefer)? I cannot know what the app is supposed to process otherwise...
KNDJ33 - enough?
I am unable to assist without log files. Email them to me if you want me to help, and possibly fix the app, if the app is the cause of the problem: [email protected]
Will send it next

Thanks againlangemand - your work is very much appreciated.

JeroenE said:
I have a bad dongle that does the same and gives the same error in Soul Spy. It's a small blue translucent dongle, and on the forum you can find other people where it doesn't work.

I think you probably need another one. Can you try the ELM327 identifier app? The one I have doesn't even have all the commands for the first version. Probably just enough to spit out it's V1.5 :(
Anyone considering buying a dongle that doesn't already have one should know that it is a crap shoot at best. These are mostly Chinese knock-offs of the ELM 327 protocol, and some of them can actually be dangerous to use in your car. Buy the recommended one (KW 902) if at all possible! The last time I checked, it was about $16 to $20 US on Amazon.

Unfortunately shops on Amazon mostly don't ship to Europe. Or at least not The Netherlands. I ordered another in China, perhaps this one works better.

https://www.amazon.de/Diagnoseger%C3%A4t-KONNWEI-Autoscanner-Unterst%C3%BCtzung-OBD2-Protokolle/dp/B077XGSV83/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=kw902&qid=1565938439&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRVJKQ0VLNzlISkU2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzMzMDcyMk8zWTkyU0kxSDZTSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTI5NDM1MTlOTFlSMloyRTVBWiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Delivered Tuesday in Belgium. 17€

Oinq said:
Delivered Tuesday in Belgium. 17€
Thanks, I did not think of looking at the .de site :oops:

I had already ordered one in China. I will see of that one works better and if not I can always buy the one you found.

I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration.

I guess it will reset once I make a larger drive. I only drove about 40 km. Not all of it on the high way, but quite a lot. It took 29% and that would make it seem like it used to be.

Also Soul Spy didn't once loose connection with the dongle. I'm not sure if that is related to the new battery.

Edit: They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%. Unfortunately I do not have the min or max deterioration from that time. The sheet does not mention those either. It is however in the same ballpark as the "new" "bad" SoH that Soul Spy displays. The new calculations are way better than the old one which says 82.8% (as in Torque). Not sure if this is really helpful information, but I said I'd ask.

JeroenE said:
I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration.
Edit: They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%. Unfortunately I do not have the min or max deterioration from that time. The sheet does not mention those either. It is however in the same ballpark as the "new" "bad" SoH that Soul Spy displays. The new calculations are way better than the old one which says 82.8% (as in Torque). Not sure if this is really helpful information, but I said I'd ask.
Glad to here the battery replacement went smoothly.

If you share the last Max det and min det from before the battery replacement, and the first Max det and min det after, those could be useful along with the official SOH of the replaced battery.

JeroenE said:
...I now have a new battery in my car. They did not reset the BMS, so it still shows the old values, even for the min and max deterioration...
Wow. Normally they replace the entire pack, BMS included. I wonder if they changed all the cells, or just the 'bad' ones.

langemand said:
If you share the last Max det and min det from before the battery replacement, and the first Max det and min det after, those could be useful along with the official SOH of the replaced battery.
The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83. Soul Spy said SOH was 46.1.

According to the dealer I got a new battery so the new SOH should be 110%, I guess.

JejuSoul said:
Wow. Normally they replace the entire pack, BMS included. I wonder if they changed all the cells, or just the 'bad' ones.
I don't know how I can tell the difference. They said I got a completely new battery. They've reset the BMS once before (they put in new software). I lost my entire driving history and the car started with 150 km range. That hasn't been done this time. At least this is what I mean with a reset of the BMS, perhaps I don't use the right terminology?

JeroenE said:
langemand said:
The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83. Soul Spy said SOH was 46.1.

According to the dealer I got a new battery so the new SOH should be 110%, I guess.

JejuSoul said:
I don't know how I can tell the difference. They said I got a completely new battery. They've reset the BMS once before (they put in new software). I lost my entire driving history and the car started with 150 km range. That hasn't been done this time. At least this is what I mean with a reset of the BMS, perhaps I don't use the right terminology?

You can force a calibration by driving to 100%, then below 19% (does not need one drive though) and then charge to 100%. Sometimes you need to repeat this twice.

JeroenE said:
They did not make a new readout of the battery, but I did get the old one. It says SoH 49,6%.

JeroenE said:
The max deterioration was 59.2 in cell 83.

Again, Elmils formula correlates closest to the official SOH! Elmils formula puts the SOH at 48,3%, and given that the readings are taken some time apart, a difference is to be expected.

Of the 5 cars where I have a max det reading taken reasonably close to the time of the official SOH printout, the only two cars where there is a significant difference between Elmils formula and the official SOH, are the cars where the max det reading has been recorded some time apart from the official SOH reading. And in both cases, Elmils formula differs less than 2 percent, where the current SoulEvSpy calculation as well as the Torque calculation differs more.

I will replace the SOH calculation in SoulEVSpy with Elmils formula. It will be available from BETA version 0.1.2-XXXX onwards.

At the same time I will remove the cap at 100% SOH, so the app again will display percentages above 100. This will give you an idea of how close you are to experience a shorter range.

Please note: The SOH calculation is ONLY working for Soul EV model years 2014-2016 (the Souls originally having 27 kWh accessible battery capacity)! Perhaps it works in Kia Ray EV and Hyundai BlueOn EV also, I am unsure of those.

We still don't know where to find data for deterioration or SOH for newer Soul EV models originally having 30, 39 or 64 kWh accessible battery capacity; Hyundai Ioniq; Hyundai Kona and Kia e-Niro, or any of the HEV and PHEV hybrids and plugin hybrids.

For all Korean EVs, HEVs and PHEVs from model year 2017 onwards, I need souldata.log files and the official SOH value from cars having SOH below 100%, to search for the SOH information in the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back