Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
langemand said:
Again, Elmils formula correlates closest to the official SOH! Elmils formula puts the SOH at 48,3%, and given that the readings are taken some time apart, a difference is to be expected.
The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83). This was done in Torque though, not Soul Spy. That was a month after the battery reading was taken at the dealer.

I don't have recorded all the times the SOC went under 19% (e.g. the battery is low warning light on the dash goes on) . Because my battery was that bad I have had this happen a few times in the last months. But I don't know if this happened in the mean time.

I'll see if I can get the battery to go below 19% to re-calibrate.

JeroenE said:
The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83).
"The reading" of which value: Max det or SOH? And how close, in time and km?

Max det is read from the car, so it is the same value from Torque and Soul EV Spy.

SOH is calculated in Torque and SoulEVSpy, and at least 4 different formula versions have been released in the past 6 months... So quoting SOH without specifying the source in a way so the formula version is possible to determine, is not usable for formula calibration purposes.

Max det and min det are the values we need for calibration of the SOH formula.

langemand said:
JeroenE said:
The reading I have recorded which is closest to the time the battery SOH was determined by the dealer is 52.1 (also at cell 83).
"The reading" of which value: Max det or SOH? And how close, in time and km?
52.1 in cell 83 is the max deterioration.

It was a month apart. I can't tell you the exact kilometres , but there would be a difference of between 2000 and 2500 km.

The reading mentioned above was made at 154444 km and the SOH reading of the dealer was somewhere when the ODO was in the low 152xxx range. I haven't noted it exactly and it isn't mentioned on the form I got either. Usually it will be mentioned on the bill, but since this is done under warranty I don't have a bill ;)

The min deterioration has been 0 for the last few months.

JeroenE said:
I'll see if I can get the battery to go below 19% to re-calibrate.
Yesterday I drove some extra km to get the car at 17%. Unfortunately after a night of charging the car still thinks it can only drive 70 km, even though I drove 142 km the day before. I would understand (a bit) if the range would only go up slowly, just like it does in spring. But the car seems very determined to not show any km more than 70 as a range.

The time in the display is showing --:--. The GPS itself is working (I can see that when using the map). The car will also tell me how long I have driven, it will just not show the time. For some reason I can't set the time manually either. I had not tried setting the time manually ever before. So perhaps you can't anyway? I'm not sure about this.

Also the charging times a bit low. I haven driven the car to 40% remaining and it thinks it will take only 4 hour to charge at 230V/16A. If there were no losses that would mean it would only charge 14,7kWh and 60% should be 16,2 kWh. In the past the car would estimate something like 6 hours.

It looks like there is a new battery in (because I can drive like I used to), but the car for some reason doesn't know and it also doesn't get new information from the battery. Or perhaps the car thinks the battery is giving information that is too different from the last information it received so now the car thinks communication with the battery is bad and will not accept new information?

I'm not sure if that's related to the time setting.

On a more on topic note the Soul Spy does seem to get correct information about the battery cells themselves. They started out at 4.12 this morning (except 2 at 4.14) and I drove it to 3.64 (all of them).

Before the new battery it would charge to about half of them at 4.04 and half 4.02. After my commute (with a quick charge along the way!) I'd end up with values like one at 3.42, one at 3.52, some at 3.54 and most of them at 3.64 or 3.66. Of course then the SOC would be 15% (display) and not 40%.

JeroenE said:
Yesterday I drove some extra km to get the car at 17%. Unfortunately after a night of charging the car still thinks it can only drive 70 km

Probably you need to do this at least another time like this. Or there is something else wrong. Strange that they did not reset the BMS as part of the replacement.

JeroenE said:
The time in the display is showing --:--. The GPS itself is working (I can see that when using the map). The car will also tell me how long I have driven, it will just not show the time. For some reason I can't set the time manually either. I had not tried setting the time manually ever before. So perhaps you can't anyway? I'm not sure about this.

This is a Kia issue, it's a satellite problem across all of Kia's vehicles

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t73000_ds1053034

See also this thread:
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1085&start=10

Curiously in my 2020 Soul 64kWh the time has not been affected. I double checked and the time is set by the GPS. I have the option of setting it manually in my car.

ZuinigeRijder said:
Probably you need to do this at least another time like this. Or there is something else wrong. Strange that they did not reset the BMS as part of the replacement.
Tomorrow I'll be at the dealer so they can take a look.

ZuinigeRijder said:
This is a Kia issue, it's a satellite problem across all of Kia's vehicles
Right, resetting helped. Wierd, I thought the GPS rollover already happened last April. Strange this happens a few months later for Kia :lol:

JeroenE said:
Right, resetting helped. Wierd, I thought the GPS rollover already happened last April. Strange this happens a few months later for Kia :lol:
After I had reset the range estimate did change! I'm still not sure if they're related.

The dealer did not know either and had yet to hear about other Souls not displaying the time .

They tried to reset the BMS, but that didn't work. Or at least it did not change the displayed estimated range.

So I drove the car once again till 17% and charged it overnight. This morning the range estimate changed again, the range is now at 92 km (instead of 82). The SOH has also changed, it says 93.1% in Soul Spy (I have the latest version with the new formula from Elmil). The minimum deterioration is 13.8, the maximum deterioration is 17,2. So I guess the old SOH would have been around 95% so it's about the same.

I have a follow up appointment next week to check out the range estimate, but then they'll need the car for a few days. They want to see what happens when the car is near empty and then is recharged.

I think I'll see what happens in the next few days and might cancel the follow up if it looks like the range estimate is getting better.

The range as it is now is OK for me, it's only that the displayed estimate is wrong. If it looks like it will take a few weeks of driving to get it the "right" level I'd rather do that than drive around in a loaner petrol car.

JeroenE said:
JeroenE said:
The range as it is now is OK for me, it's only that the displayed estimate is wrong. If it looks like it will take a few weeks of driving to get it the "right" level I'd rather do that than drive around in a loaner petrol car.

This is the estimated range with the average driving consumption the last 20 drives or so.
You can configure in the User Settings Mode (on your dashboard, with the buttons on your steering wheel):

Energy Consumption Auto Reset
* Auto Reset : The average energy consumption will reset automatically when charge the high voltage battery more than 10%
* Manual Reset: The average energy consumption will not reset automatically when charge the high voltage battery more than 10%

Or manually long press the v button manually on your steering wheel each time you did charge with the Average consumption screen visible on the dashboard:

The LCD display modes can be changed by using the control buttons on the steering wheel.
(1) : MODE button for changing modes or SELECT button for setting the selected item
(2) : MOVE button for changing items or RESET button for resetting the selected item

Still the last 20 drives are taking into account, I guess, but it could that the estimation will faster change, because the latest average consumption is way better.

ZuinigeRijder said:
This is the estimated range with the average driving consumption the last 20 drives or so.
You can configure in the User Settings Mode (on your dashboard, with the buttons on your steering wheel):
As far as I know the Auto/Manual setting is only for the display on the drivers console. I have this setting on manual, because I like to have more control about the resetting. Even so, the car records all trips separately in the main console.

In the main console all the trips that I made while the time wasn't working show "gps data unavailable". I guess that's why the maximum range didn't alter: the car wouldn't compute a new one because it had no new data it was willing to work with.

Of course, I don't know why that is. Even if the GPS is not working it will show the driving time, avarage speed and so on in the drivers console. So the car does know that stuff, but won't record it without the GPS working?

Anyway, Friday morning the range had changed to 99 km. The SOH in Soul Spy is now 107.8%, the minimum deterioration is 2.7% and the maximum deterioration is 3.4%. So I cancelled the appointment with the dealer, I'm now confident the range will go back to normal after I made more trips.

I noticed the other day while monitoring the car while my son was driving down the highway that the motor temp got as high as 53c. I have also noticed that the odbc.temp3 temp rises to 53c while Level 2 charging and then drops back down to high 30s again.

Can anyone confirm that these temps are normal / expected?

ksoul2084 said:
I noticed the other day while monitoring the car while my son was driving down the highway that the motor temp got as high as 53c. I have also noticed that the odbc.temp3 temp rises to 53c while Level 2 charging and then drops back down to high 30s again.

I'm still pretty new around here, but the highest I've seen a battery go (temperature) was ~30-32C. That was after about an hour of driving, but in moderate weather (~80F).

Never looked to the motor temperature, however I have seen 35°C on the batteries during fast charge.

ksoul2084 said:
I don't know what's normal, but I've seen motor temps as high as 80C. I assume I would get some kind of warning light from the car if that was unusual.

My SOH after a few weeks driving with the new battery is 92.8%. It has been higher (at 94.9%), but recently went lower after I drove the car below 18% SOC once again. The range the car starts with is somewhere around 125km currently. So I'm guessing this is were it will stay at. It's a bit lower than when I got the car and I'm not really sure why it is stuck there. I usually drive 90 km in the morning from 100% to around 40% and in the afternoon from 100% to around 50% (more traffic so slower driving) at normal highway speeds so 100 km/h or 120 km/h depending on the location. So I think it should be more like 150 km range. That would also mean the battery should be at least at 100% SOH.

Perhaps the guess-o-meter takes a SOH into account as well? If the car thinks the battery has less kWh than it actually does that might explain the lower range. Of course I'm just guessing here.

Glad to find this group! I'm trying to decode what the readings from Soul Spy (Lite) mean. :D
Reading the thread made me realize the amount of work going into the app.

Bluetooth Dongle:
I bought: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B011NSX27A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Veepeak Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android
by Veepeak $17

March 30th, 2019 and it works on Niro EV , Used with a Pixel 3XL . Still available, claims to be compatible with Leaf Spy etc.
-john

I am the current developer of the Soul EV Spy android app. The app is based on the work of Pierre-Etienne Messier and Tyrel Haveman from 2015-2017. Without their code, as well as the many contributions and encouragements on this forum, the app would not be where it is today. So thanks for all contributions, large and small!

This is the first app ever, that I have in Google Play, so I am learning along the way. I apologize for my mistakes, past, present and future.

There are two versions of the app available from Google Play Store:

Soul EV Spy Lite: Free app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evranger.soulevspy
- Reads data from car, displays most of the data. Does not save data in files. No future improvements (except possibly some translations), DC-charger list from goingelectric.de will probably be removed.

Soul EV Spy: Paid app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evranger.soulspy
- Reads data from car, displays most of the data, stores data in files. Improvements continue: Faster if the sales will buy me some time away from my day job; slower if I have to do this in my spare time and holidays.

The Lite-version is a good choice for most owners of the Kia Soul EV having 27 kWh battery: It calculates the SOH pretty accurately (important for warranty-cases when a cell is failing), and reads more data-values than from other car models. So if the csv-files are of no interest to you, this is currently the cheapest choice. Of course I will appreciate it, if you buy the paid app anyway :)

The app has some support for every Kia and Hyundai model with a battery (I believe):
Kia: Ray EV, Soul EV, Optima PHEV (set car model = Ioniq), Niro PHEV, e-Niro and e-Soul.
Hyundai: BlueOn EV, Ioniq EV & PHEV, Kona EV

If you try the app in a HEV (Hybrid Electric Vehicle without ability to charge by cord), or a PHEV not listed above, please let me know what you find.

The app does not yet calculate SOH accurately for any other car models than the 27 kWh Kia Soul EV. I want to add the SOH calculation for all models, but to do that, I need data, for analysis. Consequently, I am working on adding GDPR-compliant upload of data, so app users can share the data with me. It appears that users will have to register, for GDPR-compliance. More to come.

A volunteer has contributed a French translation of the app texts that are “localizable”. I am planning to refactor the remaining texts that are still hardcoded as English, so if your device is configured to display French texts, please consider to notify me of places where English text are still displayed by the app.

If you want to volunteer to translate the texts in the app to another language, let me know.

I get many questions from users that are new to electric cars, EV technical terms, OBD and bluetooth. A basic user guide for the app could benefit many users. I believe my limited time is spent better on coding, so I am not working on a user guide. If you have time to volunteer starting to write the base document, you can find inspiration in the guide for Leaf Spy: http://sfbayleafs.org/wp-content/media/2014/04/Jan_2014_CEpg20-23.pdf
Something much simpler will do for starters, so do not let the size of this intimidate you. I have been adviced, and agree, that a separate thread on this forum, for newbie questions, is a good starting point for this work. So, if you want to contribute, start by checking if someone else started such a topic; and contribute there. Or start the new topic yourself, and let others contribute, to a shared document. When ready for beta-release, contact me, I will upload it to evranger.com, and add a link to it, in the apps.

You can reach me by email to [email protected], or by sending me a PM in this forum. Feel free to reach out, regarding the app.

EDIT: A user guide written by volunteers is now available, see https://evranger.com/soul-ev-spy-users%27-guide.html

Thanks for taking on the HUGE task langemand.

I have bought the paid version for the exact reason that you mentioned and hope it helps.

On the cell voltage screen it shows 4 temperatures. Does that mean that the total number of cells are in 4 banks?

Ideally I assume the temps should be the same - what does one number showing a different temperature suggest? My apologies if you have mentioned this before somewhere.

It seems nobody has started a thread as you suggest or is it "hidden" somewhere?

gday said:
I have bought the paid version for the exact reason that you mentioned and hope it helps.
Thanks!

gday said:
On the cell voltage screen it shows 4 temperatures. Does that mean that the total number of cells are in 4 banks?

Ideally I assume the temps should be the same - what does one number showing a different temperature suggest? My apologies if you have mentioned this before somewhere.
I don't know how it is arranged physically, there are just 4 temperature values from the BMS. I would expect differences due to calibration and measurement accuracy, as well as physical temperature difference, but then I am used to see data from the air-cooled Kia Soul EV 2015. I haven't looked much into 2020 data yet.

gday said:
It seems nobody has started a thread as you suggest or is it "hidden" somewhere?
I haven't heard of one started, so I guess you can initiate it, if you want to volunteer :)

Thanks once more for your input langemand.

I will try to setup a new topic as suggested but note I am not an "expert" in this forum so I may make mistakes. I will not mind being corrected!

gday said:
I will try to setup a new topic as suggested but note I am not an "expert" in this forum so I may make mistakes. I will not mind being corrected!

Thank you for creating the new topic "Soul EV Spy Questions and Answers": https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1193!

I hope we will see many basic questions and answers, to create the basis for a "Users Guide" for Soul EV Spy Lite. Hopefully one which can be read and understood by people who aren't experts in electricity, battery technology or communication protocols ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back