2015 Battery won't charge

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaleighRon

One morning I noticed my car wasn't fully charged, using my Level 2 charger in my garage.

Never had a problem before, but now when I plug it my ChargePoint EVSE, the dash lights flash as if charging has started, but I hear clicks every 5 or 10 seconds (sounds as if the charging process is being interrupted), and within, say, 45 seconds or so, the charging and light flashing stops.

I've tried this with my trickle charger too, and it shuts off the same way.

I might think this is a problem with my electric supply, but this happens at other chargers, as well.

I've called in a problem report with Kia Customer Service. They said I'm eligible to have the car shipped to MD for repair, but it's been over 2 weeks, and they haven't called back with any details.

Sounds like the On Board Charger (OBC) has died. There were a lot of those that died early on and a firmware update and test programme when taking the car in for service.

If it is the OBC then charging with a Level 3 DC Fast Charger should still work as that goes straight to the battery rather than through the OBC.

I visited a nearby Electrify America charging location, and their CHAdeMO Level 3 system worked! At least this can be a short-term solution until I can get my car repaired to accept Level 2 charging again. Thanks!

-
Here's a comment about the OBC on my car getting fixed. - Charging Fault Error
It's on the huge thread that was really busy two years ago, but now that most of us have had an OBC replacement that thread has gone quiet.

And a picture taken while my OBC was being fixed.

Back