bucolucas

Re: 2015 Soul EV: Out of State Battery Replacement

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:53 am

Any update on this? I'm looking at needing a battery replacement and am interested in the type of battery they use to replace it with.

Also I'm doubtful they would actually replace the battery with one that has exactly 70% SOH since it would only have to drop 1% for it to be replaced again

cixelsyd

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm

bucolucas wrote:Any update on this? I'm looking at needing a battery replacement and am interested in the type of battery they use to replace it with.

Also I'm doubtful they would actually replace the battery with one that has exactly 70% SOH since it would only have to drop 1% for it to be replaced again

I just received my '15 back today for a battery replacement (took 1 week start to finish). The invoice shows a remanufactured part. SoulSpy shows 96 cells, all with consistent (within .02) voltages and an estimated SOH of 110%.

bucolucas

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:51 am

What's the normal variance? You said .02 between cells, I'm seeing .2 in mine.

This is my battery while charging:

I took this screenshot after a drive that used 30% of my battery

Odd thing is the same cell that has an undervoltage while driving is over-volted while charging

cixelsyd

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 pm

Not sure what "normal" is but I think .2 is quite significantly off of that, that's about how mine were looking as well before the replacement. Looks like you have at least 2 bad cells.

Have you updated Soul Spy? The new version has a more accurate SOH estimator, what is it saying yours is at?

bucolucas

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:12 pm

It updated last night... My SOH was steadily declining over the last month from 84 to 77%.

SOH was 36.7% this morning, holy moly. I thought it was a glitch until I read your reply. But the math checks out, I typically go 30-35 miles on a charge. I chalked it up to some highway driving, and was waiting for the 70% mark before making the trek to a Kia EV dealership.

Should probably move that up a bit now.

cixelsyd

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:53 am

bucolucas wrote:It updated last night... My SOH was steadily declining over the last month from 84 to 77%.

SOH was 36.7% this morning, holy moly. I thought it was a glitch until I read your reply. But the math checks out, I typically go 30-35 miles on a charge. I chalked it up to some highway driving, and was waiting for the 70% mark before making the trek to a Kia EV dealership.

Should probably move that up a bit now.

Yes, this was exactly my experience. Definitely get it in to them. You may have to push to get them to actually look at the SOH test, I had a hell of a time with it but eventually got it sorted.

Related, my remanufactured battery is showing 100% SOH after a full calibration cycle (run to <20% then charge to 100%. min and max det both read 1%.

bucolucas

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am

Off the phone with Kia, they gave me a case number and said someone would get in touch for shipping arrangements... Closest dealership that can work on EVs is 600-900 miles away (I'm in KS)

Also said they could get me a loaner car in the meantime.

Much less runaround than I was expecting. I'll stay in touch with whatever dealership works on it to make sure they run a SOH.

They made a note that I had to run the diagnostics myself lol... The rep took down the name of the app (Soul Spy) and the method of diagnosis (Bluetooth OBD) hopefully it helps them with cases like this

Roci

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 am

bucolucas wrote:Any update on this? I'm looking at needing a battery replacement and am interested in the type of battery they use to replace it with.

Sorry for lack of update on my original case, I had been searching for my OBDII adapter so I could give real data to back up what I was seeing with my new battery pack, but have given up on finding it.

In short, we got the car back on March 16, so it was at the out of state dealership for just under 2 months, and it is like a completely new car now. I highly recommend anybody with serious degradation to go through the hassle of getting their pack replaced, even though it will be with a re-manufactured pack. I was also fully reimbursed for the rental car I had to get from Enterprise, because our local dealership would not offer us a rental car since they were not the ones actually doing the work. The calculated range now is 92 miles at 97% charge. I will post any updates on SOH and/or cell count if I can get a CAN capture.

wyatt

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Hey Roci, how did you enter the PIDs into the Fusion app for the ELM 327? I see where to enter custom PIDs but it isn't clear what the PID# is on the GitHub docs... and I assume the last column is the Metric to English Offset value?

Trying to do this without having to buy an Android device :roll:

Roci

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 am

Yes it is confusing converting between the Torque PID values and Fusion PIDs, but here are the ones I got working through trial and error. All of this is valid only for a 27kWh battery, you can adapt it for the a different battery from the data at https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs.

Code: Select all

Name                                Description  Units  Min Value  Max Value  PID Number  Equation
000_Available Charge Power          Max REGEN    kW     0          98         01          ((F * 256) + G) / 100
000_Available Discharge Power       Max POWER    kW     0          98         01          ((H * 256) + I) / 100
000_Battery Cell Voltage Deviation  V Diff       V      0          0.5        05          U / 50
000_Maximum Cell Voltage            Max Cell V   V      2.8        4.2        01          X / 50
000_Minimum Cell Voltage            Min Cell V   V      2.8        4.2        01          Z / 50
000_Maximum Deterioration           Max DET      %      0          100        05          ((Z * 256) + AA) / 10
000_Minimum Deterioration           Max DET      %      0          100        05          ((AC * 256) + AD) / 10
000_State of Charge Display         SOC Disp     %      0          100        05          AF / 2

The following values are the same across all of these PIDs:
  • Category: Engine
  • Manufacturer: Generic
  • Metric/English Units: Use the same units for both
  • Metric to English Scale Factor: 1
  • Metric to English Offset: 0
  • Module/Header: 7E4
  • OBD Mode: 21
  • Priority: High

To get the State of Health % out of these numbers, I used the following equations. I'm sure you could get Fusion to do this math automatically but I was just doing it as simple as possible for me at the time:

Lost SOH = 27 * ((10 - (MaxDeterioration + MinDeterioration) / 2) / 100
SOH in kWh = 27 + LostSOH
SOH in % = LostSOH / 27 * 100

Return to “Batteries and Charging”