Cliff

2016 Soul EV+ Battery Replacement - Remanufactured?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Our 2016 Soul EV+ suffered battery degradation to the point the battery qualified for replacement under warranty (below 70% state of health). Just got the car back today after waiting 6 weeks for the battery to arrive.

The dealer (in Orange County, CA) assured me that the battery pack was indeed new, not remanufactured. However, when I arrived home and looked through the receipt in detail... the part number seems to indicate a remanufactured unit.

Installed part number: 37510 E4200R REMAN PACK ASSY-BATT

Looking at the Kia site, a new battery pack has the same part number, sans the "R" and "REMAN".

Has anyone who had their battery pack replaced noticed the same thing? Do they always use remanufactured battery packs?

Kish

Re: 2016 Soul EV+ Battery Replacement - Remanufactured?

Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 am

FWIW, mine doesn't look like to be remanufactured/refurb.

37510 E4000 PACK ASSY-BATTERY

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you're getting 27 kWh usable, it doesn't really matter whether it's new or refurb. To be fair, the battery warranty does clearly state that they may give you a new or refurb battery pack, and with at least 70% SoH.

... for capacity loss below 70%
of the original battery capacity. This warranty
covers repairs needed to return battery capacity to
70% of original battery capacity....
If necessary, the EV Battery will be
replaced with either a new or remanufactured
Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery. Any repair or
replacement made under this Lithium-Ion Polymer
Battery Capacity Coverage may not return your
Lithium-Ion Battery to an “as new” condition with
the original 100% battery capacity."

Battery Capacity Warranty
2015 Soul EV+ | 45k miles
2017 Bolt EV Premier | 45k miles

JejuSoul

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 am

-
Looking through the multiple posts on the US Facebook Forum about replacement batteries, there are some anecdotes that since the start of this year Kia are using refurbished batteries not new ones. The failures are all in 'hot' states. Arizona, Texas and California desert.
An example Soul EV - US Facebook : 18th Jan 2019
Also it seems a 6 month delay was common.
Gene White wrote:The car would drive but have limited range due to the battery degrading. And the battery is unavailable because Kia chose to discontinue production so they could focus on the new battery packs for the second generation Kia EV‘s. Kia has no additional batteries and is having to re-manufacture the batteries for the first generation cars so you’re getting used components when they replaced the battery rather than all new.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Roci

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:03 am

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I was told before my replacement that there was a change in suppliers this year for the batteries, but they didn't know anything else about it. They later told me that it probably just meant it was coming from a different distributor. But looking at my invoice, I also see mine is remanufactured as well. The full part number is 37510-E4200R REMAN PACK ASSY.

JejuSoul

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:03 pm

-
Latest news from Quebec is that battery replacements for the 27kWh cars are now being doing with 30kWh packs.
Not sure yet on the details, will post again.
Perhaps they have run out completely of the older cells.
Also perhaps they are software limiting the 30kWh packs somehow.

--------------

Some comments on the 30kWh pack replacement - Quebec Kia Soul EV Forum: Comments by Phil Duff
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

RubberToe

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Jeju,
Since my battery was replaces a few weeks ago, our 100% charge is now giving 110+ miles of range. Let me know if there is anything I can provide to help you figure this out. I had the Torque Pro app installed on my old phone, but have a new phone now and haven't yet installed the app. If I did that it would probably answer the question of pack size, right?

Just installed Torque Pro on my new phone. I seem to remember that the installation of the Soul EV files were quite painful, but I will try that this weekend if I have some time for a science experiment.

I also texted the dealer who did the battery replacement if the replacement battery was also under warranty to the same 100,000 mile or 10 year deadline, but they never got back to me on that. Them installing bigger batteries makes sense, if they don't want to have to do multiple replacements per car.

RT

JejuSoul

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:46 am

RubberToe wrote:...
I also texted the dealer who did the battery replacement if the replacement battery was also under warranty to the same 100,000 mile or 10 year deadline, but they never got back to me on that. ..RT

Great news that you got your car back and it is good as new.
I think your battery is the same 27kWh.
The warranty will carry on from when the car was first sold, not start again from when the pack was replaced.

To know for sure what battery you got look at your invoice. Or ...
Download the SoulEVSpy app and look at the cell map.

If it looks like this (96 cells) it is the same as the original.

If it shows 100 cells you have a newer bigger pack.

----------------------

Update: 8th April 2019
One of the 3 cars in Quebec that claimed to have a bigger 30kWh battery pack is now known not to.
When tested with Torque using the 30kWh codes we see there is no cell 97. see - Facebook: KiaSoulEVQuebec: March 25 at 8:19 PM

Return to “Batteries and Charging”