biffidum

Summer rims and tires

Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 am

Let me start by saying that I did attempt to search the forum for info... but my sub-par search skills turned up little useful info.

I purchased a used set of snowflake Kia rims from a regular Kia for summer time use (245/40R18). Admittedly the tires are a wider (9" wide) than the stock EV rims (8") and they are substantially heavier... my thinking was that since they were from a Kia Soul, that they should be fine for my EV. When I went in for a service they flagged the rims as not stock... and huffed and puffed... I asked them to recommend some rims and they never got back to me.

Here is my dilemma;
1) I want to buy some after market rims that are lighter and narrower with lower rolling resistance tires (my summer range is 118km with wide heavy snowflake wheels - the same as my factory rims with snow tires in the WINTER)
2) The rims need to tickle my motorhead spot ...sorry no EV rims :(
3) I don't want to void my warranty as I am at 100,000km and my battery is slowly deteriorating... don't want to miss that battery replacement if needed... the battery will likely live past the warranty before getting below 70% capacity :( Unless I hammer it for the next 6 months (stupid idea)
4) I have been looking at l7x7 Sparco Assetto rims and 205/55R17 Kumho Majesty tires. This pair puts me only 0.2" out total diameter and has the same width as stock tires (205/60R16)... 1/3 of the weight!

Ok, what are your thoughts? Warranty issues? Wheel tire combos people have tried?

sample image of snowflakes on an older Soul:
2016 Kia Soul
Eaton 30Amp Power Station charger
52,000kms and counting

invader166

Re: Summer rims and tires

Thu May 28, 2020 7:15 am

Considering you're past the 5-year/100,000km Powertrain Warranty that covers the axles, and drive-shafts, you're free to do as you please.

As far as I know the 8-year/150,000km EV Components warranty is completely unrelated.

Going to a lighter set-up should be overall better all around, so a new wheel and tire set is probably a safe bet.

Cheers.

SoulMan

Re: Summer rims and tires

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:10 pm

My EV Soul came with 215/55 all season tires on 17" rims.

For winter driving, I swapped these out with 235/45 winter tires on 18" rims which I already had. These were from a non-EV Kia Soul. These are low-profile tires on a larger wheel, so gave the exact same tire height - but they are 3/4" wider.

This gave great traction and offered noticeable improvement in handling - but I did notice worse "mileage" with the heavier wheels.

I also had to live with a constant TPMS warning light since the winter tires didn't have them and it would have been expensive to swap the TPMS sensors.

Return to “News and Main Soul EV Forum Discussions”