Adding a Level 2 Charger at my Home?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcalvada

Loving my recently purchased 2017 Kia Soul EV. Novice Question: There is an unused 240 V outlet in my kitchen. Appears to have been used by a previous occupant for an electric dryer...complete with outside vent. If I purchased a Level 2 charger, could I plug that right into the 240V kitchen outlet and run it through the unused vent(hole in the wall) and then plug into my car charger outside? Currently doing this with my Level 1 charger(except, of course, using a regular wall outlet in the kitchen).

You need to follow the local regulations for where you live. In the UK, your charger would need to be permanently wired and supplied through a dedicated Type B RCBO ( Residual Current Circuit Breaker with Overcurrent Protection) and grounded via a local earth rod or special electronic unit. This is to address safety hazards which may arise from certain defects in the car, the charger and the wiring installation.

I'm presuming you are USA / Canada from the way you talk about a 240V outlet for a dryer and having a level 1 EVSE currently.

North American dryer outlets are a NEMA 14-30 and are fused at 30A. Most EVSE with a plug have a NEMA 14-50 plug. EVSE are continuous load and so they can only use 80% of the circuits capacity. You can find some 20A EVSE with a 14-30 plug, but they aren't common.

Also beware that you should have a short cord from the outlet to the EVSE and a long wire from the EVSE to the car. Don't play around with adaptors and extension leads on the supply side of the EVSE.

Not exactly following this, as I'm not that familiar with electrical terms.

So for right now, I am having some difficulties with my first attempt at charging. Dealer told he just plug in the Type 1 charger that comes with the car either to a regular electrical outlet. I am doing that. Earlier when plugged in the power and charge lights were both lit up.

Had to unplug temporarily last hour. Since then, I re-plugged and now only the power light is lit.

Also, the manual shows a little electric icon that goes on when you are charging. It also was one earlier, but not on now.

The owner's manual said you need to have the parking brake on....it's still on.

UPDATE: I detached the charger from the car and closed the charger door. Got inside the car and started all over again. Now it seems to be working OK. That was, no doubt the problem?

maxcalvada said:
Not exactly following this, as I'm not that familiar with electrical terms.

So for right now, I am having some difficulties with my first attempt at charging. Dealer told he just plug in the Type 1 charger that comes with the car either to a regular electrical outlet. I am doing that. Earlier when plugged in the power and charge lights were both lit up.

Had to unplug temporarily last hour. Since then, I re-plugged and now only the power light is lit.

Also, the manual shows a little electric icon that goes on when you are charging. It also was one earlier, but not on now.

The owner's manual said you need to have the parking brake on....it's still on.

UPDATE: I detached the charger from the car and closed the charger door. Got inside the car and started all over again. Now it seems to be working OK. That was, no doubt the problem?
Type 1 and Type 2 is UK/European, Level 1 and Level 2 is Canada/U.S. Which market are you in?

Has the problem gone away and stayed away?

If it is indeed a NEMA 14-30 dryer plug, then you can get a level 2 EVSE with a NEMA 14-30 plug off of Ebay no problem at all. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I were in your situation! :)

Back