How much kWh does a full charge take?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizfinger

Whilst researching my range issues (getting only ±50 km on a full charge), I looked at my charging history and found that the car only takes about 9-10 kWh to charge from ±3% to ±80%. This seems strange to me, as the battery can hold 27 kWh.

Am I right in thinking that in theory, a 27 kWh car should take 27 kWh when charged from 0% to 100%?

And that a 0% to 80% charge will require 21 kWh (which is 80% of 27 kWh)?

Yes, that's correct. In fact it will take a little more because the charging isn't 100% efficient. There's some power used to run all the electronics that control the charging, plus losses in converting from the incoming voltage to the battery voltage.

Wizfinger said:
Whilst researching my range issues (getting only ±50 km on a full charge), I looked at my charging history and found that the car only takes about 9-10 kWh to charge from ±3% to ±80%. This seems strange to me, as the battery can hold 27 kWh....

From the above, and disregarding charging losses, your battery capacity is less than 13kWh. (10kWh*100/(80-3)) So your SOH is less than 48%.

Charging at lower speeds takes longer. With the electronics needing a constant amount of power, this means that more power is wasted.

Back