S1 At Home Charging Problems: 2018 Soul

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcalvada

The car salesman said just click it in and plug it into an outlet and there you go. This is hardly the case, I'm finding out.

I've somehow managed to get the charge going through many attempts...up until not. It's seems like there a multi step process here.

The instructions say to Engage the parking brake with the car turned on. Then turn it off. Then hit the button that opens the charging door and then connect the charger. Tonight, every time I open the car to get out, the parking brake light goes off. Needless to say it won't charge. It's about 10 degrees here, if that accounts for anything.

I find the manual instructions a little to follow.

Any suggestions?

The big thing is having the timed charging button pushed in before plugging it in. I always set the parking brake anyway, but I don't think it matters. Turn the car off, make sure the timed charging button is in, plug the EVSE in to the wall first and then the car, and it should charge.

If that doesn't work then check what lights are on the EVSE and the car.

So you have to use the timed charger to charge. So I should have that pushed in and then I have to set the day of the week/start time/end time on the dashboard monitor. I thought that just an option.

The manual's instructions to have the parking brake on is just a safety suggestion? In other others I can open the door and make sure the timed charger is punched in, set the timing and day and then hit the charging door release button and plug in like you said and that should do it. That way I can't do the whole thing with the power never turned on?

Thanks again for your help?

If only the middle blue light is flashing, that means it's connected but waiting for the scheduled time to start. There's a button to override the scheduled charge timer, it's where the button for the heated steering wheel and dash light brightness is. Press it, unplug your car and plug it in again.

Best of luck.

The parking brake light always goes out when the door is opened - and if the driving lamps are on, they will also go out. It does not affect the charging.

You do not have to use the timer facility. Pressing the button in overrides the timer setting, and charging should start immediately.

You should always plug the trickle charger into the wall socket before plugging the cable into the car. If you plug into the car first, charging will not start. Check the lamps on the box light, and end up with the green light burning. The transmission must be in P. If all is well, the charging lamp on the instrument panel should light. If it does not, check whether the green and orange lamps on the box are on. If it is only the green, the car has not recognised the charger.

Note: The plugging in sequence is reversed for using a wall-mounted charger which does not have a captive charging cable. In that case, you plug the car in first, and then the box on the wall, and then switch the box on if it has an associated supply switch.

Back