Bosch charger fried and 2016 will not charge

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tls1

Hi,

last night I plugged the Bosch 240v charger into the car. The car started charging fine. After about 45 mins everything shut down.

Now the Bosch charger does not light up (ev200) no red or greed lights on the panel. I have a 40amp GFI breaker. It did not pop last night. If I press the GFI test button it works correctly.

I then tried charging the car with the 110v Kia charger. The power light comes on solid (not flashing). I plug it into the car and charge light comes on the charger, the car makes a few clicks, and then the charge light turns off on the charger. The 3 blue lights above the dash never turn on.

I turned on the car, and on both displays its "external charger error". Another time I turned it on its says "charger error", both times with the charger unplugged from the car.

So the Bosch fried the car or the car fried the bosch. But basically the bosch is unusable and the car cannot charge. I wonder if this happens often? Do I have any recourse with either Kia or Bosch? One of them broke the other... Appt Monday at Kia.

I called Bosch, they do not repair. The car is 5 years old (2016).

I hope to get the car fixed under warranty (5 yrs old)... as part of the battery...but who knows?

Ideas? Suggestions?

thanks!
Terry

Warranty is 8 years/160,000km so I wouldn't worry unless you're beyond the mileage limit - even then..

OBC has died and will be replaced under the powertrain warranty, it's common. But I think you are out of luck with the Bosch and will just have to buy a new EVSE.

-
This was a common error about 5 years ago. Discussed at length on the Charging Fault Error thread.
For a list of 'smoked' Bosch EVSE's see
Dec 2016 : Charging Fault error

Almost everyone got a replacement OBC from warranty and this hasn't been much of an issue recently.
Let's hope all the replacements don't start failing now.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to figure out if the car killed the Bosch charger or vice versa. I its the car, will Kia pay for the Bosch?

Anyways the cheapest 30A charger I found for a replacement is:

Morec EV Charger Level 2 32 Amp 7.68KW Portable Electric Vehicle Charger, NEMA 14-50 110V-240V 28 FT EV Charging Cable Station, SAE J1772 Compatible All Electric Vehicle Cars

for $430 CDN. No tax on Amazon ca site. delivery tomorrow...
Your thoughts on this charger?

Note: The Bosch EV200 charger 30A/18ft cable is $900 CDN, and the EV400 30A/25ft cable is $839 CDN. They told me I could get a 10% discount.

Cheers
Terry

tls1 said:
...I'm trying to figure out if the car killed the Bosch charger or vice versa. I its the car, will Kia pay for the Bosch?

Kia has never admitted any fault. They are unlikely to do so now.
It is only Bosch chargers that do this when the Kia OBC goes wrong.
I am surprised Bosch hasn't updated their EVSE software to fix this.

I suggest you chat to the Quebec Soul EV owners group if you want more details on how this issue was dealt with in the past in regards to who pays to fix the charger.

Hi all,

The Soul EV went in today for repair. I got a call from the Kia dealer. They checked the car and they indicated the charger within the Kia is dead and needs replacing.

They then told me it is not under warranty and they would contact Kia Canada to try to get a good will replacement as the part is "very expensive". I was shocked! The person said they would call me back.

I checked the Kia Canada 2016 Soul EV warranty and it clearly says that the following is under warranty for 96 months of 160,000km. My kia is 5 years old in July 2021, with about 28,000km:

Motor
Inverter unit
VCM
DC/DC Converter
Onboard charger
Onboard charger connector
trickle charge cable
in cable control box
high voltage battery

Still waiting the call back. Could it be some other part is broken. and I misunderstood? Or could it be that the service guy was not familiar wih the warranty? Who knows.... unneeded stress!

More to come...

thoughts?

Cheers
Terry

Hi

I just spoke to the dealer. They indicated that there was recall (some years ago) for the OBC and mine was fine. Now there saying because the the recall was done, the OBC may not be covered by the warranty. This is crazy!

The dealer will call me tomorrow after everything is sorted with Kia Canada. He figures minimum a week for the repair.

Terry

I think the dealer is mistaken and it will all get sorted out and the OBC will be covered under warranty.
Mine blew earlier this year and was replaced under warranty, no questions asked. They had also checked it out a coupe of years ago when the recall came out, so basically identical to yours. My car is a little older and 3x the distance of yours, do no reason for yours to have the warranty denied.

Hi

Kia dealer called back. The OBC will be replaced under warranty. However, there are no replacement parts in Canada, so it has to come from Korea. Still waiting to find out a date.

I also called Kia Canada about the Bosch charger. They said I have to speak with the Manager at the dealer. He's on vaca until July 13.... terrific!

Anyone know if Kia will fix/replace/contribute to the Bosch?

Morec EV charger Level 2 32 Amp 7.68KW Portable Electric Vehicle Charger, NEMA 14-50 110V-240V 28 FT EV Charging Cable Station, SAE J1772 Compatible All Electric Vehicle Cars

for $430 CDN. No tax on Amazon ca site. delivery tomorrow...
Your thoughts on this charger?

Cheers
and thanks for all the help!
Terry

Hi,

Just called dealer and the service rep indicated the part will not arrive until mid august. Ouch! Again, I asked for a loaner, he said the part has to be back ordered for 5 days to get a loaner. I reminded him that he has the car a week now since June 28. VERY disappointing. He then said all his loaners are already lent out. I asked for a rental then (paid by Kia), he said the manager is on vacation until next Monday. This is crazy, because someone is on vacation, an answer cannot be provided.....

Terry

I've recently had several estimates from my dealer of parts that are going to take months only taking a week, including the OBC, so hopefully it doesn't take that long.

Keep calling the dealership about a loaner though. It doesn't matter that the manager is out, they will have passed the authority on to someone else, either up or down the management chain, all to speak to that person. Threaten to call Kia Canada and tell them how upset you are with your experience. The dealers are expected to keep the customers happy otherwise Kia Canada gets very upset with them.

Hi,

Thanks notfred!

I did ask the service rep who is replacing the manager during his absence. He told me no one, and we have to wait until Monday (next) when he returns. LOL...my wife who speaks much better French than I will call tomorrow, the rep is French and his English is very difficult to understand.

Glad to hear that some peeps got their parts much sooner than told. I hope to be as lucky.

I also, just received an email from my city Cote St. Luc, Quebec that the city is giving a grant of $250 for EV charger. Well that made my day! They say "The home charging station must be approved by the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources – Roulez Vert Quebec Government program.". So this will help with the cost of a new charger. Ouf but they want a master electrician to install... there goes the $250... lets hope they approve a $500 unit, as opposed to the Bosch which costs $1000.

I'll give an update tomorrow after the wife speaks with the dealer. Lets see what she can do :)

Cheers
Happy Independence day to all our American friends!
Terry

Hi y'all,

so I opened up the Bosch and there are 2 fuses in the upper left hand corner seimens 240v 50a. both are blown. I will take a gamble and buy some.

2 x Bussmann 50LET 240 volts 50 amp

cheapest i found is at witonics... $17 USD each... need 2 and the shipping is $39 to Canada via DHL... lol...ship is more expensive than the product.

Next cheapest I found was about $100 each....

anyone know where to get these for a reasonable price and reasonable shipping?

Thanks
Terry

All the standard Digikey, Mouser, Newark are showing around the $100 each that you already found.

Hi,

I ordered 2 LET50 fuses (because mine were both blown) ... they're very expensive for a fuse...lol. But I found some used on ebay. $17USD for a pair, plus $19 for shipping... lol... shipping cost more than the product.... I should receive them early next week.

I can easily install them...2 screws each... and I can turn on the Bosch (without a car plugged in) to see if it works (ie: it lights up).

Any other thoughts on what test/check before plugging in a car?

Regards,
Terry

All the EVSE does is a bunch of monitoring and signalling on low voltage pins before actually just switching on the main power lines. On the Bosch that's done by a little computer, so if you give it power and the computer boots up and lights that green light on the front, I'm sure it will work.

If you really want to go the extra mile, understand electronics and have access to a scope then the signalling information is detailed on the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

Back