2016 Unable to Charge

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDee

As per title I noticed today that despite being plugged into my home charger and displaying the charging lights accordingly, the car wouldn't actually start charging and quits a few minutes later. No error messaged displayed, and after a few attempts I figured that perhaps with the winter storm we've had today maybe the port just was frozen up - however after trying to deice it with various methods I finally figured I'd accept defeat until I could use a hairdryer or park inside somewhere warm and figured I'd just use a fast charger to hold me over until then. However, after two attempts at a fast charger I still couldn't charge. Again no error on the dash but rather just the charger with no real info.

My understanding is if the OBC fails the QC functionality should still work, so I'm worried that its not..
Any ideas?

I think I remember this happening to someone else, and the OBC was the cause, but there was no fault indication mentioned. Didn't I read that the early models had quite a number of OBC failures?

It seems so. I was able to dig up another post on here that linked to this:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10119118-9999.pdf

Looks like I'll be popping by the dealership later today. Yay..

Dealership was able to get a look at it today and it's the onboard charger. All in: $3200..

Out of warranty, but hopeful that I can escalate with Kia Canada and get either a full courtesy replacement, or at least them willing to cover the part. Will update.

Back