Charger installation costs

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachman

I am in the process of getting a charger and looking at installation quotes and thought I'd share this. This is for costs near Toronto, Ontario.
I have two quotes - one at $600 incl labour, materials, inspection and another at $1500 all in as well. Seems as soon as you mention EV charger to some electricians some can think you are a Tesla owner and don't care about cost. The permit/inspection fee in Ontario is about $75 (and homeowners are permitted to do their own electrical work if they get it inspected). actual out of pocket materials in my case will be about $200 (mainly the wire) plus inspection since I need 35m of wire, so to do it myself would be $280 Cdn.

materials needed are:
8 guage wire is $4.20 to $5.00 per metre
a breaker at approx $20
hard wired so no plug needed

In Ontario 50% of the installation can be claimed for a rebate, along with 50% of the purchase cost of a charger that is on their list.

Because of the rebate, I'll probably get an electrician to do it.

so an update.
three quotes
$1700, $1500, $1000 from three different electricians
this just doesn't seem reasonable to me for running a line from an unfinished basement through to an unfinished garage about 100 feet total.
my confirmed out of pocket cost is $250 for all materials and including the inspection permit.
I am just going to do this myself and forget about any government rebates, but wondering if this is typical of a jacked up rate when electricians quote on a vehicle charger
typically around here you pay $100/hr for an electrician out of the yellow pages, so can't see how this is a 7 to 15 hour job, more like 2 hrs.

Are you planning on running bare wire in the garage or actually putting it in metal conduit? I think code requires the metal conduit and that may increase your costs.

6 AWG romex from the breaker panel, through the unfinished basement joists, through to the empty/unfinished garage attic - then 10ft down on outside garage wall so was going to use conduit for the last 10 feet from ceiling to charger - so minimal cost for the conduit even for metal.

8 AWG seems what should be used, but since the run is approx 100ft I've read better to use 6AWG to minimize any drop in voltage.

My guy used 4mm2 cable to install my chargepoint, and I wished he had used 6mm2 as the wires get distinctly warm during charging, so obviously I am wasting energy, maybe 3-4 Watts per metre.

However, 6mm2 is only about 9 AWG according to http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html so I would think 8 AWG would be no problem at all. I am assuming you're talking about a 30 amp charger?

I am going to install the Bosch 30amp charger, but the run is just over 100ft so 8AWG is minimum, but 6 would be better since I could upgrade to 40amp charger I guess in the future -but probably will go with 8 since it looks like the 6 is a big upgrade on cost.

I find the 8 gauge wire gets a bit warm during charging. I only have a 6' run from my breaker panel to the charger ... I agree with you on that ... for 100', I would go up a step to be safe ... in theory, you could install a small pony (sub) panel in the garage, with a larger 60A breaker in you main panel and a 40A breaker for your charger and dedicated 15A breaker and outlet right off the pony panel at the end of the 100' run ... then you have a good quality 15A circuit should you ever need it if the L2 charger breaks.

I had an electrician install my Bosch 30A charger but we ran 60A into the garage from the panel on the other side of the garage wall across maybe 30ft run on the garage ceiling. I think he used 6 AWG for that. I ran the 60A in case in the future I got another plug-in car and wanted a second charger on the same run or if I bought a new car in the future that supported higher amp charging - I figured may as well just get the future-proofing donw while I was getting 50% back on install cost from the gov't!

Anyway, I think it's going to be about $750 CDN all in for the work (might be a little more as I had him sneak in a couple other minor things while he was doing that).

Back