Charging cable for 240V - which one?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aha

Hi,

A newbie with a novice question here so please be patient. My garage has 240V (4 prongs connector) and I am wondering which cable is the right one to buy so I can fully charge my Soul faster than the standard level 1 cable.
Thank you.

aha said:
Hi,

A newbie with a novice question here so please be patient. My garage has 240V (4 prongs connector) and I am wondering which cable is the right one to buy so I can fully charge my Soul faster than the standard level 1 cable.
Thank you.

It would help to know your location so that folks can recommend something that is available in your country. Please take a moment to update your profile and add your location.

aha said:
Hi,

Thank you.

I'm going to guess you are in the US. If this is the case you might consider one of the Panasonic units from EVSEupgrade.com. They were originally from a Nissan LEAF and have been modified to be programmable up to 20A on 240V. You just purchase the right adapter to match the plug you have. It sounds like you have a NEMA 14-50 plug so you could get the 14 Universal L6-30 Adapter - For 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 outlets and use it at RV parks if you are traveling and need to charge at one.

If you want a wall mounted unit you would want to get a plugin version so you don't have to have an electrician hardwire it in for you.

I have a Clipper Creek unit that I've been very happy with. I must admit I'd be tempted by the new ChargePoint Home unit if I had to do it over again, given that the ChargePoint has wireless connectivity and talks to the Nest.

mtndrew1 said:
I have a Clipper Creek unit that I've been very happy with. I must admit I'd be tempted by the new ChargePoint Home unit if I had to do it over again, given that the ChargePoint has wireless connectivity and talks to the Nest.

It sure looks nice and I was tempted (as I am in the market for an EVSE) but I wish it was a little cheaper.

Here is a noob question (coming from someone who has never used an EVSE).......Does it really help to have an EVSE with a mobile app to remote start, schedule and set charging reminders when we can do all that from settings with in the car?

No you want a dumb EVSE. In fact if the EVSE starts messing around with the signals because it thinks it isn't time yet then the car can decide that there is a problem with the EVSE and not charge from it.

It may make sense for other Electric Vehicles, but the Soul EV just wants a dumb EVSE.

I just got a 2016 Soul EV-E. It doesn't have any of the connectivity that the base and plus models do. It's a "sub" base model that I think is only offered in a few markets. Anyway, I chose to go with the JuiceBox with WiFi. That way I can control the timing of the charging and track my usage through the EVSE.

If you've got one of the more common models (base and plus) then you can do that through the cars onboard technology like notfred suggested.

inphoenix said:
mtndrew1 said:

It sure looks nice and I was tempted (as I am in the market for an EVSE) but I wish it was a little cheaper.

Here is a noob question (coming from someone who has never used an EVSE).......Does it really help to have an EVSE with a mobile app to remote start, schedule and set charging reminders when we can do all that from settings with in the car?

The ability to start and end a charge on the EVSE side is of no interest to me given the car's ability to do this, but I really like the idea of being able to see charge histories, consumption patterns, kWh dispensed, and the like via the ChargePoint app. I'm a nerd and I like seeing the charge draw and taper, watch when the car does cell balancing, that sort of thing. ChargePoint is good for that.

aha said:
Hi,

Thank you.

Did Kia give you a voucher for a charger?

Back