charger

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo

I'm going with this one once i get my incentive for the truck

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress

I got a voucher with my truck for about 500$ off any of the bosch charge units...

this is there best unit they sell for level 2

I like it because it could be portable
you can adjust the current limits if you wanted to
It is also plug in

could make various adapters so you could plug it into different style level 2 outlets if you wanted to bring it with you

I wish it worked on 120 & 240v .. it would be awsome if they added that

Just be aware that the Bosch ones are not eligible for the 50% rebate on costs and installation ($500 max on both).

I went with Bosch and got one of the plain 30A 18ft cord hard wired units because I still came out ahead of buying one that was on the rebate list. If I was buying something as expensive as the one you are looking at I think I would have gone with something on the rebate list:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

steveo said:
I'm going with this one once i get my incentive for the truck

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress

I got a voucher with my truck for about 500$ off any of the bosch charge units...

this is there best unit they sell for level 2

I like it because it could be portable
you can adjust the current limits if you wanted to
It is also plug in

could make various adapters so you could plug it into different style level 2 outlets if you wanted to bring it with you

I wish it worked on 120 & 240v .. it would be awsome if they added that

or, if you are at least a little handy with electronics, build an openevse. 25 foot cord 50 amp kit is around $450 usd including shipping if I recall correctly. I just put one of these together and it's fantastic. If you only need 30 amp, you can get the lower power kit which allows level 1 or 2.. and you can set the current easily with a push button in 2 amp increments. Has all the proper j1772 safety features too.

IMHO the bosch is vastly overpriced for what you get. Also they p%ssed me off when they tried to up sell me on the voucher provided by kia. Then after getting the run around and waiting over a week to hear back about my order for the default 16 amp kit with 12 foot cord, it turns out the units are on backorder... talk about bait and switch (never mind that such a evse is practically useless.. they again tried to up sell me a different unit when they said the 16a is not available). Borderline illegal selling practices.. but since the difference in price (the upsell) is close to the all in price for a much better openevse unit, I couldn't be bothered calling them (Bosch) on their shady business practices.

How did you get your voucher? Was it put in the mail? When we leased our car we weren't given much of anything. i have been doing a lot of my own homework to decide which charger to install. I just took delivery of the car yesterday.

hasema said:
How did you get your voucher? Was it put in the mail? When we leased our car we weren't given much of anything. i have been doing a lot of my own homework to decide which charger to install. I just took delivery of the car yesterday.

Dealer gave it to me.
I didn't end up using it, as I wanted something more versatile. Instead, I ordered and built an OpenEVSE and I have nothing but great things to say about it!

If you are at all handy with basic assembly and some electrical skills, I'd highly recommend it.

If not and you want the bosch (and the dealer won't give you a voucher) let me know. Are you in the States, Canada, or elsewhere?

hasema said:

I have a soft copy of the Kia voucher and I can email it to you if you need it .... all you have to do is fill it in with your VIN and send it to Bosch and give them a call.
BTW, if you're in Ontario just be aware that Bosch EVSE is not eligible for the Ontario EVSE rebate..... I had the Bosch EVSE installed at work.

notfred said:
Just be aware that the Bosch ones are not eligible for the 50% rebate on costs and installation ($500 max on both).

I went with Bosch and got one of the plain 30A 18ft cord hard wired units because I still came out ahead of buying one that was on the rebate list. If I was buying something as expensive as the one you are looking at I think I would have gone with something on the rebate list:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

the power xpress is on the rebate list? am i missing something here? am i not eligible for the 500$ off installation & another 500$ off the cost of the charger

"SPX Power Xpress
Wallmount
EL-50600-A
"

off the ministry website
------------------

i have alot of electronics experience, i'm all for building a diyer bigger and better charge.. my concern is a fire if the charger fails... will home insurance cover it... think about it !

-steveo

steveo said:
notfred said:

the power xpress is on the rebate list? am i missing something here? am i not eligible for the 500$ off installation & another 500$ off the cost of the charger

"SPX Power Xpress
Wallmount
EL-50600-A
"

off the ministry website
------------------

i have alot of electronics experience, i'm all for building a diyer bigger and better charge.. my concern is a fire if the charger fails... will home insurance cover it... think about it !

-steveo

yeah, I could see your concern.. so build the version with the metal enclosure. ;)

Fire insurance is important in an economic sense, but it won't help you in an actual fire (safety). I'd trust my quadruple check built project that I deliberately over build, over many of the commercial EVSEs available (some don't even follow proper J1772 spec)... but that's just me. I guess I've seen too many "professional" hack jobs in the trades, and crappy consumer grade products, that I'd sooner take time and care and trust my own work.

Anyway, the EVSE is literally just a smart cord. It does very little in the way of complexity (the heavy lifting happens in the car's on board charger). The only portions of the unit I'd be concerned with are the cabling and contactor (in a fire safety sense)... Both of which are highly overbuilt in the OpenEVSE.

steveo said:

"SPX Power Xpress
Wallmount
EL-50600-A
"

off the ministry website
Wow, thanks for that. Wonder why it says SPX rather than Bosch? It still links to the same website though, all rather bizarre.

Back