maxcalvada

My Soul EV's Full Charge Is About 10 Miles Less In Colder Weather(below 50 degrees)

Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Why would this be. I don't have a heated garage....charge it outside.

IanL

Re: My Soul EV's Full Charge Is About 10 Miles Less In Colder Weather(below 50 degrees)

Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:59 am

Are you referring to kWh or Ah charge value obtained from the OBD2 port, or the GOM? If it's the GOM, it seems to knock 10 or so miles off if the heating/aircon is on - switching it off increases the value displayed. Also, my GOM predicts about 120 in winter ( say 5degC) and 150 in summer (say 25 degC).

If it's the kWh values, I have limited records which do not show a seasonal difference.

It seems intuitively correct that the battery chemistry would be more sluggish at lower temperatures, and somewhat less efficient, and that might be even with battery heating. Bearing friction may be more at lower temperatures as well. I expect the GOM algorithm reflects these factors.

gday

Re: My Soul EV's Full Charge Is About 10 Miles Less In Colder Weather(below 50 degrees)

Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:11 am

I have kept detailed records of my Kia Soul EV (2020) for over 2 years now, including charging details, GOM, real range and day/night temperatures and can see that the real and GOM ranges follow the temperature pretty precisely. The GOM "exaggerates" but the exaggerated amount varies depending on the temperature.

I am currently going over my stats and up to now it seems that when the nightly low falls below 20 C the reduced range starts. This may be due to both efficiency of the battery, but probably more due to the need for heat when driving.

whiskytangofoxtrot

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 am

That makes sense, the Hvac system does burn power. When I toggle mine on/off my range changes 10 miles. It could be that the 10 mile number is something the programmers stuck in there. Motor mythbusters just did a show on this. The heat actually uses more energy than the AC

Return to “News and Main Soul EV Forum Discussions”