Electrify Canada Charing high rate $0.77/min

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacesetter

Hello,

Is there any way to get the lower charge rate of $0.27/min on the Electrify Canada chargers?

I tried using the Electrify Canada charger at Canadian Tire a few days ago and I was shocked that I was being charged the high rate of $0.77/min (1-125kW rate) even though the actual charging was at 74kW. I called their customer service and they said the Kia Soul cars are communicating that they can go up to 84 kW and so regardless of the actual charge rate, I will be charged the higher cost.

They also mentioned that Electrify America has a special agreement with Kia owners but this does not exist in Canada.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Why would any Kia owner charge at the high rate when Petro-Canada is $0.27/min flat rate.

Best Regards,
Jeff

See the section "How does power level pricing work?" on their website https://www.electrify-canada.ca/pricing/
At least they are up front about it but I agree, I wouldn't pay that much to charge and I would take my business elsewhere.

Yeah this is crazy. It's an absolute rip off this "Electrify Canada." "Electrify America" is also similar. My car told the machine that it would charge at max 100KW, but only charged at 50KW. So what should have been a $12 charge was in fact $35. GRRrr

Jeff, you're lucky you can charge at that rate. The Petro-Canada flat rate is a bit of a rip off for Gen1 drivers.

Because our charge rate is slower, we either:

- need to stay at the station longer and thus need to pay more.

or

- stay the same amount of time as a Gen2 car, but get less power.

Either way, we loose.

However, paying $46/hour to charge is truly absurd. You might as go back to driving a gas car. :lol:

I charged my 2016 Soul EV+ at the Petro Canada in Canmore a few weeks back using the Chademo cable. $20/hr was the fee, cost me $8.60 to get what I needed.

The interesting part was at one point during the charge the screen on the charger said it was delivering 67kW to my car! I thought gen 1's were limited to 50kW.

I did just have the warranty battery pack replacement and BMS updates, maybe they increased the charge limit??

They can all do more than 50kW. When they first came out all the Chademo chargers were only 50kW but I remember Norway got a 100kW charger and someone reported getting about 70kW from it.

invader166 said:
[...] However, paying $46/hour to charge is truly absurd. You might as go back to driving a gas car. :lol:
Heh. Obviously I don't want to pay rip-off rates any more than anyone else does. But if I'm charging at home 99% of the time, and paying a rip-off rate the 1% of the time that I'm on a road trip, then I'd probably shrug and accept it honestly.

Where this kind of thing really sucks is for people who live in apartments or otherwise can't charge at home. That would seriously suck for them, potentially forcing them into level-2 charging at malls (etc.) to keep the price down.

https://www.electrify-canada.ca/pricing/

Just got a message that Electrify Canada changed their pricing structure. It is now $0.27 for vehicles up to 90kW. I will try it out next time I pass by one.

Back