Rolling Up Level 1 Charger Cord When Not Using

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcalvada

Can anyone recommend anything to make this easier than wrapping it manually? I was thinking of maybe using a garden hose reel, substituting the charging cord instead of a hose.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

maxcalvada said:
Can anyone recommend anything to make this easier than wrapping it manually? I was thinking of maybe using a garden hose reel, substituting the charging cord instead of a hose.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?
You might consider using large velcro straps to help you bind it once you've coiled it up? I would recommend against dragging it along the ground as you would it up, as you might using a garden hose reel (though I imagine you could support it in some way as its wound up to avoid that).

I find it easy to do by treating it as a rope, and coiling it in my right hand, using the left hand to slide down the uncoiled length to a full arm stretch (less if you want a smaller coil) and then bringing it to the right hand. To avoid dragging it on the ground, just walk slowly forward towards the end as you coil. Once you have completed the coil, you can apply the velcro straps or put the coil in a bag.

If it kinks as it coils, because it has a natural tendency to twist against the coiling, swap the coil to the left hand and use the right to gather, thus putting in one or more turns with the opposite twist. Seamen call that a "frenchman" .

If the whole length wants to kink, coil it using the opposite hands, i.e. left-handed instead of right.

This tutorial was brought to you courtesy of the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship :D

Back