CHAdeMo 84% limit

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henderrj

It appears that CHAdeMo charging always stops at 84%. I've read that one simply starts again to charge beyond that. I need to as my trip is too long for just 84%. The problem is that it creates a new session on the charger so i get another charge, doubling the price for charging. Is there a way to keep this from happening? The charger in question is in Olympia and is operated by Chargepoint.

Thoughts?

AFIK, no one has been able to find a way around the CHAdeMO charge limit. It is actually charging the battery to 80% which corresponds to just under 84% on the display. 100% corresponds to the battery being at 95% in reality. When I have needed the extra charge it is either at a station like Blink where the charge is by the kWh or one of the West Coast Electric Highway (AeroVironment) chargers for which I have the $20/mo subscription fee for unlimited charging. This way I don't have a double charge. The nearest AV station I know of by Olympia would be the one in Tumwater. Check out plugshare.com and set the filter to only show the CHAdeMO stations.

GizmoEV said:
<span>AFIK, no one has been able to find a way around the CHAdeMO charge limit. It is actually charging the battery to 80% which corresponds to just under 84% on the display. 100% corresponds to the battery being at 95% in reality. When I have needed the extra charge it is either at a station like <a href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/electric-vehicle-charger/" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">Blink <span class="tip">Compare EVSE equipment</span></a>where the charge is by the kWh or one of the West Coast Electric Highway (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Aerovironment%20evse&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">AeroVironment</a>) <a href="http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=electric%20vehicle%20charger&tag=myelecarfor-20" class="interlinkr" target="_blank">charger</a>s for which I have the $20/mo subscription fee for unlimited charging. This way I don't have a double charge. The nearest AV station I know of by Olympia would be the one in Tumwater. Check out plugshare.com and set the filter to only show the CHAdeMO stations.</span>
GizmoEV said:
AFIK, no one has been able to find a way around the CHAdeMO charge limit. It is actually charging the battery to 80% which corresponds to just under 84% on the display. 100% corresponds to the battery being at 95% in reality. When I have needed the extra charge it is either at a station like Blink where the charge is by the kWh or one of the West Coast Electric Highway (AeroVironment) chargers for which I have the $20/mo subscription fee for unlimited charging. This way I don't have a double charge. The nearest AV station I know of by Olympia would be the one in Tumwater. Check out plugshare.com and set the filter to only show the CHAdeMO stations.

I have a convenient L3 filter in plugshare - come visit Ontario! Lol.. Fewer stations per capita than Alabama. No need to filter out all that clutter of L3 stations from one provider or another here.. Just scroll the map to the Toronto area in Ontario and choose from one of 6 inconvently located chargers, shared amongst the immediate area's 6 million inhabitants. Listening to you guys talk about alternative L3 stations.. Sigh..

Back to the question though.. Yeah seems like a hard coded 80% limit was kind of silly. As slow as L3 charging might become above 80%, the vehicle operator should have the choice to keep charging. It would have been easy to put such an option in one of the EV control screens. There is no safety reason you can't charge to 100% on DC, as the car slows or stops the rate of charging anyway by sending data to the L3 unit based on SOC.

Similar Thread : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=685

Soul EV 2016 (2014-july 2016) :
- 0-84% (stop at ~22kW = 390v DC)
- and 84-94% (stop at ~4kW = 395v DC)

Soul EV 2017 (september 2016-2017 and more) :
- 0-94% (stop at ~4kW)

Thanks guys. I think I'll go ahead and run this by Kia, but don't expect much! I actually went to the Tumwater station 1st but it was broken. I had skipped the Olympia one (even though right on my route) because of a plethora of "broken" comments on plugshare. Turns out it works, but the screen has a long standing error message that fills the middle of it. (As a humorous aside - it is on the Nisson dealer's lot, literally across the street from the Kia dealer. When will they get a CHAdeMo?!)

Yes, we are a little spoiled with the number of chargers around here - but only DC units between me and the coast - and i need at east one! Wife was not happy with the hour wasted last Sunday!! On a good note she has decided to sell her Mini as she prefers driving the Soul as well. :D

Oh, I thought of a possible workaround. What if i went to scheduled charging (turned off the off button) for a minute after i connected the DC plug with it set to 100%. Has anyone tried that? Decades of working with programmers makes this a possible loophole. Just didn't know if anyone had tried it. Of course, it may be that the CHAdeMO plug ignores the "off" switch; does not allow for scheduled charging.

henderrj said:
Wife was not happy with the hour wasted last Sunday!! On a good note she has decided to sell her Mini as she prefers driving the Soul as well. :D

Always crying ... for something, right ?

f5isbP.gif

henderrj said:
Oh, I thought of a possible workaround. What if i went to scheduled charging (turned off the off button) for a minute after i connected the DC plug with it set to 100%. Has anyone tried that? Decades of working with programmers makes this a possible loophole. Just didn't know if anyone had tried it. Of course, it may be that the CHAdeMO plug ignores the "off" switch; does not allow for scheduled charging.
It's unlikely to work. The scheduled charging uses the onboard charger with a very simple "protocol" between the EVSE and the onboard charger. The CHAdeMO charger is a direct connection on to the battery, and the CHAdeMO charger talks to the Battery Management System.

There's enough stuff talking to each for your suggestion to work, it's just unlikely. Unfortunately there aren't any CHAdeMO chargers nearby for me to try it out.

notfred said:
It's unlikely to work. The scheduled charging uses the onboard charger with a very simple "protocol" between the EVSE and the onboard charger. The CHAdeMO charger is a direct connection on to the battery, and the CHAdeMO charger talks to the Battery Management System.

There's enough stuff talking to each for your suggestion to work, it's just unlikely. Unfortunately there aren't any CHAdeMO chargers nearby for me to try it out.

I was afraid that might be the case. I'll try it anyway but won't hold my breath! will try to report back with findings. On a good note i finally got around to checking the tire inflation level, sure enough the dealership had put it at "lawyer" - 32 psi on the nose. brought them all up to 40 and am seeing about 5% better range - enough to keep the important person happy!

Kia isn't the only one with this limit as far as I am aware. CHAdeMo is fast. That is the main benefit - and the problem. Fast charging between 80-100% damages the battery. That's why the onboard car charger shuts it down.

To top off, you want an L2 or L1 charger really. But then, of course, you care using the L3 to be fast.. so there goes that idea.

I posted this in the other thread as well, but I wonder if the BMS can be upgraded to allow beyond that time, like they did in the 2017s. Granted I don't DC charge that much, but again I just got the car less than 2 months ago... so who knows what the future brings.

Back