Charging cable not released

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoulkitchenBCN

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this/knows a fix: often, but not always, when charging on my 2020 e soul is finished the lock on the plug at the car end does not release. I end up having to pop the hood and pull the manual release cable. This is obviously more an inconvenience than a problem, but it should not behave this way so if someone knows what I could do to fix it I’d be happy to hear.
I’m in Spain so I’m using a Mennekes type 2 portable cable, I need to leave the cable locking feature on because I’m charging in a public garage at a commercial charger and I don’t want someone to walk off with my cable.

That’s a much more analogue solution than I was anticipating. But I’ll give it a try, If I can figure out how to reach the locking mechanism.

esoulkitchenBCN said:
That’s a much more analogue solution than I was anticipating.

I know what you mean, but I could hear a click when I operated the release button, so I knew the electrical side was working, and the hitch had to be mechanical. Unfortunately, in your case, the sound of the lock releasing would be masked by the door locks.

Actually, most electrical problems turn out to be mechanical.

Well... I finally looked in the manual and it says:

“- If the charging connector is un‐locked when all doors are unlocked, but the charging cable is not dis‐ connected within 15 seconds, the connector will be automatically locked again. If the charging con‐ nector is unlocked when all doors are unlocked, but all doors are locked again, immediately, the connector will be automatically locked again.”

So I think the times it’s “not unlocking” is because I’m waiting longer than 15 seconds to unplug. A feature and not a bug.

Back