How to stop charging?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soul099

I am a new Soul owner and have run into problems regarding how to stop charging and unplug. When I charge to a preset limit it is fine charging stops once the limit is reached. When I stop to charge for a short time (like parking at a free charger while shopping) I cannot find a simple way to stop charging. I have either had to reset my target charge to a number lower than the current state of charge (soc) or if the soc is less than 50% then I set the off peak charging to a time other than current so that will stop the charging. There must be an esasier way!

Thanks for any advice.

Presumably you are talking about Level 2 charging. Just unplug, it is perfectly safe and the connector is designed to be unplugged while in use.

There is a pin that the car uses to tell the EVSE to supply power, it is shorter than the pins that carry the power. As you pull the cable out then that signalling pin disconnects first so the EVSE stops supplying power, and then the power pins disconnect safely without any current flowing so there is no spark. Finally the safety ground pin is the last thing to disconnect.

With Level 3 there is a stop button on the charger and the connector is locked in while charging.

Some level 2 chargers have a start and stop button, but many do not.
I just pull out the cord when I want to go. It does not hurt anything

Thanks. I found the problem. There is a setting that locks the charger to the car. I reset it so it no longer locks it so now I can simpmy unplug as you suggest.

I'm not familiar with the 2nd gen, but on the first gen the lock is the same as the door lock. Also it's not really a serious lock, if you get something long and thin then you can just push the lock pin back in.

On the 2020 Soul EV, you can unlock the charging cable before target charging is reached by pressing the remote unlock button on the key fob (and presumably using the UVO app).

I couldnt figure how to stop it from charging with my key or door locks, nor could I figure out how to turn my 2020 Soul off once I had turned it on while charging, but the app did enable me to stop charging and then it all went back to normal. Hmmm fun!
Anyone else try turning the car on while charging, and then try turning it off?

Back