GRA

Re: So I just test drove a 2015 Kia Soul EV

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:41 pm

fanbanlo wrote:
notfred wrote:I think you are looking for a Tesla :)

Who isn't? ;)
I suspect you'll be happiest with the driving characteristics of the e-Golf or 500e, assuming they're available in your area. And for getting off the line in a hurry for cheap (with some torque steer), the Spark can't be beat.

iletric

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm

GRA wrote:(with some torque steer), the Spark can't be beat.
That would be major torque steer. At least the 2014. They rolled it back in 2015. It's actually scary to really go "sport" in Spark. The drive line goes all over.

tractioninc

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:03 am

I would really like to collect some back to back acceleration measurements of our Soul EV against my parents' Leaf. Perhaps even a drag race ;)

fanbanlo wrote:even when floored, power/torque is only on full after 50km/h. Where's the instant low-end torque that it promises?

Neither the Soul EV nor the Leaf feel like they have much torque compared to my other cars. I'm used to driving fast cars, not economy-minded hatchbacks.

When car reviews speak of EVs instant torque I think that they must be referring to throttle response, not off-the-line power from a stop. With a single-speed transmission and uniform torque from low rpm to high, using the throttle (for passing, etc) is a very consistent experience. It's the opposite experience from a peaky VTEC engine, for instance.
Kia Soul EV+, Porsche 928

Brickvipe

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:45 am

We also own a Soul EV+ and I too was dissapointed at first in the acceleration when I first test drove it. However before I drove the Soul, I drove the Spark EV and E Golf which are both faster off the line and set me up for disappointment. Deciding we wanted the most range (sub Tesla) and interior room (secondarily), we went for the Soul EV and now I am really happy with it. I have noticed that the car responds fastest if the top of the "Go" pedal is pressed instead of the bottom or middle, where my ICE cars work best at. It still is not the Spark EV in off the line speed, but it still is potent enough to get into the car pool lane quickly and without worry. I wonder if the Soul the first poster drove was in ECO mode which slows the car down too.

Of the cars I test drove, the Spark EV was the funnest, followed by the EGolf, Soul EV and Leaf. I previously drove a Fiat 500e and I remember it also being fun like the Spark EV but we had already decided it was too small for our needs. The car is so smooth to drive that we are using it more than our Jaguar and seriously in danger of going over our lease miles allotment.

jcallan

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:18 am

Yeah I was also disappointed during the test drive about the lack of a 'coasting' mode - I was used to hypermiling my diesel by coasting in neutral. But actually now I really like 'B' gear and drive in it all the time. If you want to coast you just leave your foot where it is, if you want to suck all the juice back into the battery, lift off. If you have to actually press the brake pedal, you lose 5 points ;)

I agree also that the throttle mapping takes a bit of getting used to, initially I was thinking 'Instant torque? Where?!'. The software pretends (really well) to be a standard automatic gearbox attached to an ICE, even doing the stupid 'creep forward' nonsense of an old fluid-link auto box from the 1970s, until you slap the accelerator down fast, at which point you DO get instant torque and you really sense the electric drive. Useful for accelerating into a tight gap, etc. The software seems to be looking for speed of movement of the pedal, not necessarily how far it moves.

iletric

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Isn't that the move that breaks the accelerator pedal and it's now under recall? :lol:

jcallan

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:54 am

Ah, so that's what happened! :)

jwr

Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Is there anyone out there from Canada who has purchased a Soul EV recently? I ordered mine about 8 months ago and am still waiting for delivery. The dealership says that KIA isn't making many available...

notfred

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I ordered mine in April and don't have a delivery date yet. The dealer said last week that they know they have 3 coming in, one of which is a base model that wasn't spoken for and I could drop down from the luxury to that one if I wanted. I want the heat-pump so declined. They also said Kia Canada isn't making them available fast enough.

h8n01

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:56 am

I drove off the lot with my new EV base a couple weeks ago. My wife has been the primary driver and when quizzed about what she thinks of the car, she said it drives alot like my old Mini Cooper (not S). That says a lot in my opinion and what it says is that power and handling are extremely subjective left to the perspective of the individual driver. I've never been very disappointed with the acceleration or cornering of my Soul. Is it a Tesla? Of course not, but then again it didn't cost me $85,000. I'm getting 114 miles on a charge averaging 4.9mKwh. My excitement over rapid acceleration has been trumped by my excitement of the extra money in my checking account that isn't going to petrol and maintenance.

At the end of the day, no one should ever get a car that they aren't going to enjoy driving on a day-in-day-out basis, so I wish all EV buyers the best of lucky finding the car that will suit them best. For me, it was the Soul.

Return to “Buying a Kia Soul EV”