help needed to understand Torque PID and data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neel

hello expert,
today i had wired issue while going to work (5 AM ) 22C temp. i got check EV light , turtle sign for 20 second and off , i was almost at my workplace parking lot so i parked , decided to test DTC was P0A93 & P0C73 ( EWP pump fail code )
NOW , while go back to home , its peak hot and humid noon 3PM with 35 C Temp. outside , i start no any light on dash , so start drive with realtime Konnwei and torque ON for live data on phone , Air con was off purposely to have minimize load , i drove almost 45 minute 60-75 KM speed , but NO check EV light or turtle, here are some screen shot ,

1) MCU and heat sink temp was 42 and 44 but EWP didn't start but EWP rpm shows 66 , No any error light on Dash
2 ) the moment i start Air Con. the EWP shows ON instatly and EWP RPM shows 70

question is , such a peak hot and humid with 40+ MCU and heat sink temp why EWP not ON ? it suppose to start on 40 degree right ? is this Normal ??
when Air Con. start EWP shows ON , instant No check EV light or anything ? is this really EWP issue ? or Climate control module issue ?
because in Winter i notice when ever i start cabin heater i have check EV light on 10/5 times , so from that point i am sure my issue is related with climate control module , AM i thinking right ? or EWP is for sure issue as per code ?
** my car is no longer under warranty pump cost $600+ in canada and non returnable part , so expect some suggestion from here before purchase.
** any sugestion to check or diagnose climate control panel or board ??
** any PID data modification required on EWP RPM display as it shows 65-66 default even ewp is off.

help appricaited , thanks in advance.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/139/AN5zeg.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1566/vtZGKX.jpg

-
There is a thread with discussion about EWP issues here. :- Electric Water Pump
From your data and experience I would guess that the pump is actually working but an electrical glitch means the car doesn't know that.
If the EWP was really broken the MCU would soon overheat and the car would stop.
So I think the EWP speeds you see are real. But the OFF value is incorrect.

As someone else pointed out earlier - "Maybe there is a poor electrical connection somewhere in the wiring that intermittently causes an issue. It might be worth a resistance test of each wire to the pump."

thank you for share your input , appriciated !!
one thing i always notice , in winter when i start cabin heater , most of time check EV light ON but no turtle sign , but no DTC code,
is faulty climate control module cause this glitch ? my point is if you ever came to encounter climate control fault issue etc.
by chance is it possible to get online electrical drawing or section of electrical diagram ?
thanks again .

JejuSoul, I found a list of PIDs from you on Github and searched through them. I was looking for a PID (for use with Torque Pro) that relates to what the currently set cabin temperature is, but didn't see anything. My issue is this:

At some point, probably next year, I'd like to replace the head unit with something faster. The response time for the stock unit - especially when it first starts - is very very slow. Sometimes when I put it in reverse after starting the car (2016 Kia Soul EV+) the screen will be blank for anywhere from 5 to almost 30 seconds before actually showing the rearview, and even bringing up the media player or other parts of the "OS" can take a silly amount of time.

I've found several really awesome Android 2 DIN replacement units with navigation and Android Auto built in that are LEAGUES faster than the stock unit, and I'd most likely use Torque Pro to replace a lot of the info I now have access to in the stock unit...with a few notable exceptions: The A/C & Heating cabin temperature setting, which briefly displays at the top of the screen when changed or when certain other climate controls are manipulated; the scheduled charging screen (with 80/100% preference); the scheduled climate setting screen. I know some of these are available through the Kia Access app but that requires a subscription and would be a bit awkward to use compared to just having them there on the main head unit. [note: If there was a way to simply speed up the stock unit I'd be perfectly happy!]

The main bit of info I'd be interested in is the cabin temperature setting which currently only shows on the head unit. Any ideas?

BTW, thanks in advance for all the work you've already put into tabulating the PIDs for Kia EVs!

Hi Russel,

I don't have the PID's you ask for.
The open source effort to document the inner workings of the electronics for the original 27kWh Soul EV ended about 5 years ago.
Of the dozen or so so original 'hackers', I am the only one still around. (Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit this.)
Now all we have are commercial apps and companies who do not share their findings.

The Torque app was always used for READ ONLY data.
There has never been any effort to develop active features such as activating the climate control.
The best app for that was OVMC. Unfortunately this was only 1 person and development for our car ceased when he got a better car.

The usefulness of finding and sharing the data is much greater now than 7 years ago. It is now that the warranties have ended that self-repair is much more needed.

Thanks for the reply. It's too bad that manufacturers don't make this info freely available so that third parties can help support their own products... Luckily, I think I have found a solution, at least in my situation: An aftermarket Android based head unit company called T'Eyes (Tee eyes) has a system that communicates directly with the vehicle's CAN-BUS (via a decoder box that is unique to each vehicle) and allows all kinds of integration with the factory features. For example, when you open a door it shows a little picture of a car with that door opened, or if you adjust the temperature it will show, as an overlay, the new temperature setting. Volume level too. Some can even allow you to use your vehicle's original backup camera when you put it in reverse, though newer aftermarket cameras are WAY better (especially in dark conditions).

The EV data can be shown in its screen, via an OBDII dongle (wireless or USB) and Torque Pro, along with anything else that you'd like to display like tire pressure and temperature, etc.

This T'eyes system even supports "360 camera" setup* so that when you are backing up (or any time you want) it will show you a top-down image of your car and its surroundings or any other view you care to see. The one downside is that this requires some drilling because you will be installing 4 very small cameras on your car: 2 underneath the side mirrors, one in the grill and one in the rear. After you calibrate them using a special mat it works great. [* There are 360 and non-360 versions of the head unit, in case you don't need or want to pay for that feature.]

If you or anyone else is interested in this system, here's a review of it, here: https://youtu.be/7A_vjC0mWKE?t=783
Here's the 360 camera system setup and install if anyone is interested: https://youtu.be/p-6xglcAFZc

Hi, JejuSoul, you seem to have some pretty deep knowledge of the Soul EV so I was wondering if I could ask you one or two questions. Am I right in assuming that the vehicle will run fine without the headunit? I realize that I'd be missing some info and some UI features, but the headunit itself is not the actual "brains" of the EV system, right?

I ask because I REALLY want to replace the stock headunit for reasons previously mentioned, but wanted to make sure that the HU itself is not the brains of the vehicle. I am currently investigating ways to get all that info back - and then some (including realtime tire temp and pressure - but need to gather a bit more information first.

Thanks in advance. I don't think a dealership would help me since they'd not be doing any of the work...

Back