Watchdog App... maybe.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchdog

Hello.

I'm the developer of a Android monitoring App (OBD2) called PHEV Watchdog which has been available for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and more recently for the Kia and Hyundai PHEV models.

I've been asked to add support for the EV vehicles but I do think it should be another App (too much PHEV data that doesn't matter for the EV).

So gathering info at this time and testing some code for the Ioniq EV and Niro EV which I've managed to have access to.

I think I could add support for the Soul also but I would need some help to scan the OBD2 and get some data from there.

If there's anyone with an OBD2 adapter who is willing to help please let me know.

Oh, I should say the App is only for Android and free to donwload from the playstore (ad supported).

I do plan to build a website (like for the PHEV Watchdog) with some added features (analysis of personal data and across) but that should come later and be restricted to contributors (the website not the App).

Here's an (old) video of the original PHEV Watchdog and it's features, you can expect about the same for this new App.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5zsnTsvzek

Thanks!

Watchdog said:
Hello.

I'm the developer of a Android monitoring App (OBD2) called PHEV Watchdog which has been available for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and more recently for the Kia and Hyundai PHEV models.

I've been asked to add support for the EV vehicles but I do think it should be another App (too much PHEV data that doesn't matter for the EV).

So gathering info at this time and testing some code for the Ioniq EV and Niro EV which I've managed to have access to.

I think I could add support for the Soul also but I would need some help to scan the OBD2 and get some data from there.

If there's anyone with an OBD2 adapter who is willing to help please let me know.
[...]
I have access to 2016, 2017, and 2021 Soul EVs, and I have an OBD2 adaptor. I'm a small business owner so don't have a lot of free time, but would love to help with the app if I can. What kind of help would you need? (Posting publicly rather than privately, in case there are others wondering the same thing as me.)

I have a 2018 (30kWh) Soul EV and the recommended KW902 OBD2 adapter. It works with Soul EV Spy and Torque, so I expect it could access the data you want, but I would need my hand held to learn how to provide the files.

In case you are not aware, the above apps are not currently able to provide "validated" values for battery SOH for the 30kWh model. Perhaps you will have some fresh insights.

Hello everyone.

Sorry for being away but I've been really busy lately.

So I've started development and successfully integrated support for the Kia e-Niro, Hyundai Ioniq and Kona.

I was able to scan a Soul EV 27kWh but I'm missing the odometer.
Also searched the forum and couldn't find anything useful...

I know it's there, just don't know where.
That's crucial data as the App keeps track of everything with the odometer value and timestamp :/

Meanwhile I've started a fb group where I'm sharing the developments (please join if you are in facebook):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ev.watchdog

And here's a couple of screenshots of the current development...

Live monitoring screens (or where you see the info while driving)
dog-net-01.jpg

The App keeps track in a list of the battery condition (changes in SoH and SoC). And you'll get one card for every changes seen (screen on the left). From each card (one tap) you'll have access to the details of the recorded state (right screen).
dog-net-02.jpg

There's a lot of info there:
[*]Actual BMS SoC [display SoC] = actual charge
[*]Actual BMS SoH of useable capacity [factory capacity]
[*]Actual useable capacity [factory capacity]
[*]Total current (energy) charged
[*]Total current (energy) discharged
[*]Total usage (current charged and discharged)
[*]Total battery operating time
[*]Total estimated cycles as per factory capacity
[*]Total Ah lost per cycle
[*]Total Ah lost per day
[*]Battery voltage
[*]Battery current
[*]Max available power in / power out
[*]Minimum cell # id @ voltage
[*]Maximum cell # id @ voltage
[*]Average [target] cell voltage
[*]Maximum cell voltage difference
[*]Minimum : maximum deterioration cell # id (SoH)
[*]Isolation resistante
[*]Minimum : inlet : maximum battery temperature
[*]Auxiliary battery voltage
[*]Inverter capacitor power supply voltage
[*]Fan output power[/list]

Beside storing the battery condition the App will also keep track of every trip you have monitored with it.
Each trip is kept on a card list (on the left) and by tapping the card you can have access to the details of each trip (right screen).
dog-net-03.jpg

Details inside each trip card:
[*]Date/Time it was recorded
[*]Trip duration
[*]Trip distance (odometer at the end)
[*]Accumulated ascent / descent and elevation (from device's GPS)
[*]Data resolution / error rate (from the OBD2 interface)
[*]% of glide time (moving without motor or regenerative braking)
[*]% of regenerative braking time
[*]% of stopped time (without moving)
[*]Eco score (efficiency score calculated by the App)
[*]Weather season (inferred from GPS and calendar)
[*]Charge at the beginning / end of the trip
[*]Maximum observed power input / output
[*]Minimum / maximum observed battery voltage
[*]Minimum / maximum observed cell voltage
[*]Maximum observed cell voltage difference
[*]Average [target] cell voltage
[*]Maximum cell voltage difference
[*]Minimum / average / maximum observed battery inlet temperature
[*]Minimum / average / maximum observed battery temperature
[*]Maximum observed battery fan power
[*]Charge difference at beginning (difference from previous trip)
[*]Average consumption
[*]Wall-to-wheel average consumption (without regenerative braking)
[*]Total consumed charge
[*]Average / maximum regenerative braking power
[*]Maximum observed motor torque

I have a Soul2016 with a 27Kw battery and an OBDLink MX.
If you want I can do with you the same I did with the SoulSpy app developer; install the app, drive the car an send you the logs.
Or even other test you need.

PM me if this is ok with you so I can send you my email.

Best regards
Nuno

So... happy to announce I finally added support for the Soul EV (although still experimental).

It's been tested with the 27kWh and should work with the 30kWh.

Could not find any 64kWh to test so I might need to do some adjustments for it.

App is available as a fully functional free (ad based) Android App in the playstore or premium without ads and with extended features.

More info here: https://evwatchdog.net/
here: https://evwatchdog.net/app.php
and here: https://evwatchdog.net/help/faq.php

So the App is working so I've opened another topic just for it and this thread should be closed.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back