NorSoul

Re: Heat pump stopped working after climate software update SA427

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:33 am

2016Electric wrote:
NorSoul wrote:
2016Electric wrote:
Hi ZuinigeRijder,

You indicated that your Soul is a 2014 model. Yes, it has a heat pump - all of the EV Souls sold since 2014 have had that option; however, the portion of SA427 that applies to the FATC (the portion that affects the climate control and heat pump system) appears to apply only to certain 2016 and 2017 model year vehicles. This is indicated the in ROM ID table under "event 502" in the TSB (at the link I posted):

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 8-0001.pdf

Thus, I doubt your vehicle would have had the same FATC update that was done on mine and some others (2016-2017 model years). I point this out only because I do not want to confuse the issue, and it would seem that we are finally starting to narrow down the cause of this problem.

I don’t think that update is the only root to the problem, as mine is first registered in January 2015. Most if not all people in Norway got that issue after a recall for the e-brake where they also updated the BMS.

Interesting - your's is a 2015 with a battery heater? If so, perhaps the points JejuSoul raised about the interaction with the battery heater option have something to do with it.
Was that update - the one you had applied - also part of the TSB for SA427?
If I recall, you (or someone) mentioned posts in a FaceBook group for Norway Soul EV owners having a problem with the heat pump after this update. Do you have a link for that FaceBook group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1543242 ... ?ref=share - The group is private though

I’m not sure how to check if I have a battery heater or the number of the update that messed up the heat pump. But apparently it wasn’t part of the e-brake update, but a service action regarding BMS/FATC they did at the same time.

ZuinigeRijder

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:26 am

NorSoul wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1543242 ... ?ref=share - The group is private though

I’m not sure how to check if I have a battery heater or the number of the update that messed up the heat pump. But apparently it wasn’t part of the e-brake update, but a service action regarding BMS/FATC they did at the same time.

Apparently a new fix is coming, according to that facebook link:

Now I got confirmed by the workshop that our two Souls will be called immediately a new update to fix the heat pump is ready.
So they have confirmed that the cars have this problem. Good to see that fall in range wasn't something I just imagined.
′′ The factory is working on a blast to fix the problem ′′ - and that's good.

NorSoul wrote:I’m not sure how to check if I have a battery heater

I did use Torque Pro and a OBDII bluetooth dongle, see this post.. But I get -50.0 C out of the sensors, I do not know if this definitely means that I have a battery heater, because the values do not make sense.

NorSoul

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:01 am

ZuinigeRijder wrote:
NorSoul wrote:

Apparently a new fix is coming, according to that facebook link:

Now I got confirmed by the workshop that our two Souls will be called immediately a new update to fix the heat pump is ready.
So they have confirmed that the cars have this problem. Good to see that fall in range wasn't something I just imagined.
′′ The factory is working on a blast to fix the problem ′′ - and that's good.

NorSoul wrote:I’m not sure how to check if I have a battery heater

I did use Torque Pro and a OBDII bluetooth dongle, see this post.. But I get -50.0 C out of the sensors, I do not know if this definitely means that I have a battery heater, because the values do not make sense.

Yeah they have been working on a fix for some weeks now, my dealer told me the same thing when they checked mine a couple of weeks ago. They also tried some kind of update which didn’t work. Hopefully they will fix it before the winter ends.

I will download Torque Pro later and see what readings I get.

JejuSoul

Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:18 am

-
I have 2 Soul EVs. Both made in April 2015.
The first I bought new nearly 6 years ago. It has never had a BMS upgrade.
The Torque codes we use were created on this car.
When I checked today I see.

I have no battery heater, therefore no sensors, therefore a value of 0C for the battery heater.
This is exactly the same as 5 years ago.

But the second car I bought 18 months ago, and then had the battery replaced.
see - Analysis of a replacement battery.
This car also has no battery heater. But does have an updated BMS.
When I checked today I see -50C as the value for both battery heater sensors.

Conclusions.
The BMS algorithm and PIDs for the battery heater have changed.
ZuinigeRijder does not have a battery heater.

Without data from someone who does have a battery heater I am not going to update the codes.
I will leave it as is because it will continue to work for those who haven't had a BMS upgrade.
-
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

2016Electric

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:08 am

JejuSoul wrote:-
I have 2 Soul EVs. Both made in April 2015.
The first I bought new nearly 6 years ago. It has never had a BMS upgrade.
The Torque codes we use were created on this car.
When I checked today I see.

I have no battery heater, therefore no sensors, therefore a value of 0C for the battery heater.
This is exactly the same as 5 years ago.

But the second car I bought 18 months ago, and then had the battery replaced.
see - Analysis of a replacement battery.
This car also has no battery heater. But does have an updated BMS.
When I checked today I see -50C as the value for both battery heater sensors.

Conclusions.
The BMS algorithm and PIDs for the battery heater have changed.
ZuinigeRijder does not have a battery heater.

Without data from someone who does have a battery heater I am not going to update the codes.
I will leave it as is because it will continue to work for those who haven't had a BMS upgrade.
-

Hi Jeju,

I have a 2016 with a battery heater, and have had the BMS update. Happy to report on some torque pro values if that would be helpful.. If so just let me know what you need.

JejuSoul

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:22 pm

2016Electric wrote:...I have a 2016 with a battery heater, and have had the BMS update. Happy to report on some torque pro values if that would be helpful.. If so just let me know what you need.

Create a screen like the one above and take a screenshot.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Gordo

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 am

I presumed you're planning on doing this, but just in case, please let us know when the new software update is out :) Dealer service is not always great around here, as the first post shows. I didn't even realize my heat pump wasn't working -- I bought it this way.

Gordo

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 am

There's an update out there, at least in Norway. If anybody stateside has any info, please share.

2016Electric

Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:52 am

Gordo wrote:There's an update out there, at least in Norway. If anybody stateside has any info, please share.

Interesting.. So the heat pump starts working again with the Norway update for 2016 models?

I just got off the phone with the dealer who last checked my car (they have my vin etc). They said there is no new software available for my vehicle at this time.

This is for (Ontario, Canada).

I'll place another likely-to-be frustrating call with kia Canada and see what they have to say. Thanks for the uodate from Norway.

notfred

Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:17 am

Mine was updated a couple of weeks ago to the bad version. I opened a case on the Kia Canada website yesterday and I'm waiting for the initial reply from them - website says it could be up to 48 hours.

Return to “Technical Discussions”