2016Electric

Re: Heat pump stopped working, no apparent cause

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 am

NorSoul wrote:A little update. Dealer tried a fix, but it unfortunately didn’t work. I think it was a new SW update, but not 100% sure.

Anyway the message they got from Kia Norway was that they were working hard on a solution, so both Kia and the dealer acknowledges the issue. But I got nothing in writing as usual.

Wow ok, thanks for the update. Hopefully they find a resolution soon.

Hey, I have an idea... Roll the software back to the actual working version! :roll:

notfred

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am

NorSoul wrote:A little update. Dealer tried a fix, but it unfortunately didn’t work. I think it was a new SW update, but not 100% sure.

Anyway the message they got from Kia Norway was that they were working hard on a solution, so both Kia and the dealer acknowledges the issue. But I got nothing in writing as usual.

Please do keep us in the loop. Living in Canada, the heat pump was the reason I went up the trim level as it wasn't on the base model.

NorSoul

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:51 am

2016Electric wrote:

Wow ok, thanks for the update. Hopefully they find a resolution soon.

Hey, I have an idea... Roll the software back to the actual working version! :roll:

They say they can’t roll back. I suspect it’s because they updated the BMS, and they have done something to increase the SOH. Mine went from 64% to 71% after the update, unfortunately for me that meant no battery replacement yet.

NorSoul

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:11 am

notfred wrote:

Please do keep us in the loop. Living in Canada, the heat pump was the reason I went up the trim level as it wasn't on the base model.

I will. We’ve had some somewhat cold days in southern Norway lately, and the car is as thirsty as a E-Tron. Not fun when paired with a heavily degraded battery.

2016Electric

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 am

NorSoul wrote:
notfred wrote:

I will. We’ve had some somewhat cold days in southern Norway lately, and the car is as thirsty as a E-Tron. Not fun when paired with a heavily degraded battery.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. It's nice to finally have some confirmation that others are experiencing the same issue.

YpinEV

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:21 pm

My dealer did some test on my car Today and confirm heatpump does work but only over 15 degC. No big surprise since I did the same in my garage few weeks ago, after reading this thread. They have collected data for further analysis by KIa .

Fairly big dealer near Montreal, but first time that problm was mentionned. I should receive copy of email from preliminary analasys from Eng from KIA. Actually beside high power consumption car heats up quick and is quieter than normal. But after 5 canadian winter, it was too quiet so something was not working well.

When I picked my key, tehnical advisor told me a second car was in Today for BMS update and they noticed heatpump was not operating after update. I guess it speaks by itself. Now KIA Canada knows about it. Let's wait and see.

2016Electric

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:17 pm

YpinEV wrote:My dealer did some test on my car Today and confirm heatpump does work but only over 15 degC. No big surprise since I did the same in my garage few weeks ago, after reading this thread. They have collected data for further analysis by KIa .

Fairly big dealer near Montreal, but first time that problm was mentionned. I should receive copy of email from preliminary analasys from Eng from KIA. Actually beside high power consumption car heats up quick and is quieter than normal. But after 5 canadian winter, it was too quiet so something was not working well.

When I picked my key, tehnical advisor told me a second car was in Today for BMS update and they noticed heatpump was not operating after update. I guess it speaks by itself. Now KIA Canada knows about it. Let's wait and see.

Thanks so much for the update. I'm really hoping this thread has helped everyone else out re the heat pump issue. Hopefully we can get enough momentum going to ensure Kia resolves this major issue... It seems there are quite a few of us!

ZuinigeRijder

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:19 pm

YpinEV wrote:My dealer did some test on my car Today and confirm heatpump does work but only over 15 degC. No big surprise since I did the same in my garage few weeks ago, after reading this thread. They have collected data for further analysis by KIa .

I life in the Netherlands and with the temperatures around 0 degrees Celcius, my heatpump is just working as expected, although I had the software update on my Kia Soul EV of 2014: BMS software update.

So it looks like there is something different with the software update in Canada.

What I noticed is that after fast charging, sometimes the Airco and Heat led are automatically activated at the same time for a short period of time just after driving away, although it was very cold outside. The temperatures of the batteries are however more than 40 degrees Celcius at the end after 3 short fast charging sessions within 2 hours (30% till 80%) and also the fan in de trunk is activated and gets more and more rpm.

IanL

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 pm

ZuinigeRijder wrote:.....
What I noticed is that after fast charging, sometimes the Airco and Heat led are automatically activated at the same time for a short period of time just after driving away, although it was very cold outside.,,,,,

I have seen the same thing when the system is in AUTO. I think that the system has a interior humidity detector, and will automatically apply aircon if the value is over a threshold, irrespective of temperature, to dry the air.

notfred

Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:14 am

Humidity detector is the lump behind the rear view mirror. You can see if it is in auto defog if you press the Climate button to bring up the climate modes on the screen.

Return to “Technical Discussions”