Wizfinger

Re: I only get 50 km, 2015 Soul estimates 130.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:51 am

Thanks all!

Regarding the Android: nope I only have Apple gear here. Maybe I can borrow from a neighbour, but I’ll have to buy the dongle first.

Regarding calibration: good to know it won’t calibrate below a certain temperature. Currently it is around 0-5°C where I live so I assume the car is not calibrating and the GOM does not “guess” correctly.

Yesterday and today I did the same test route. Exact same results. In the first part when the battery goes from 100 to 30%, I get about 45 km of range. Then down to about 1-4% in 10 km. Total distance is about 55 km.

I tried driving slower (95 instead of 100 km/h and 75 instead of 80) and this gives me a tiny bit more, which is expected.

I tried with climate (heating) on at 17°C and climate off, which almost makes no difference.

Today I accidentally tapped on the “Range” map. It showed me a map with circles which made me laugh I uncontrollably :). I could NEVER get that far on a single charge.

Wizfinger

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:56 am

Today my battery was 100%, GOM said 140 km. I drove for 15 km at 80 km/h speed. Now the GOM says 90 km left.

Just to be sure... this is not normal, right? Next Monday I will talk to Kia and I want to stand strong.

JejuSoul

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 pm

-
No. It is not normal. There are a couple of unlikely possibilities that aren't a bad battery.

1/ Climate. Yesterday was +20C and today is -20C. And the GOM is adjusting to that fact.

2/ Road Conditions. Yesterday you drove down a steep mountain, and today you are driving up.

Common sense suggests these are very unlikely. If for some reason you have a really bad battery, but the car won't calibrate and SOH stays above 70% then KIA should use the distance estimates to justify the warranty claim.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

Wizfinger

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 pm

Thank you. Climate is stable here. It is winter (around 0°C) but nothing crazy.

As for mountains: they don’t exist in the Netherlands. Being in the rural county of Friesland, everything is flat as a pancake.

Next Monday I’ll go to Kia and report back here. Additional fun fact is that for the first time in at least ten years, temperatures will drop to -10°C. I hope I can make it to the dealership which is 20 km away :D

Wizfinger

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 am

Of course of course.... the dealership took a look and did a lot of measurements and they claim the battery is in good health and that it is perfectly normal to get less range as it is cold weather and the heater will use a lot of power.

I told them I disagree and that only 50-55 km of range is way too low. I asked them if they know the battery state of health and they told me they do not know.

I told them that if they officially take the stance that this car is perfectly normal, I want that in writing and I will contact KIA in the Netherlands to claim my warranty.

Then he told me he will talk to the mechanic again and get back to me.

EVDee

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:20 pm

There's a reason why I said good luck. They'll come through in the end but be ready for your sanity to be put to the test in the meantime.
Often you're going to know more than they do, and the only thing I can suggest is being polite but firm when they're giving you incorrect information. The fact that you called their bluff and requested their determination in writing was a smart countermove on your behalf.

Personally I think your biggest obstacle is getting a recalibrated reading during the winter/spring season. Perhaps the dealership can do it for you as they can park it inside their shop to overcome the temperature limitation. Short of that or an unusually warm day..

Wizfinger

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:31 pm

Thank you for your tips, indeed I may have to wait until spring to get it to calibrate better.

It baffles me that that they really actually tell me that this range depletion is normal when it's winter, also on newer models. Dutch winters are typically slightly above 0 ºC. If they sell a new car in the winter, will any customer accept a range of less than 50% advertised?

notfred

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:22 am

No that's not normal. I'm in Ottawa, Canada where we get -20C in the winter, sometimes colder. At the worst my winter range is 2/3 of my summer range.

From this and your other threads, you have a bad battery.

Wizfinger

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks, your information really helps.

The Kia dealership now has admitted they don't have much experience with this model so they have to find out everthing on the phone with Kia HQ Netherlands.

They returned my car and told me they cannot do a SOH measurement because it is not calibrated. The battery management was reset last december, as they found out.

They told me that I need to discharge the battery below 20% and then charge to 100%, do this cycle 5 times, and then they can determine SOH. So in the coming days I will do that.

In the meantime, I have ordered a cheap Android phone and the Konnwei OBD2 dongle, so I can start mesuring things myself.

EVDee

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 am

5 Cycles? Interesting..

Unless they actually know something that we don't, I'm still of the opinion that whether it's 5 cycles or 50, it won't matter unless the temperature is warm enough to allow for recalibration in the first place.

Frustrating, but at least you're making progress now.

Return to “Technical Discussions”