Issues after recent recall/software update

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonboogies

I took my 2016 Soul EV into the dealership around 4 months ago because I got a recall notice from the dealership I purchased from. They ran that and several other updates, I’m not sure which specifically. Car was bought used still under manufacturer warranty from a local dealer. After the update, I went to start the car and all the dash lights came on and stayed on (like *all* of them) but never actually started. Turning the car off and attempting to start it again produced the same results. It was fully charged, but telling me to check the battery. Had it towed to Kia and they opened a case with corporate because they had no idea what was happening or how to fix it. After two days, they said they reset the computer several times and while they didn’t know why it had done that, it was working again.

It just did the same thing again last week. This time after a few tries it finally started, but after talking to them they said to bring it in again. Just talked to them and they’re unable to reproduce the issue, don’t understand why it’s doing it and are not sure what to do to permanently fix it. They’re opening up another case with corporate because the car either isn’t logging an error code or is deleting it as part of whatever reset is happening. The guy I spoke with in service sounded really confused. Not confidence inspiring, needless to say.

Sounds silly but, have you or they checked the 12V battery? Often issues like this whether EV or Hybrid, that's the problem.

I know they checked the 12V battery in that it was fully charged and not testing bad at the time it was doing it. I don’t know that they’ve tried replacing it or anything like that. Supposedly they have multiple “master techs” working on it with corporate and EVs are waaay out of my wheelhouse with all the computers so I’m just kind of letting them do their thing. When I spoke to the guy he said they hadn’t seen anyone else with this issue after the update so I’m curious if anyone here has seen it.

They need to check the battery with a carbon pile tester, which takes at least an hour. Those handheld testers give a false good pretty easily with these batteries. If you have a Costco membership, the battery is 121R and $100+tax

Back