Trying to implement EV battery claim (updated w/ soulEV info)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperactiveme

I've contacted Kia Canada regarding low estimated and actual range. Fully charged I get 76km estimated and about 80 actual. I have to go 5 dealerships away to find EV certified dealer. Kia said they would cover the tow there but I'm responsible to get it back. Hopefully it works out and I'll be coming back with a new battery/extended range otherwise it'll be an interesting ride home. It's a 2016 with 87k km that drives great otherwise.

I'll update when I know more. Wish me luck

PXL-20210419-194653476.jpg

Screenshot-20210506-134205.png

Screenshot-20210506-134301.png

Doubtful they'll have a battery ready for you, mine took over a month to arrive once they approved my replacement - and it took awhile and several visits to get them to do that.. Hopefully your experience proves to be less painful than mine or others.

Ask them to do a battery State of Health report before doing any BMS update that may be required.

The correct procedure is to take the State of Health report first, but many dealers skip this when they see it needs a BMS update. When the BMS update is done it clears out the saved values that the BMS has learnt for the battery. If they do the BMS update first and then do a State of Health report after then it will show 100% and the estimated range will be the default 150kms.

If they do that, they will return the car to you saying the BMS update fixed it. You have to drive it around without running out of charge (because the range estimation is wildly wrong) and charge it up several times until the BMS relearns the actual battery state and then take it back in. That's a problem for anyone, but if you are having to ship the car to and from the dealer then that's really bad for you!

That is critical advice (test the battery BEFORE updating the firmware).

I went through the same process last summer with my Soul, though it started out with a road-side assistance call for a front seal leak, once they had the car transported from Alberta to the closest dealership in Vernon, BC I spoke to service manager about the battery warranty claim as well. It all turned out fine, though the dealership was new to EVs and that caused delays so it was 3 months before I picked the car up and drove it back home. Fortunately, with the Covid situation I didn't really need the car while it was away.

So I'll get the soul back tomorrow with a reported state of health at 79% . I'll see the paperwork then I guess and the lack of estimated range (76km per 100% charge) is due to the minimal km traveled per trip. This could be an issue as my wife works less than 3 km away.

Anything specific in the paperwork I should look for before leaving? Hopefully I'll make it home as the estimated range is equal to the distance from the dealership to my house

My BT ODB just came in so maybe I can check soulspy while in there?

Lots of short trips really hits the range. I think that a lot of it is the climate control having to get the cabin to the right temperature and then you are stopping driving. The climate control is actually very efficient at maintaining the temperature on a longer trip.
I think that you should be fine on your trip home, as long as you aren't silly with speeding and accelerating. :)

I'm doubtful of that SoH reading unless the dealership did a battery calibration, which I've never heard of a single story of..

Basically you need to charge to full, discharge to ~10% and then fully charge to perform a battery calibration (when it's above 10C). If your habits don't fit within the scope of this battery calibration "procedure", your reading may be from a long time ago. I would highly suggest looking into this more as your range is worse than mine when I had mine replaced under warranty.

It's really a shame Kia corporate doesn't have this as an established procedure in the battery warranty process.

hyperactiveme said:
....76km per 100% charge,,,,
Anything specific in the paperwork I should look for before leaving? Hopefully I'll make it home as the estimated range is equal to the distance from the dealership to my house

I hope you made it.
I doubt your SOH is better than 50%. Let's see what Sou;EV Spy says.

hyperactiveme said:
....76km per 100% charge,,,,
... Hopefully I'll make it home as the estimated range is equal to the distance from the dealership to my house

I hope you made it.
I doubt your SOH is better than 50%. Let's see what Sou;EV Spy says.

I was about to leave to go pick up my soul and service department called saying they sent to k tech file (?) to Kia Canada and are waiting a response.

I'll post back when I have more info. At least I didn't leave the house yet.

hyperactiveme said:
I was about to leave to go pick up my soul and service department called saying they sent to k tech file (?) to Kia Canada and are waiting a response.

I'll post back when I have more info. At least I didn't leave the house yet.
That's a good sign. Fingers crossed.

So APPARENTLY Kia Canada has approved the battery replacement but there's no timeline yet. I'll be taking back the car until it comes in. Anything specific I should ask for from the dealer as evidence of approval incase "something" comes up?

Made it back with the car no problem using the backroads, nothing over 75km/h Dealer didn't have any validating paperwork for me however said they've already been billed and battery will be coming from California.

I'll give them a month I guess then check back.

Dealership called and said the battery arrived. I'll post back when it's installed and back in my possession. Hopefully it won't take too long to get me in.

Back