EPB tool for rear brake pad replacement

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notfred

Anyone have any recommendations for an EPB tool that definitely works for our cars? I need to replace the pads soon and this is the first car I've owned with an EPB.

That's using the official Kia dealer GDS to back off the EPB. I'm looking for something to do the same in my home garage.

FYI, you can also just unscrew the EPB unit from the caliper, manually wind it back it (and lubricate it while you are at it), and then mount it back onto the caliper when you are done with the service.
When you hit the EPB, you will hear it taking some time to wind back out until it hits resistance, and it will then stop. No special calibration required. Works fine, been doing it this way for quite some time versus buying a special tool to operate the EPB. Fairly low tech overall. Just a bit of a PIA.

I just finished doing the rear brakes. I ended up disconnecting the wire and using a 12V battery from my UPS to wind the EPB in before removing the caliper. Once I had the new pads in and the caliper back on, I pressed the brake pedal a few times to settle the pads and piston, and then connected the battery the other way around to wind the EPB back out until the motor slowed down. Reconnected everything, put the wheel on and operated the EPB on and off about 3 times before driving the car. It all worked out very well.

One other thing, the piston has some dimples and the service manual says to use a special tool to twist it back in, but mine just pushed straight back in with finger pressure, so that's not needed. I like not twisting the pistons if I don't have to, easier on the seals which are operating straight the rest of the time and keeps the dimples lined up for the bump on the pads.

It was well worth doing, one of my side pins had seized, and one pad had literally rusted off the backing plate!

Back