Is reverse done by transmission or electrionic?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notfred

I'm wondering about wear and tear on the "single-speed reduction gear" transmission and how many metal shavings end up in the transmission oil. Is the motor permanently connected to the wheels with reverse and neutral done electronically? Or is it all done as in a normal transmission? Presumably there's still a pawl for P?

I took a look in the factory service manual at the assembly and there are 5 gears on the rack, and it appears to be set up on a direct drive (no clutches or converters or synchros) so I'd have to assume that the motor reverses. Given that there's no gear changing and meshing, I can't see why it would be a problem. The manual does say to replace the oil at 120000miles if used for 'severe use'...hard driving, a lot of stop and go, poor roads, or regular use above 90F 32c

Got it from this website, and had a link emailed to me where I was able to download the .pdf version to my phone and PC. Didn't have the table of contents for some reason, so it took a while to sort through 1400 pages
http://factorypdfservicemanuals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=404

Back