Transient warning and turtle light

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acadiandad

I ran into something a week ago on my 2016.

Was somewhere around 80-90% charge and driving around the neighborhood running errands. While accelerating, I felt a bit of a wheel slip / jolt (felt like that anyway) - then the warning light came on but car was still driving OK so kept going.

A few min later the turtle came on - at this point, was close to home and I know I had nearly full charge so just kept driving. The turtle went away and came back at least once. When I got home, I turned car off and on again and no warning lights stayed. It's been a week of commuting since with no issues.

Does anyone know if the Soul EV will store codes accessible via OBD like the ICE cars do when the check engine light comes on ?

yes, it stores.
problem : DTC are not documented (electric specific description).
need GDS to see this ...

but when you have problem, i recommend that you stop immediatly the car, push the ON/OFF to shutdown and wait 1 minute.

turtle can appear for this problem :
- low voltage (indepedently from the status of SOC)
- high temperature (motor, battery pack, controller)
- default fan or cooling for the controller (of the motor)
- loosing connexion to the BMS (canbus)
- loosing connexion from a cell (0v cell but main voltage don't plundge)

turtle indicator is a restriction of the power (you can see this with torque pro in the "max power available" for example).

when you shutdown the car and restart, an autostart verification of cooling (water pump) and temperature probe is made.
the same verification is made when you plug the cord for the internal charger.

Back