UVO Modem down

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Italian

I own a 2017 Soul EV. My car's internal modem has stopped working for a week now. I have no way to remotely connect to the car and when in the car I cannot use the roadside assistance or any other telematics feature. I am still able to connect to the car via Bluetooth.

When I look at the settings for both modem entries USIM and IMEI I see all zeroes. It wasn't like this until a week ago.

Has anyone encountered this? Any possible solutions?

This happen to me also. Called Kia support said they cant do anything. Need to take it in to service. I did they had it for a week. Said there was nothing they can do. Ended up fixing myself. So I did I fix it. I started my car with no phone. Made sure there was a network connection. There was three bars at the top right corner. I then pushed the middle button on the rear view mirror. the white uvo one. I then told it to do a search for coffee shops it did it things and started talking. Hope this helps.

Kevin

thegillettefive said:
This happen to me also. Called Kia support said they cant do anything. Need to take it in to service. I did they had it for a week. Said there was nothing they can do. Ended up fixing myself. So I did I fix it. I started my car with no phone. Made sure there was a network connection. There was three bars at the top right corner. I then pushed the middle button on the rear view mirror. the white uvo one. I then told it to do a search for coffee shops it did it things and started talking. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Hello,

I believe I am having the same issue you are. My modem number is a bunch of zeros and there is a "no signal" for the UVO EV services indicator. https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3qg5Zg2UaRxGu7P2 I have been communicating a lot with Kia Consumer Assistance and they finally suggested I have it taken to the service center. There they called the Kia Technical support people in Cali and they said it couldn't be fixed and needs a replacement of the whole radio unit:(

How were you able to fix it?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi Russell,

I spent hours with the tech support people, even with the guy assigned specifically to the the Soul EV. All incompetent people and clueless about the car and the system.

In the end I fixed it myself, the solution was simple. I removed the SD card and then re-inserted it. That caused the UVO system to fully reboot and the modem serial number reappeared and everything started working again.

Hello,

I had a similar experience with the incompetence of the tech people. I did try the SD card method at some point in there and it did nothing for me, but I'm glad it worked for you!

I eventually got it fixed, though I'm not exactly sure how, the dealership refused to say. See this link for another thread where I posted my full experience: http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=942

Thanks for your help,

R

Now I've got this problem in my 2017 Soul EV. I've not been able to get the internal phone modem to reset using the various tricks I've found in this forum. The 'My UVO' app says it hasn't heard from my car since July 2nd, about 45 days ago. Bluetooth and WiFi seem to be working just fine. Also, starting at the same time, the ACID battery drains dead after not being driven for two days. I replaced the battery, thinking it was getting old, but the problem persists with a new battery. Finally I just installed a battery switch.

From previous experience with cell phone technology, I know the modem draws a lot of power when it's trying to find a cell tower -- I suspect the modem is failing to receive data and is draining the battery trying to reach out to find a tower.

Has anyone gotten any further information on this problem?

Would love to hear any updates on this. I am considering buying a 2017 and don’t understand the issues with the loss of 3G. Will I not be able to communicate with my car at all from my phone?

I spoke with Kia this morning when I was trying to get the last owner of my new 2015 EV Plus removed from the registration so I could connect my phone via the app. I was told that the G3 server is no longer being supported by Kia and the inference was that 2015 would only be affected anything later was using a G4 modem. I asked if there was an upgrade option whoever I talked to didn't know of one at that point, says it's this is a very recent thing.

It's not just 2015s. It affects 2016s as well. Basically when my free five years of myUVO was over (September 15th, 2021), it stopped working and when I inquired I got the "3G modem" story. The gist of my conversation with UVO support on the phone was "we knew it we were going to stop supporting it, we didn't warn you, we aren't going to offer a solution for your car — just deal with it".

To say I was not pleased is an understatement, and up to that point I was all over getting another Kia when we decide to replace this one (or even our 2013 Mazda3). Now I'm not so sure.

My battery is dying. How they handle THAT once it clearly falls below the 70% capacity threshhold (it is very close now) will ultimately determine if I ever consider buying another Kia.

Since September 15th I have not been able to connect to my car with the app, nor is there a path to purchase further access to UVO and keep using it. Grrrrrrr.

Judging by what others have reported, if it falls below 70% before the warranty is finished, you will get a replacement with new technology cells, which have both higher capacity and improved longevity. Probably last you a further (say) 15 years, if you treat them right (30% to 80% whenever possible). That should compensate for your UVO disappointment.

just to confirm, no 3G modem or service we can still do all carplay and other entertainment through the phone, just not unlock the car or check charging status of the car... What about setting charge timers with internal software? programing preheat etc through the dash vs the phone op?

Here in Canada we never had UVO. Entertainment including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay works. Charge timers and preheat times both work.

Back