Make your own trunk shelf?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLKiaEV

I recently bought a mint condition 2016 Kia Soul EV+ (even SMELLS brand new!) but it was missing one thing: The shelf that goes across the back (not the one that covers the lower storage area on the floor). I started looking online and people want $125 or more for that thing! Used! So, I was considering making my own from plywood, fabric and glue, etc. Has anyone tried this? How did it come out?

Russell
Kissimmee, Florida USA

Russell,
I'm looking for a Soul but I have made a cover for an Astra. ¼ inch plywood with some wood battens for stiffness..glued to the ply. The trick with the Kia of course is that the Original folds. Have a look at CarPervert's you tube video on the older Souls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGc1a_dIO7Y&t=0s. He wonders where to store the cover. You could get some of those super strong magnets from amazon to hold it in place. The clips at the front would the the tricky bit.. I covered mine with black felt which was okay but did show the dirt. Indoor outdoor style carpet might work better.

Of course car wreckers are always an option and might not be as expensive at online auction.
Good Luck

Frank

Thanks, Frank, I'll check it out. Yeah, people are selling USED ones for around $125 and brand new ones from Kia are only a tiny bit more expensive. Makes no sense. I checked some online junk-yard inventories and didn't find any listed, but I think I can probably make my own (good advise on the reinforcement idea). And having it be able to get completely out of the way if necessary without having to store it somewhere else, would be a big plus.

Thanks again

I personally wouldn't bother trying to make your own. This could be a major source of rattling as the OEM one fits very tight with the rubber around the "posts" that fit in the slots on the car.

To be honest, I've had the car for several months and haven't had any need for it so will probably not bother at all. And, yeah, if it was rattling all the time that would drive me insane. One of the things I really appreciate about this Soul is that every button, knob, switch, lever and dial has a solid, well-made feel to it: Not a single squeak in the whole car (which would be even more noticeable in an EV without all that engine noise from an ICE to cover it up). Even the suspension is quiet.

Anyway, I think I'm okay without that shelf.

Ha!

Yes, I tossed that shelf and the cargo cover into a closet the day I bought the car almost 5 years ago, and haven't used them since.

The hard foam container under the "floor" I had to remove because I put an actual spare (donut) under there in place of the "travel kit". For a while I just had it sitting on top of the floor back there but then realized I was never using it so it's sitting in the garage.

If anyone is interested, I found the Kia OEM donut spare kit online for about $300 shipped that comes with all the tools you need including the stock jack that you would normally get, etc. Here's how I put it in:

ZyM9ccw.jpg

BTKrRve.jpg

TjG6lq7.jpg

The floor cover fits over it perfectly too. Hope this helps somebody. It sure gives me peace of mind! I never liked those airpump + foam kits.

I also replaced the lead acid 12V accessory battery with a 12V 20AH LiFEPO4 battery (well, two because they sent another as a replacement and said to keep the first one). They are installed in parallel to give a 40AH 12V accessory battery. It looks like this:

h8AmLd6.jpg

Parallel is positive to positive, negative to negative. Don't forget! Otherwise you'll create a 24V system which is not good. It's been in there since July with no issues. Got the idea from a guy on YouTube who changed his Fiat 500e EV accessory battery and hasn't had any issues for over two years. By coincidence the stock Kia battery that came in mine died about a week after I had the car. Good timing!

That is a great way to install a spare.

I think I'll do the same with my '19 Soul as well.

I have a spare tire from another Kia vehicle I used to own. I just need to get to a hardware store and get a piece of threaded rod with the same thread as the insert, and cut it to size. Throw on some washers and a wing-nut and it should be perfect!

My only concern is a set of small wires and a sensor that are hiding behind the rear bench carpeting. Should the spare tire move, those could be damaged? I'm not exactly sure how important they are, but your method seems to keep the tire secure enough to prevent this from happening.

As long as the other Kia has the same bolt pattern (it should) you shouldn't have any issues. If the other Kia is a small one then the weight specification might be different for the spare tire, but for short distances - just enough to get the flat tire replaced/fixed - it should be fine. Just keep the speed below the recommended speed.

The rod I got from Amazon (where else?). M8 x 250mm:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H797JYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The "handle" also from there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEWFC3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the nut: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAVJJLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 My local hardware stores did not have this, believe it or not. SAE, yes, metric, no. (A 5/16 is close but not exact).

I got the large washer locally. I used Loctite Red to hold the three nuts at their positions on the rod (one at the very bottom, one below the large washer and one above it to keep it from moving up or down). Don't put Loctite on the thread that goes into the vehicle itself because you might want to remove that rod in the future. Make sure it lifts the tire high enough to not put its full weight on the battery ventilation device but too high to keep the floor covering from fitting completely. Also, you'd be surprised how much room there is below the tire once this is done. Enough for some basic tools, wheel chucks, a 12V tire inflator and more, with room to spare.

As for those wires, it seems to be fine. The rod keeps it from moving too far in any direction and even if it did I believe those wires are just for the rear seat heater. Nothing critical.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. I also recommend the lithium replacement for the 12V accessory battery so you have even more peace of mind. If you end up with two lithium batteries like I did and you want to connect them in parallel, here's the type of cable you'd want: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F32MR50/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The spare tire has the same bolt pattern and centre bore diameter. It will work just fine. :)

Thank you for all of the information. You're making it almost too easy for me. :lol:

All parts are on order now. They should arrive within the next few weeks. I will let you know how everything works out.

I also looked into getting a similar LiFePO4 battery like yours, and it looks like to get a similar one here in Canada, I would have to spend quite a lot. I don't doubt it'll last the life of the car, but spending $500+ for me right now is a bit much. Curious how much you spent for yours.

https://www.canbat.com/product/12v-40ah-lithium-battery/

Mine was a little under $300US, but you can find similar ones for about half that price. I went with this brand because it seemed to be a brand that has been around for a while (ReLION). Many of the others I saw on Amazon disappeared after a month or two, so maybe their manufacturers are a bit "iffy". Since they sent me two, though, I "really" paid about $150 each.

Here's a good option on Amazon that has a built-in power gauge on top: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-Lithium-Phosphate-LiFePO4/dp/B0824S6LB2 with good reviews too. About $160US. Unless you have a high power audio system or plan on leaving your headlights on for a very long time without the main battery turned on this should be plenty. As I said, the guy in the YouTube video has had his in his Fiat 500e for over 2 years with no issues.

One other thing I forgot to mention: The battery terminals on most of these lithium ion batteries are M5 or M6, so you'll need to get two adapters. The one I linked seems to be an M5 type. Unfortunately, the M5 size is far less common than the M6 size so it might be a trick to find. I would contact the seller to find out for sure what the terminal type is and whether they sell the adapter. If it's M6 instead, those are pretty easy to find. Such as this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lmeK2...Lt0_pL63Vl5grQ1100LADTk4HvwIuMbQaApbNEALw_wcB

Why are we talking about 12v batteries in a thread about the trunk shelf?

Sorry, but if no one else will say it then I will.

Yeah, I'm guilty. :oops: It kind of became a thread about general ways to improve your Kia Soul. Should have made a separate thread, true.

Back