Upgrade Level 1 Charger from 12A to 16A?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankinva

Hello,
I just got my new used Kia Soul today. Very excited.
I read some forum discussions, but was not able to follow it.
I understand the default Level 1 charger is a 12 Amp.

Question #1: Is it waterproof? I Plan on keeping the car and charger outdoors.

Question #2
Online they sell aftermarket ones that claim to be 16 Amps, and therefore 25% faster. Is this possible and true? I understand there are some risks of fire, but at least it will be outside and far from my house. Does anybody else use these faster chargers? I don't drive much so I don't plan on getting a Level 2, so the extra 25% would be nice!

Questions #3
Extension cords. If I wanted to add a few feet to the 12Amp, could I get a Amazon extension cord that is super thick?
Like a Heavy Duty Yellow Extension Cable rated 12 gauge heavy duty wire, 15 amp, 125 volt, 1875 watt.
Or this
3 wire extension cord, 6 foot, 13 amp, 125V, 1625 watt, 5-15P/R

Thanks!

Frankl

frankinva said:
Questions #3
Extension cords. If I wanted to add a few feet to the 12Amp, could I get a Amazon extension cord that is super thick?
Like a Heavy Duty Yellow Extension Cable rated 12 gauge heavy duty wire, 15 amp, 125 volt, 1875 watt.
Or this
3 wire extension cord, 6 foot, 13 amp, 125V, 1625 watt, 5-15P/R

I just bought a Kia Soul EV too and I love it. I've been charging my car using an extension cord since I park on the curb. Not sure about the gauge, but the one I've been using is just a regular 13A outdoor extension cable (3 prong). Haven't had any issues and charges fine using the stock charger. Just... you know..... Level 1 speeds (slow). Lol

I charge at home with 16A.
Just bought a 16A-charging kit similar to the original one, removed the mains-plug and directly screwed the cables to a junction box in my garage. No problems so far.
But beware, that if you don't remove the mains plug it will get hot - and of course don't work with electric equipment unless you have the necessary skills.

BR,
Martin

Back