Kia Navigation Updater is available in US and Canada

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

-
Good news for some outside Korea, the free navigation downloader is available for US and Canada.
You can choose your country and language.

and then choose which car to update

-

If you want info about the Korean map updates look here Upgrading the Korean Map

-

Yeah, not getting the same result you are.

Still shows the "Grand Opening" pop-up when you click to download the updater..

-
If you can find the program then the latest map is easy to download.
I just downloaded a 16 GB file for the 2016 Soul EV US Version. It's the June 2020 update.
ST.PSEV.NA.E535.200609

The US map downloads into the folder 2015_16_Soul_Electric_USA
In the US the Soul EV is officially called Soul_Electric for all versions including the latest MY2020 (which isn't sold in the US).

The Korean map downloads into the folder Soul EV
In Korea the Soul EV is officially called the Soul_EV.
In 2019 the new Soul_EV was called Soul Booster EV, but the name has now reverted back to Soul EV.

Am wondering whether the European versions will revert back from eSoul to Soul EV this year.

Can someone in the US tell me what the SoundHound app does.

-

-
The official site is Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

If you are still seeing the popup when you try to download the US version then it hasn't been officially released yet.

(As a workaround you can switch the country to Korea, and download the Korean version.
After installing you can change the country and language in the settings menu.)

Changing the country was the ticket to getting the software, so thank you for that tip! :D

Between the download, the transfer to the SD card and the install - it took quite awhile.

So far I've noticed:

- The car now automatically switches over to the paired Bluetooth device upon connection.
I'm not sure if I like this new behavior or not.

- It seems to load/respond quicker than before, but it's hard to tell for sure.
If it does I'm curious if that is because of improvements in the software, or the fact that I had to use a newer & larger SD card compared to the OEM SD card.

- The update changed the Low Battery Warning frequency to every minute..
Thankfully that can be changed back, and promptly was.

- Visual changes to the Navigation U.I. and display.
I use Android Auto, and usually removed the SD card to avoid the built-in navigation altogether so I'm not the best judge here..

- Visual changes to the media screen.
I actually really like this and think the changes made are a big improvement. I find it easier to read, and now there is a visual indicator of track position.

While all of this is nice, I'm actually just hoping this update fixes the issue I had in the winter where my car would randomly fail to pre-heat in the morning. It seems like this was a known issue with a certain version of software and would affect both pre-conditioning and charge timers.

Personally, I'm glad I held off and waited for this option instead of paying them to send me an SD card. Even the SD card I used for the update was a spare that I had no use for otherwise, so win-win! :cool:

EVDee said:
While all of this is nice, I'm actually just hoping this update fixes the issue I had in the winter where my car would randomly fail to pre-heat in the morning. It seems like this was a known issue with a certain version of software and would affect both pre-conditioning and charge timers.
There was also a BMS firmware update to fix pre-heating in extremely cold conditions (below -20C I think), that may help if you are having issues.

notfred said:
EVDee said:
There was also a BMS firmware update to fix pre-heating in extremely cold conditions (below -20C I think), that may help if you are having issues.

Hmm, well I got both now I guess.
I'm in the process of a battery warranty claim and they "updated" my BMS as part of the process.
Yet when I asked them to update it prior to the warranty claim, no such thing existed.. :roll:

-
The new map for Canada available on this site is ST.PSEV.CAN.E535.200318
That is the update from 18th March 2020.
Have had one report that this update loses the charger locations

JejuSoul said:
-
The new map for Canada available on this site is ST.PSEV.CAN.E535.200318
That is the update from 18th March 2020.
Have had one report that this update loses the charger locations

I was going to ask if it updated the charger locations. To be fair, the original charger locations are so out of date now that they're useless. So an updated list would be good, or just forget about it and use the PlugShare app like everyone else. Too bad PlugShare doesn't support the Auto interface.

EVDee said:
notfred said:
EVDee said:

Hmm, well I got both now I guess.
I'm in the process of a battery warranty claim and they "updated" my BMS as part of the process.
Yet when I asked them to update it prior to the warranty claim, no such thing existed.. :roll:

Well, that didn't fix the issue. This morning the car failed to preheat according to schedule.
The only thing I can think of now is putting my 12V battery on a battery conditioner and see if that solves the issue.

I got an email notifying me of the update and jumped on it.

Wasn't just a map refresh - but whole menu system.

For my 2020 Soul EV, I just needed a 32GB USB memory stick. One handy feature on (the 2020 Soul) is it shows and verbally announces Traffic Cameras ahead (at least for my city).

I used the same Kia updater program to upgrade the menu/map for my gas-powered 2016 Soul. For that, I needed a new 32GB SD card (the car came with only 16GB). I don't usually drive this car, but I didn't really notice much difference before/after for this year/make.

Yet another map/menu update just release.

So far just updated my 2020 EV.

The last update was fantastic and a simple process.

Not this time. Program to download/upload the map, then decompress re-write it, was incredibly slow. Hundreds or errors, which I had to get it to restart one by one - could use a "Yes to All" feature. I had the same problem on two computers / internet connections.

In the car, the update also took a long time - update ran, then update started all over again. Almost 2 hours.

The User Interface is much different - and not better.

Home screen is no longer split into three - just two clickable sections with minimal display. Shows much less info. Limited ability to configure it.

The new UI has named users - not particularly useful.

Can't easily see my remaining battery percentage now unless I drill into menus.

Everything is lame Purple color.

The announcement for Traffic cameras is less audible - and has no visual component unless you have the map screen up.

Positive is the traffic camera does have a distance countdown to show you approaching it - do not think it did before.

You can not optionally have the backup camera display for a brief period after reversing, but this display shuts itself off once you get to about 10 km/h forward - so almost useless.

All an all, a dog. Looking for ways to downgrade now.

SoulMan said:
[...]All an all, a dog. Looking for ways to downgrade now.
I saw this update on the Kia/Hyundai (formerly Brantford Kia) channel on YouTube, and have been planning to avoid upgrading to it ever since, for the reasons you cited! Hopefully you've been able to downgrade.

Back