2015-16 MY Recall

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, this was a known issue awhile back but they're finally getting around to "fixing" it.
I had the work done last week, so far the only thing I've noticed is that the car now applies the emergency brake every time you shift into Park. The only reason why this new behavior bothers me is that now I have to wait for it to disengage before driving. The first couple times it caught me because I'm used to driving off as soon as the car is "Ready".

I have a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ and recently received the NTHSB gear shift lever safety recall notice in the mail. I took the car into the dealer for the fix and they did two software updates, one for the gear shift lever (SC191 Gear Shift Lvr - EPB Logic Update) and another one for a logic improvement (SA427 PSEV BMS/FATC Logic Improvement). I haven't done my homework yet to see the details of what these updates involve.

After getting the updates, I immediately noticed that the range calculations are different. The actual range of my vehicle with my typical driving conditions/style is currently a little less than 100 miles with the 27 kw battery fully charged. Pre-update, the Range meter would typically tell me that I had about 96-98 miles of range at full charge. However, the Average Energy Consumption meter consistently told me that I was getting ~5.5 miles/kwh, which, if true, should give me an indicated range more like 150 miles. Something didn't make sense.

Post-update, the meter shows that I am still averaging ~5.5 miles/kwh but the indicated range is now 140 miles at full charge. However, as far as I can tell, I still have an actual range of ~100 miles. So, I believe the range calculation is now improved even if it gives unrealistic results. So, this says to me that the Average Energy Consumption meter gives bad results, i.e. I'm not really averaging 5.5 miles/kwh. I will have to figure out how to test these calculations to see if they’re valid.

Bottom line – the updates have resulted in my having a wildly unrealistic range displayed in the instrument panel. I will have to depend on the percent battery charge numbers to estimate how much range I have left. I have also noticed some slightly different behavior in the EPB system but this behavior seems consistent with the intent of the safety recall.

I would be interested in others' experience with the updates and with their Average Energy Consumption experience for their vehicles.

The BMS update reset your cars knowledge of the battery pack so it defaults to a perfect battery. Once you have driven and charged it enough times then the BMS will relearn your battery and should give you a realistic range again.

Hi all,

I also had this update done. In addition to the parking brake, it seems to allow you to chademo charge up to at least 94% without the stop at 84.

I have a feeling that during this update, something was done incorrectly (to my vehicle), or perhaps the software itself has a bug. My heat pump stopped working and does not operate when heat is turned on (only the PTC operates).

Could any of you please do the following test for me and report back your findings? My dealer is useless and I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I have an entire other thread dedicated to that, under the technical section.

If you have a model equipped with the heat pump option, turn on your heat (auto is fine) and adjust the temp upward until the heat is commanded on. Then check under the hood and verify that your A/C (heat pump) compressor is running. You will be able to determine that by the noise it makes, and touch the high pressure discharge line to feel that it is warm/hot (it is the silver pipe just behind the motor, to the right (standing in front), and it passes through the firewall between the motor and steering column. It's easy to see and touch, nothing is in the way. Also let me know what temp you selected, and what the outside air temp was at the time per your vehicle display by the odometer.

Thanks!

RW8ccag.jpg

Outside temp 14, inside set to 21, compressor running and the pipe, the uppermost in the pic, was very hot.

Mine is a 17-18 MY, but hopefully the heat pump arrangements are the same.

Hi All,
I, too, had the SC191 Gear Shift Lever Recall and the SA427 Improvement update late Sept. 2020 and have noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in range in my CPO 2016 Soul EV+. I've had no problems with the car or range prior to the update since I purchasing last summer.
Before the update the mileage range would consistently be 1-2 miles equivalent to my battery %. (91mi. range @ 92% charge) and my driving history would be at 4.0 kWh. After the update my range has gone down to 52 mi. @ 100% charge!!! I have also tried "Recalibration" by charging to 100% after driving it down to 4% -- no improvement at all in the range. My driving habits have not changed since the update so I'm not sure what's going on.
I did get the CAR SCANNER app and a Veepak OBD diagnostic but for some reason the SOH/SOC or anything battery related does not show up. ? Not sure how to add that measurement on the app. Do I need to be driving the car?? Maybe someone can help? I don't have an Android so I can't use SoulSpy :(
I also need to recheck that the heater also isn't functioning normally -- no hot air. Will take it in to the dealer next week. Now I have extreme range anxiety on my commute. Even if I start the day with 100% I arrive home with 9 miles @ 20%. Previously I would only use about 45-50% of my battery - freeway driving 65+mph.

Somehow this BMS "upgrade" either has messed something up or maybe it has revealed the "true" range of my car ? Just wanted to share my similar experience and see if anyone else has advice. Thanks for reading & good luck to others out there.
P.S. "This bulletin provides the procedure to upgrade the Battery Management System (BMS) and Full Auto Temperature Control (FATC) software on some 2016-2017MY Soul (PS EV) vehicles, produced from May 21, 2015 through August 29, 2017, in order to improve air conditioning operation while the battery is charging." https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177748-0001.pdf

Bearcat said:
I have a 2016 Kia Soul EV+ and recently received the NTHSB gear shift lever safety recall notice in the mail. I took the car into the dealer for the fix and they did two software updates, one for the gear shift lever (SC191 Gear Shift Lvr - EPB Logic Update) and another one for a logic improvement (SA427 PSEV BMS/FATC Logic Improvement). I haven't done my homework yet to see the details of what these updates involve.

After getting the updates, I immediately noticed that the range calculations are different. The actual range of my vehicle with my typical driving conditions/style is currently a little less than 100 miles with the 27 kw battery fully charged. Pre-update, the Range meter would typically tell me that I had about 96-98 miles of range at full charge. However, the Average Energy Consumption meter consistently told me that I was getting ~5.5 miles/kwh, which, if true, should give me an indicated range more like 150 miles. Something didn't make sense.

Post-update, the meter shows that I am still averaging ~5.5 miles/kwh but the indicated range is now 140 miles at full charge. However, as far as I can tell, I still have an actual range of ~100 miles. So, I believe the range calculation is now improved even if it gives unrealistic results. So, this says to me that the Average Energy Consumption meter gives bad results, i.e. I'm not really averaging 5.5 miles/kwh. I will have to figure out how to test these calculations to see if they’re valid.

Bottom line – the updates have resulted in my having a wildly unrealistic range displayed in the instrument panel. I will have to depend on the percent battery charge numbers to estimate how much range I have left. I have also noticed some slightly different behavior in the EPB system but this behavior seems consistent with the intent of the safety recall.

I would be interested in others' experience with the updates and with their Average Energy Consumption experience for their vehicles.

2016Electric said:
...If you have a model equipped with the heat pump option, turn on your heat (auto is fine) and adjust the temp upward until the heat is commanded on. Then check under the hood and verify that your A/C (heat pump) compressor is running. You will be able to determine that by the noise it makes, and touch the high pressure discharge line to feel that it is warm/hot (it is the silver pipe just behind the motor, to the right (standing in front), and it passes through the firewall between the motor and steering column. It's easy to see and touch, nothing is in the way. Also let me know what temp you selected, and what the outside air temp was at the time per your vehicle display by the odometer...
Yes. I have a heat pump. I do not have the recent FATC upgrade. The heat pump works as expected, when you touch the pipe it's warm. You need to ask someone who has had the upgrade to perform this test.
-

ReggiesRide510510 said:
...I, too, had the SA427 Improvement update late Sept. 2020 and have noticed a SIGNIFICANT decrease in range in my CPO 2016 Soul EV+...
...Somehow this BMS "upgrade" either has messed something up or maybe it has revealed the "true" range of my car ?...
I expect the decrease to be battery degradation, nothing to do with a BMS update. It is just coincidence that you noticed it at the same time. For an older car charged to 100% each day, with a longish commute driven at fast speeds, the deterioration can happen very fast indeed. You should be getting a replacement battery under warranty once the dealer confirms your battery SOH has gone below 70%.

2016Electric said:
Hi all,

If you have a model equipped with the heat pump option, turn on your heat (auto is fine) and adjust the temp upward until the heat is commanded on. Then check under the hood and verify that your A/C (heat pump) compressor is running. You will be able to determine that by the noise it makes, and touch the high pressure discharge line to feel that it is warm/hot (it is the silver pipe just behind the motor, to the right (standing in front), and it passes through the firewall between the motor and steering column. It's easy to see and touch, nothing is in the way. Also let me know what temp you selected, and what the outside air temp was at the time per your vehicle display by the odometer.

Thanks!

2016 Soul EV+, recently received warranty rebuilt battery pack and all current firmware updates.

Outside temp, 5c
Heater on at 22.5c
Drove 15 mins on highway at 115km/h.
Upon arrival, no compressor running, and pipes into cab are all cold.

I am pretty sure I've never heard my compressor running if A/C wasn't engaged, however.

JejuSoul said:
-
ksoul2084 - I remember you posting before that your A/C doesn't work - Thinking of getting a higher mileage 2016
Did you ever fix this? The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. It requires refrigerant to work.
ksoul2084 said:
... Also, as I noted previously my A/C doesn't work either due to what I believe to be lack of refrigerant ...

Yes, the A/C was repaired at the same time the replacement battery was installed. Works great now, though I don't need it anymore with winter settling in here in Canada.

ksoul2084 said:
Yes, the A/C was repaired at the same time the replacement battery was installed. Works great now, though I don't need it anymore with winter settling in here in Canada.
Yes, you do.
The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. Your car will have better range in winter when using the heat pump to warm the cabin than the electric PTC heater that warms the cabin air if the heat pump isn't working.

For example watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQELZBjznA

JejuSoul said:
ksoul2084 said:
Yes, you do.
The heat pump is the same system as the A/C. Your car will have better range in winter when using the heat pump to warm the cabin than the electric PTC heater that warms the cabin air if the heat pump isn't working.

For example watch this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVQELZBjznA

Well sure, I meant I didn't need it for cooling anymore. The A/C switch is not usually lit when the heat is on these days either, unless I have Front Defrost button pressed.

AFIK the heat pump is just magic and doesn't need to be turned on via some control, is that correct?

Haha, well not magic ;)

But yes that's correct, the FATC is supposed to control the heat pump and PTC automatically (and when it hasn't been buggered up by incompetent service, that's what should happen).

At moderate temperatures the vehicle will heat with only the heat pump, using the least energy. As the temperature falls and heating load increases, a blend of the heat pump and PTC may be used.. And below around -20C, pretty much all the heat is supplied by the PTC.

It would certainly be possible for the vehicle to heat at very low temps with only the heat pump, if a suitable refrigerant were used, but given the boiling point and pressures in the system with R134a, that's not the case. You'd have to use something with higher pressures and a lower boiling point, such as R410 (as is the case with modern residential heat pumps (in North America, often referred to as a mini split).

Anyhow, Jeju, if you are reading this, Kia Canada has contacted the dealer that messed up my heat pump and they have asked me to bring the car back in for further 'testing', and agreed to allow me to be present when they do so (at my insistence). I'm going to try to get it in this week sometime for that.. I'll let you all know how it goes and if they finally acknowledge the fact that the heat pump does not operate when the heat is turned on.. I certainly hope the visit is productive and goes well, as I see the only other alternative being to pursue legal remedy for damage incurred to my vehicle.

Back