Winter tires on the Soul EV - Discuss please!

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinsley207

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am driving an new to me 2016 Kia Soul EV! I'm approaching winter here in Southern Maine and would like to hear from users regarding winter tires, particularly studded vs. non-studded. I'll just say right out I'm a believer in winter tires, so that's a given but as to studs or not or brands I'd love to hear what users are doing. Or if you're getting good results with all seasons, fine, let me know! :D

Thanks.

tinsley207 said:
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am driving an new to me 2016 Kia Soul EV! I'm approaching winter here in Southern Maine and would like to hear from users regarding winter tires, particularly studded vs. non-studded. I'll just say right out I'm a believer in winter tires, so that's a given but as to studs or not or brands I'd love to hear what users are doing. Or if you're getting good results with all seasons, fine, let me know! :D

Thanks.
Surely not all-seasons in Maine. All-weather maybe, but surely not all-seasons?

I'm also curious about what others have done. My intent is to get non-studded snow tires, but we don't get much snow or ice here.

The car is close to the 2 ton mark in terms of weight. The torque being near instant also helps prevent you from getting stuck.

I would say first check with your local jurisdiction to see if you are indeed allowed to use studded tires. (Some places prohibit their use.) Then look at the amount of driving you're planning on doing on icy roads and go from there. If you'll primarily be driving on snowy roads that are regularly salted/sanded, then just go with regular winter tires.

Thanks to both of you. For the record YES studded tires are allowed. The tip about how much driving on ice is a good one. I'd say I'm driving MOSTLY on snowy roads that have been sanded and salted. That's not to say that icing doesn't happen, I just don't encounter it much. Again, I've mostly used non-studded snow tires on my regular gas cars but the increased weight of the Soul EV had me concerned. I'll post my results in a few months.

Winter Tires for my Soul EV
I live on the Canadian West Coast. So, mostly cold rain, some icy stuff and slush, more slush and very occasionally snow.

After much research my first choice was the new Michelin X-Ice Snow but now I am considering a bit of a much lesser known, at least here in Canada, option: The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. From FInland. It seems to come out on top in most of the reviews I could find online. Many of the reviews have the Michelin Snow tire as a tested option but finding the Nokian R3 in a test against Michelin was pretty much impossible. The Nokian was seldom featured in any North American test. But when I did find it at all it did really good.

Also, I found on the info for the tire on one site that it was a recommended tire for electric vehicles because of some rolling resistance etc. design features. (wish I could find the exact reference link now...but if I find it again I'll re-post.) Not a biggee for me but kind of the icing on the cake.

Thanks all,
ernie

I've been living with Kumo All Weather tires for three years and out in Alberta they have worked really well. The newer Michelin Cross-Climate has rated highly. Though in most cases they say the All Weathers aren't as good as snows in deep snow. But if your situation fits the All weathers are nice as you no longer have to do the bi-annual tire change from summers to winter tires.

The only time you may run into a problem running all-season tires is if you venture out on a road that requires "winter" tires. We have several in British Columbia. The fines are fairly serious.
ernie.

Back