rear wiper home position/service mode

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tls1

Hi,

My rear wiper is acting funny. When I turn it on in intermittent it goes from the home position to about 135 degrees (when in the driver seat looking in the rear view mirror).. or from 3 o'clock backward to about 10 o'clock and pauses. Then it continues to 9 o'clock (the end position) and then returns to about 10 o'clock, pauses, and continues to the 3 o'clock and repeats the pattern. Make sense (LOL)?

It just started mysteriously happening. I did see a wiper service mode for the front wipers (turn on car, turn off car, then you have 20 second to push the mist (up) for 3 seconds. Repeat to turn off wiper service mode. I'm not sure if this applies to 2016 Soul EV, and/or if it applies to the rear wiper.

Suggestions how to fix?

I know I can loosen the bolt holding the wiper to adjust. But it does appear to perform the correct swing... from 3 o'clock back to 9 o'clock, but it pauses at around 10/11 o'clock.

Cheers!
Terry

I suspect this is nothing more than just a problem with your rear wiper motor.

Usually wiper motors have 3 connections power, ground (often through the mounting) and signal. The signal line drives the motor for the first part of the sweep, and then once it is past a certain point then the power drives it the rest of the way so that it reaches the home parked position. I suspect your motor is dying (rusted, grease drying out etc) so it doesn't make it quite far enough on the pulse on the signal line, but then just as it is coming to a stop it reaches the point at which the power line takes over and drives it the rest of the cycle.

Hi,

Interesting! Note this happens when it's in intermittent mode. When in the ON position it goes back and forth correctly. Of course you want to operate the wiper, it goes from OFF to INT to ON and then from ON to INT to OFF. So when turning off (from on) you go thru INT so it's hard to get it back to the home position.

The car was a the dealer for 2 months waiting for the OBC, I wonder if they broke anything? it worked perfectly before the repair, and this was the first time using it after the repair.

Do you have any instructions how to get access to the motor to check for dirt, etc?
Are there any instructions on how the motor works? maybe in the service manual (which I do not have a copy)?

Thanks!
Terry

Back