JeffBacon

Free Map updates?

Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 pm

I found this Kia site charging $190 (eek!) for a maps update for the Kia. Anyone know if you can get this for free anywhere?

JeroenE

Re: Free Map updates?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:01 am

In The Netherlands you get the map update free when you go in for the annual maintenance interval.

That said, I don't like the navigation of the car much. Because the update is so infrequent it is outdated and not very helpful. So I use either a separate navigation device or (mostly) my phone.

wrickcook

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:38 pm

I usually use my phone, but I am taking mine in for a firmware update. I am hoping to get new maps, too.

I bought it a month and a half ago, and during the test drive the salesman said the maps update for free using satellite every 2 weeks.
Now, I know that is not the case, but I am trying to leverage the fact he promised it to try to get them to up-date mine to 9.5 for free here in Seattle, WA.

I am hoping on Sat Dec 19th they throw it in for free when they are doing the firmware update (to fix flashing guess-o-meter bars) and the steering recall.
2016 Kia Soul EV+ - Shadow Black/Inferno Red

Leafer

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:55 am

wrickcook wrote:I bought it a month and a half ago, and during the test drive the salesman said the maps update for free using satellite every 2 weeks.

Is it possible the saleman meant that Charging Station locations are updated every 2 weeks ?

wrickcook

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 am

Leafer wrote:
wrickcook wrote:I bought it a month and a half ago, and during the test drive the salesman said the maps update for free using satellite every 2 weeks.

Is it possible the saleman meant that Charging Station locations are updated every 2 weeks ?

Doubt it. I had just told him I never use the built in navigation in cars, because they are always out of date and phones are always up to date. His reply was that the maps update every 2 weeks.

Good point, tho. I should have made him write it down. I am regretting now that I didn't make him write EVERYTHING down.

wrickcook

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:16 am

I completed the map update this weekend.
It does take about 30 minutes. The instructions cover many different models, so it says to keep your engine running the whole time. I think I lost 2 miles on the SOC sitting still.

The UI looks a little better, but my wife drives it more than I, so I don't know specifically what changed.

Step 1: Copy Files
Step 2: Prepare System Update
Reboot
Updating the System
Reboot
Step 3: Updating the MODEM
Step 4: Updating GPS
Step 5: Updating SUB MICOM
Step 6: Updating MAIN MICOM
Reboot

EDIT: images are not showing up, but path looks OK. Just some images of the packaging.
Last edited by wrickcook on Wed May 18, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmaluo

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:01 pm

wrickcook wrote:I completed the map update this weekend.
It does take about 30 minutes. The instructions cover many different models, so it says to keep your engine running the whole time. I think I lost 2 miles on the SOC sitting still.

Where did you get the update from? Did you have to pay for it?

wrickcook

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm

this site is the official Kia/Hundai maps site.

I don't want to get into details, but I did not have to pay. It was negotiated thru my dealership.

They ordered it. It took a week to get to them and I drove and picked up the sd card from the same place I got my car.

kmaluo

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:59 pm

wrickcook wrote:this site is the official Kia/Hundai maps site.

I don't want to get into details, but I did not have to pay. It was negotiated thru my dealership.

They ordered it. It took a week to get to them and I drove and picked up the sd card from the same place I got my car.

Ok thanks, I just got the car 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty confident I can get the dealership to upgrade me. Does this contain any vehicle updates or is it strictly maps?

wrickcook

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 am

kmaluo wrote:Ok thanks, I just got the car 3 weeks ago so I'm pretty confident I can get the dealership to upgrade me. Does this contain any vehicle updates or is it strictly maps?

It has car updates as well, but I don't know how much.

This update has been available since the beginning of December, maybe before then.
I would complain, especially if your car is that new. The update would have been available when you purchased, and a new car should come with the latest and greatest software available.

It took a few months of twisting their arm, for me. They kept saying 9.5 was unavailable and it was a 3rd party site I was seeing it on, etc. until I did a DNS lookup and proved it was an official Kia site offering the maps.

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”