Questions about range and speed

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slingxshot

I am looking for a daily commuter for my wife. She drives 46 miles round trip. Sometimes she stops malls, etc, let's say 60 miles worst case scenario. Also the car will stand in the cold in the winter between 9AM and 5PM. Will this car work for her?

Also what about highway passing speed. Is this car going to give trouble passing cars, etc?

Thanks!

Where in the world are you? A cold winter day in Florida is different from a cold winter day here in Ottawa. I think you'll be fine on range, particularly if she can plug it in at work or while out shopping, but a cold day with slush and winter tyres may be pushing it.

Speed is fine, but the faster you go the more battery is used. It will cruise on the highway at 80mph happily but you can just about see the battery gauge tick down.

Yep, there is battery shrinkage when it's cold. The Canadians could give you more detailed insight on this. My estimate from sunny Ca is range down to mid to low 80s range and heater eating up about 5 miles at Zero F.

I go from 92 to 88 range with temps from 70 to 40 (ambient charging temp). I wish the charging heater was more aggressive and kept the battery at 70 and up while charging in cold overnight temps. Kia needs to look at that.

Top speed in these cars is 93 mph / 150 kph. I commute under 65 mph speed limits and don't have any trouble keeping up with traffic at or above that. Like others said above, higher speeds do drain the battery more quickly - but this car should easily meet your described needs.

One key thing to note though is charge times - if you're using 70% or more of your available charge each day, there may not be enough time to recharge your car to 100% overnight using the supplied 110v cable. If you do buy an EV, I'd recommend that you have a Level 2 charger installed at your home.

Back