tylety

Kia found OBC unit & battery cells to be faulty!

Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 pm

2 years & 6 months, 32K miles.

Since Nov 2016, my effective range has been 55 mi on a full charge (while Kia reports 4.5 mi/kWh). I had it tested at 2 dealerships and they've finally concluded that the onboard charging unit AND battery cells are faulty -- not charging to 100% or holding the charge as reported by the car.

The repairs will take ~ 1 month here in Southern CA. I only have 5 months left on my lease and don't want to deal with it anymore. I've called Customer Care, Kia Motor Finance, and talked to the dealership's finance dept to see if I'm able to end the lease early given that 1/5 of it will be at the dealership. All have said nope, Kia would rather fix it under warranty. If I want to end the lease early, pay all the penalty fees PLUS the rest of the payments.

Any advice? I've asked them to open a case to Lemon Law dept. I'm trying my routes as I'm just so sick of the car... I'm not interested in waiting a month for it to get fixed.

SoulEV2016

Re: Kia found OBC unit & battery cells to be faulty!

Tue May 23, 2017 3:35 pm

you can not brake a lease contract.

all branch make the sames policies (leasing) and apply waranty for this kind of problems (motor, controller, battery, DC-DC converter, charger).

bad luck happen.
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

JejuSoul

Tue May 23, 2017 5:33 pm

-
tylety - Sorry to hear of your bad news. My advice is to insist on a quality loaner. Get a car you enjoy to drive for the next month.

Previous discussion of this topic is here - Range down to ~60 miles on 100% charge

This is the second car we have heard about to have a battery replacement because of faulty cells.

The other car in Seattle - battery died due to 1 bad cell - wouldn't charge - they replaced the whole pack - cost 24,600USD.

The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

unclfuzzy

Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 am

they replaced the whole pack - cost 24,600USD.

I find that sort of hard to believe. Nissan will replace a 24kWh Leaf battery for under $6500 including labor.

JejuSoul

Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 am

-
For a look at the pricing of the parts - https://www.kiapartsnow.com/parts-list/2015-kia-soul-ev/battery.html?PNC=37110A

Just the battery cells alone costs - $16,565.25 USD

We have both a bigger and better quality battery than the L eaf, so it should be more expensive, but our battery does seem way too pricey. No one will ever want to pay this price once the car is out of warranty. Let's hope the price comes down in the next 5 years.
The codes for using Torque Pro can be found by clicking the link in the website icon under my user name on the left.

NateCrawford

Thu May 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Mine might be another one: 2015 with cell 96 at 56.2% deterioration, SoH at 81.9% (using Torque app and PIDs from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs). Full charge (now 21 kWh) gives a range of 44 miles, and I've been mostly driving between LA and Irvine at 65 mi/h.

I gave this info to the dealer, but I'm waiting for their EV-trained people to get back. Does anyone have a recommendation for an LA/OC Kia dealer that is EV-competent? Mine (Kia of Cerritos) might be, but I have no reference for comparison.

Fun Times!

JejuSoul

Thu May 25, 2017 5:20 pm

-
Can you give us more details about this faulty cell. Did you look at the cell voltages for all 96 cells. Or just Max and Min deterioration. It would be great to see more Torque data from this car. If you could log the charging data for that bad cell, and from one of the good ones it would be really interesting to compare. Have you noticed the code for Battery Cell Voltage Deviation.

Also did this deterioration happen suddenly, or has it it been slowly getting worse? How many miles on this car?

Please keep us informed about what the technicians say about this car. Am interested to hear what they say.

tylety

Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Nate - Sounds a lot like mine... how many mi and how long have you had it? I'm at 30 months but it started at ~25 months. I took mine to Kia of Irvine, which said they couldn't find any fault (although I suspect they didn't even test it). Kia of Orange then checked and said there was a fault in both the OBC and battery. They don't sound very knowledgable but I have a feeling they're wanting the $20K warranty repair as a new dealership.

Let me know how Kia ends up treating you. I would expect at least for them to waive the lease payment for the months it'll be in the shop.

Jeju: I don't have nearly as much knowledge or expertise as you, so I rely completely on the dealership -- who sounds like they know less than you about these batteries. It's 31K Mi, 30 months old.

Supposedly, they test the cells and there are multiple faulty. The OBC unit is not charging them correctly, so that doesn't help. Will keep you posted.

NateCrawford

Fri May 26, 2017 2:53 pm

In general, cells 1-94 are all within 0.02V of each other, 95 starts to get a bit iffy, but 96 is far out. At 100% charge, 96 is at 4.18V, 95 @ 4.08V, and the rest at 4.04-4.06V. At low charge, 96 and 95 have similar deviations (96 bad, 95 questionable), but with lower voltages than the rest of the cells. The BMS is claiming that the minimum deterioration cell is 0%, and there are several that will get listed with that value (it would be nice to get each cell's deterioration, but that might not be available on the bus). I ticked the boxes in Torque Pro to log #1, #96, and overall state of charge, but will need to dig around to find the logs.

The car was leased in March 2015 and has about 39,000 miles on it. My wife and I switch off every couple months to keep the Soul and Leaf both under the 18,000 mile/yr lease limits. When she drives, it is a 42-mile commute with overnight 1.4 kW charging. When I drive (96-mile commute), I charge both at work (6.6 kW), and home (1.4 kW). We always try to charge to 100%, but much of the time it is still going when we leave for work.

I noticed the range was getting a bit tight a couple months ago, but that was just before switching off with the Leaf. My wife drives in much heavier traffic (avg 45 mi/h, I do 75+ on my route), so didn't notice the range drop until last week. Now I need to drive ~55 mi/h to get to work (using about 80% battery, 16 kWh). The charging stays at 6.6 kW until about 75%, then gradually tapers down to 600 W. It used to go from 6.6 kW all the way to 100%.

My appointment is early Tuesday morning. I'm pretty sure I'll make it if I drive slowly :)

SoulEV2016

Sat May 27, 2017 7:05 am

:shock: Yep, bad cell found !
At 100% charge, 96 is at 4.18V, 95 @ 4.08V, and the rest at 4.04-4.06V.

The charging stays at 6.6 kW until about 75%, then gradually tapers down to 600 W.

good point to see this problem with a commun kWh-meter (without Torque). :)
Kia Soul EV 2016 Ultimate 27 kWh - Mountain hard driving (fast). Drain 1/3 of Battery after 32km. - Unlimited highway speed (153km/h at regulator).

Return to “General / Main Kia Soul EV Owners Forum”