Kia EVs will shift from Chademo to CCS next year.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JejuSoul

-
Currently both Kia EVs (Ray and Soul) use Chademo for fast charging.
I expect Kia EVs to change to CCS next year.

In preparation the latest update to the Navi software allows you to filter fast ch argers depending on which system your car uses.

is there difference in the way they communicate with the car?

what would be the purpose of you getting this update with CHademo only? would they make a Chademo to CCS adapter?

Different protocols, CHAdeMO talks CAN over dedicated pins, SAE CCS uses powerline encoding over some of the other pins. I would say almost guaranteed to not see a converter from one to the other because of the different protocols. By the time you have a processor in there and the heavy duty connectors it would be very expensive. All the DC fast chargers around here support both apart from ones at dealerships.

I'm guessing the software is just being lazy and asking the driver to specify which connector the car has to filter the charging stations on the map. Instead it should actually be able to read from the car which version it is equipped with (at least from the VIN, but also likely differences in the BMS software).

well the good thing is that the new leaf is sticking with Chademo so hopefully it sticks with new installs of stations

i just bought a 2017 so i hope chademo continues to be rolled out in new stations. hoping that new fast charging stations have both, especially since the new Leaf will almost surely have chademo, as it has up til now.

Only need one (slightly larger) port for level 1/2/3 AC and DC charging with CCS, rather than 1 for AC level1/2 and a separate CHAdeMO for DC level 3.

Booper said:
Does CCS have an advantage of some sort over Chademo?

http://www.automobile-propre.com/forums/recharge-voitures-electriques/photo-de-toutes-les-fiches-de-charge-pour-voiture-electrique-t6256.html

y8kPVy.png

right-clic on the picture and choose "display image" to see in maximal dimension ...

i wish i could get an adaptor for the Tesla charging station, especially when i see a Tesla taking up a L2 charging station while the tesla spot is empty :D

mysoulev said:
i wish i could get an adaptor for the Tesla charging station, especially when i see a Tesla taking up a L2 charging station while the tesla spot is empty :D

You can (I have no affiliation to the seller): https://www.ebay.com/itm/142544249020

Wow. I didn't realize there was an adapter that we could use with the Tesla chargers. That product on ebay does have this disclaimer ...

"This adapter is NOT COMPATIBLE and is not to be used with the Tesla Super Charger Network."

I was under the assumption that ALL Tesla chargers were 'Super Chargers'. Now, how to identify which Tesla chargers this adapter will work with? Hmmmm.....

-
Here in Korea the Kia N iro EV was released a few months ago with CCS1.
The new Soul EV is about to be released.
Plenty of sightings here of test vehicles charging.
The new Soul EV here in Korea is also CCS1

The local Kia repear shop has replaced its Chademo ch arger with a dual nozzle Chademo CCS1.

The New Soul EV in the United States will also be CCS1.

this makes me sad cause the number of CCS out here is way more then Chademo already .
but maybe that means ill have no problem waiting in line.

-
The New Soul EV will be CCS1 in Korea and the US (+ Canada?).
The New Soul EV will almost certainly be CCS2 in Europe.

I think it will be the same as the new N iro EV
CCS1 in the US via AlexonAutos

CCS2 in Europe via FullyCharged

I saw a Niro EV (actually three of them) at a local dealer yesterday. They are definitely CCS type 1. So they are “in the wild” now.

Also, the “Electrify America” charging stations that are going in around here (part of the Volkswagen diesel cheating settlement) are predominately CCS1. Most of them have a half-dozen CCS1 chargers and one Chademo. That said, none of them within easy reach are active yet.

One place I currently stop when needed for a quick charge has added CCS1 to their existing Chademo installation as well.

It makes a certain amount of sense as the Chevy Bolt (when equipped with level 3 charging ports at all) is also CCS1.

I’m wondering if other networks around (Blink in particular) will start placing CCS1 chargers either alongside existing Chademos or redoing some existing installations. When I turn in my leased 2016 Soul EV in September I won’t be needing the Chademo any more.....

Back