Moving to a non-EV State? Getting EV Service? (NJ to DE)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVHamsterNJ

We bought our EVHamster in December - it's been fun so far. But we may be moving to Delaware, which doesn't seem to have been approved for EV sales yet. (Not sure why, since it's in between two "EV" states, NJ & Maryland.)

Fortunately, it doesn't require much maintenance but how can I get service if needed? Can a Delaware Kia dealer do anything for us if we go?

Has anyone else had do deal with this so far?

Thanks!

I have a similar situation. Moved from GA to NC. Worried a bit about what would happen if I need warranty service, but I'm hoping it won't be necessary.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. The closest EV approved dealer is over a 3 hour drive from me. The actually forgot to do the initial state inspection so they sent me to the local dealer to get it done. While I was there, I asked about service and they said they did have a tech trained even though they weren't approved to sell the model, they could service it. You might check with the local dealer and if nothing else, it lets them know they have someone that may be in need of a tech trained on the EVs and prompt them to start training.

ralyon

I would assume a non-EV dealer could do any repairs where the equipment overlaps the ICE version. Window switches, etc. Of course the meat and potatoes (and most likely to fail) would be the powertrain.
I am about 70 miles from my dealer and after two days I had a faulty 110 volt charger. Kia offered to truck it for me with no hesitation but that is certainly different than three hours. By the way I just bought a level 2 charger instead.

Back