Ontario EVCO

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2016Electric

So.. back in December 2015 the Ontario government made a big to-do about $20 million being given away as grants for private entities to bid on and install level 3 quick chargers. Grant applications closed by February 2016... and the program details indicated the winners of the grants were to be announced in March 2016.

It's now April 14th 2016 and nada. Zip. Zilch.

What gives? Anyone heard anything?

We really NEED quick chargers here in Ontario NOW... we have pretty much nothing in the way of quick charging infrastructure!

Only thing I've seen is this article

http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/the-next-ontario/will-ontarios-electric-car-charging-policy-repeat-costly-mistakes

Which says sometime this month.
Interested in the chargepoint 300 spots. Do the want to do level 3...

I saw other articles which said the Woodstock area applied for a level 3 charger
But couldn't find any articles on level 3 appliers for going east towards Kingston.

nibularr said:
Only thing I've seen is this article

http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/the-next-ontario/will-ontarios-electric-car-charging-policy-repeat-costly-mistakes

Which says sometime this month.
Interested in the chargepoint 300 spots. Do the want to do level 3...

I saw other articles which said the Woodstock area applied for a level 3 charger
But couldn't find any articles on level 3 appliers for going east towards Kingston.

Tick tick tick... still waiting and no word. This is what I was concerned about.. At this rate, this does NOT inspire much confidence for the timing of actual build-out - real, working stations.

Sheesh - how difficult can this be? Detroit has these at some coffee shops!

suppose it will take a while.

i applied for my Vehicle rebate in January when i purchased.. just got the $8500.00 back this week.

was told any additional fees i'm eligible for will be processed when the finalize the list of vehicles and model options.

unrelated note since Ontario drivers will probably look at this.

i took the dealer license plate covers off since i noticed it was hiding the GREEN VEHICLE marking

do people want to be kinda stealth on that ... i wonder sometimes if people not knowing of it think its goverment or something.

or be more noticeable as GREEN?

I wonder if Ontario has a law similar to the one here in BC. Here, it's not legal to resell electricity for a profit if you get the electricity from BC Hydro. If they got rid of that law, or modified it, there would be incentive for private charging stations to spring up.

Jon said:
I wonder if Ontario has a law similar to the one here in BC. Here, it's not legal to resell electricity for a profit if you get the electricity from BC Hydro. If they got rid of that law, or modified it, there would be incentive for private charging stations to spring up.

I believe we have something like that... but they already get around it by billing for time charged.. instead of by kWh charged. Silly really.
Anyway, even with that you have more Chademo chargers available in BC vs. Ontario... I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd guess there are more EVs registered around Toronto than in all of BC. The present situation here just doesn't make sense.

here is your long awaited list of the 20 mill awarded

Funding for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations http://news.ontario.ca/m/36709

need to know where these are going

Koben Systems Inc.

Mississauga, ON

$11,396,246

Level 2: 193

Level 3: 144

Province-wide Network

and these

Electric Circuit

Montreal, QC

$1,415,000

Level 2: 8 Level 3: 14

Ottawa and Eastern Ontario

nibularr said:
here is your long awaited list of the 20 mill awarded

Funding for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations http://news.ontario.ca/m/36709

need to know where these are going

Koben Systems Inc.

Mississauga, ON

$11,396,246

Level 2: 193

Level 3: 144

Province-wide Network

and these

Electric Circuit

Montreal, QC

$1,415,000

Level 2: 8 Level 3: 14

Ottawa and Eastern Ontario

Fantastic and very welcome news! More than I would have thought. Now let's hope they get these rolled out soon! :)

Oh I was at Leggat Kia in Burlington today, was told they just installed a evse in service and have some Soul EVs on the way to them.

FYI for anyone needing a closer dealer in this area

for the peterborough area people here are the locations

The six locations are:

Peterborough Zoo
Lansdowne Place Mall
Peterborough Memorial Centre
King Street Parking Garage
Asphodel Norwood Township office in Norwood
Lakefield Downtown location
A total of nine EV charging stations will be installed at these sites.

Two Level III Fast Charging stations will be installed at the Lansdowne Mall and at the Asphodel Norwood Township office. These chargers can provide an 80% charge to EV vehicles that are equipped with fast-charging ports.

the electric circuit planned locations of 14 fast charging stations for Eastern Ontario / OTTAWA

http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160502_C3635_PHOTO_EN_679683.jpg

Four electric vehicle charging stations will be installed in the Town of Essex this summer
Level 2: 0
Level 3: 4

Two charging stations will be installed at the Essex Centre Sports Complex and two more at Colchester Harbour.

"One is at the 'hub' or centre of the county and the other is along the north shore of Lake Erie in the heart of wine country."

Wellington County is receiving over $215,000. from the Ontario Green Investment Fund for Electric vehicle charging stations.

The stations will be located at the Arthur Library, the Puslinch Library, and the Social Services Office in Guelph.
Level 2: 0
Level 3: 3

Meantime, Wellington North has also secured funding from the province to install charging stations, with one approved in Arthur, and one in Mount Forest. Siting details are still being worked out. Wellington North Mayor Andy Lennox says the stations may be an attraction to getting people to stop and shop in Wellington North.
(couldn't find details of what level of charging)

info for Northern Ontario

In Northern Ontario, the government has awarded a contract for about 25 fast charging stations at Tim Hortons and McDonald’s locations. Koben System Inc. of Mississauga is negotiating with the two international food chains for the final arrangements and details about particular franchises receiving the chargers is still weeks away.

“We’re installing fast chargers at leading retailers and high-profile franchises, like Tim Hortons and McDonald’s, to give drivers confidence that finding a charging station will be as easy as finding a gas station in Ontario. When all chargers are installed by March 31, 2017, Ontario will have a robust EV network that will help fight climate change and reduce greenhouse gasses by making owning an electric vehicle a more practical option, no matter where in the province you live,” Minister Steven Del Duca said of the announcement.

Ontario's Climate Change Action Plan has leaked:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-to-spend-7-billion-in-sweeping-climate-change-plan/article30029081/

Proposals include:
  • Dropping Ontario's portion of HST (8%) from new EV purchases. This is in addition to the existing EV incentive of up to $14,000 off a new EV purchase and $1,000 off a home charging station purchase and installation
  • A subsidy program for low and moderate income households to replace gas cars more than 12 years old with emissions-free electric cars
  • FREE electricity when charging at home overnight.
  • Revisions to current rules that make it easier for condo and apartment buildings to install charging stations
  • Possible changes to the building code that mandate EV charging capabilities in all new buildings
  • Charging station installations at government buildings, including LCBOs and Service Ontario centres
  • A "Lake Ontario Electric Loop" in partnership with New York State with charging stations in Toronto, Kingston, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo and Niagara Falls
  • Other important investments to make buildings and homes more energy efficient and less reliant on fossil fuels

AddEnergie launches 2,000-station electric vehicle charging network in 5 provinces - Posted Jun 15, 2016 8:44 am EDT

Called the FLO network, it will initially have 2,000 charging locations in five provinces, including Quebec.
AddEnergie says its goal is to add 8,000 more charging stations across Canada over the next five years.

It says the FLO network will start with charging stations in Canada’s three most populous provinces — Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia — as well as Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Your green licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Starting July 1, 2016, eligible vehicles with green plates will have permanent access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people.

nibularr said:
Your green licence plate is a sign of your commitment to a cleaner Ontario. Starting July 1, 2016, eligible vehicles with green plates will have permanent access to High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on 400-series highways and the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), even if there is only one person in the car. HOV lanes are otherwise reserved for vehicles carrying two or more people.

Here in BC, EVs are also eligible to travel in HOV lanes with only the driver in the car. We only get a sticker, though, not a cool green licence plate! :cry:

the updated installation MAP

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-chargers-ontario.shtml

news article involved

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/07/electric-vehicle-charging-stations-coming-soon.html

Back