Not charging, clicking then off

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeIpsen

No fault appears on the charger, it just clicks / charges for a short while then turns off.

I confirmed the charge timer is off.

Here's a video of it happening.
https://youtu.be/oC3j6uXeSxQ

Sounds like your OBC has failed. It's pretty common, but should be covered under warranty.

I had a similar problem, in the memory of block OBC error P1CF2. I had to change the block OBC.

I have the same issue when I charge with a Clipper Creek 16 amp level 2 charger but it charges fine with my Kia 120 volt charger. Is that the same as what others see? OBC issue?

mgilpatric said:
I have the same issue when I charge with a Clipper Creek 16 amp level 2 charger but it charges fine with my Kia 120 volt charger. Is that the same as what others see? OBC issue?

NO - the OBC error prevents charging via any means except DC fast charging.

Check your Clipper Creek EVSE for error indications. If there are, note the blink pattern and contact Clipper Creek. We just went through that a couple of months ago (after doing the OBC in May). Clipper Creek is aware of an internal contactor/software issue and they just sent me a new unit and a prepaid label to send the failed one back. It took me only a little while to swap one for the other and issue solved.

In our case it started with an occasional failure to charge overnight (car wasn’t recharged in the morning) and in the end it would kick off almost immediately after plugging in (charge timer off). Sometimes I could clear the error by cycling the breaker that controlled the EVSE and then the car would charge, but after awhile doing this didn’t always work.

Thanks for the ideas. I think my issue is a problem with the EVSE. It works fine in the 120 volt charges. I did call Clipper Creek and they think it could be a bad cable. I’ll have to take a closer look.

Back