Hardwiring a DashCam

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattFromLA

Has anyone hardwired a dashcam into their SoulEV? I'd like to do it and either use the power from the mirror or the front center lights so that I don't have to run a wire all the way around the windshield.

I strongly suggest against hard wiring it.

Many systems in car are supplied with 12 volt power, which is far too much voltage for the dash cam. They typically do not accept more than 5 volts for charging and if you connect a 12 volt supply, you may either blow a fuse (best case scenario) or fry the power supply of the camera.

It also makes removal of the camera very difficult if you ever wanted to switch it to a different vehicle.

Stick to the cigarette lighter in which the camera typically plugs in, and run the wire above the head liner, windshield weather striping and passenger or driver side carpeting, and tuck it between the panel gaps of the centre storage tray.

It's a very neat and very easy install. Took me approx. 5 minutes to complete.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I wont be working on this project for a few weeks, but I'll upload my pics once I'm done.

Back