Soul EV Spy Questions and Answers

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discharge it to zero, recharge back to 100%. Measure the energy recharged. It will give you a good idea.

Zarf said:
When I run EV spy on my 2018 Kia Soul EV LUX, it reports under Engine

Battery [LiPB 350 V, 75 Ah] + Motor [3-Phase AC 80 KW]

Does this mean my car 27KW battery?

Mine is a 2018 model (10th digit of VIN is a J, although it was made in 2017 as it was first registered in early January 2018) and therefore 30kWh and it shows Battery [LiPB 350 V, 75 Ah] + Motor [3-Phase AC 80 KW] as well, so that is inconclusive. My GOM currently shows 116 miles~186 km. What's your GOM with climate control to off?

However, I understand that all 30kWh reports to date of Max Det and Min Det are either 0 and 0 or 0 and 100, so if SoulEV Spy shows that for your battery, its a 30kWh. If instead of those numbers, you get real values (e.g in the 10's) you should get a real value for SOH as well. Be interested to know.

Zarf said:

The easy way to check is to look at the number of cells. If there are 100 you have a 30kWh. The earlier version only had 96 cells.
(Actually cell pairs - 2 in parallel - the real number is double this).
The first gen cells were 75Ah (=37.5Ah*2), The latter were 80Ah(=40Ah*2).

JejuSoul said:
Zarf said:

The easy way to check is to look at the number of cells. If there are 100 you have a 30kWh. The earlier version only had 96 cells.

As easy as that, and the KIA dealer's shop staff didn't know. Well, my battery does show 100 cells, so I guess Kia forgot to update the BMS firmware to show 80Ah for the 30kWh model. I think the 350V is also misleading, as 4.12*96=395, etc.

IanL said:
As easy as that, and the KIA dealer's shop staff didn't know. Well, my battery does show 100 cells, so I guess Kia forgot to update the BMS firmware to show 80Ah for the 30kWh model. I think the 350V is also misleading, as 4.12*96=395, etc.
No, that is my bad. This is a hardcoded string in the Soul EV Spy app, so the reason it is erroneous, is because I haven't made a special string for the 30 kWh model. The info is generated based on the VIN. I do not know if the app reliably can determine whether the car has a 27 or 30 kWh battery. Perhaps it is directly tied to model year (indicated by the 10'th character in the VIN)? So 2018 and 2019 models have 30 kWh, all previous years has 27 kWh.

I've been told the tenth is conclusive for the 30kWh battery, but if you want another way, could you do the equivalent of "IF battery cells 97 to 100 show real values, THEN use (string for 30 kWh), ELSE use (string for 27 kWh) ?

langemand said:
IanL said:
No, that is my bad. This is a hardcoded string in the Soul EV Spy app, so the reason it is erroneous, is because I haven't made a special string for the 30 kWh model. The info is generated based on the VIN. I do not know if the app reliably can determine whether the car has a 27 or 30 kWh battery. Perhaps it is directly tied to model year (indicated by the 10'th character in the VIN)? So 2018 and 2019 models have 30 kWh, all previous years has 27 kWh.

My 2018 went into service in 2017 Oct I think. When I saw the reading I thought that they had put the 2017 battery in it.

If you need me to provide any specific info/data from my car to help improve the programme let me know how I can help.

Thanks.

JejuSoul said:
Zarf said:

Yes I have 100 Cells

IanL said:
Zarf said:

Mine is a 2018 model (10th digit of VIN is a J, although it was made in 2017 as it was first registered in early January 2018) and therefore 30kWh and it shows Battery [LiPB 350 V, 75 Ah] + Motor [3-Phase AC 80 KW] as well, so that is inconclusive. My GOM currently shows 116 miles~186 km. What's your GOM with climate control to off?

However, I understand that all 30kWh reports to date of Max Det and Min Det are either 0 and 0 or 0 and 100, so if SoulEV Spy shows that for your battery, its a 30kWh. If instead of those numbers, you get real values (e.g in the 10's) you should get a real value for SOH as well. Be interested to know.

I am seeing about 155km on the GOM today with the heating off, Its -3c today at 100% charge, with a drop to 125KM with heat I don't get a real SOH.

Zarf said:
If you need me to provide any specific info/data from my car to help improve the programme let me know how I can help.

Thanks.

As we now know you have a 30kWh battery and KIA have measured it at 99% SOH, it sounds like your data could be helpful to JejuSoul

JejuSoul said:
-

The SOH readings given by Torque do not work correctly on the 30kWh versions of the Soul EV.
The reading given by SoulEVSpy, 'indeterminate' is currently correct.
I recommend new users to stick to the SoulEVSpy app

We are still waiting for a user with less than 100% SOH usable capacity to post their data.
I will correct the Torque app once we know what the actual codes are.

-

IanL said:
I've been told the tenth is conclusive for the 30kWh battery, but if you want another way, could you do the equivalent of "IF battery cells 97 to 100 show real values, THEN use (string for 30 kWh), ELSE use (string for 27 kWh) ?
Probably, but currently all the info below VIN on the car page is derived exclusively from the VIN, so it is currently displayed even when the BMS is off, so the cell values cannot be read. I have a very limited number of SoulSpy log & data files from the 30 kWh model, so any rule I derive based on the evidence I currently have, may be flawed.
I have created an issue for this bug: https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy/issues/33

Hi - I’m a newbie (ish). I experimented with a konwei dongle and soulspy on my 27kw about 18 months ago, I now have a 30 kw 2018. Is soul EV spy working properly for 30kw souls now?

Zarf said:
langemand said:
IanL said:

My 2018 went into service in 2017 Oct I think. When I saw the reading I thought that they had put the 2017 battery in it.

Thanks.

Soul EV Spy has now been fixed so Kia Soul EV 2018 and 2019 displays: "Battery [LiPB 375 V, 80 Ah] + Motor [3-phase AC 80 kW]".
This fix is available from version 1.0.1-547, currently available for ALFA- and BETA-testers (so please feedback if you check this and find a bug).

If you have the Soul EV Spy app, and a Kia Soul EV 2018 or 2019 with confirmed SOH less than 100%, please email me a SoulSpyLog2020XXXX_XXXX.txt file (saved in the Downloads folder by the app when connected to car), so I can verify the PID for this value, and improve the app to report SOH for these models. email: [email protected]

If you do not have the paid app, i.e. use Soul EV Spy Lite, then please contact me by PM or email.

ksoul2084 said:
I think I discovered that Soul EV Spy doesn't handle negative temperatures properly.

Yesterday it was -33c here and when I checked my battery pack temperatures they all read 253.0, 247.0, and like that. When I rechecked them after driving about 20 mins a couple had crept above zero and read 3.0 which looked correct.

Same thing with the BMS screen, all the temps were 253, 251, etc. I assume because they were below zero.

The outside temp value was correct, however.

Nice! Any update on this issue?

ksoul2084 said:
ksoul2084 said:
I think I discovered that Soul EV Spy doesn't handle negative temperatures properly.

Yesterday it was -33c here and when I checked my battery pack temperatures they all read 253.0, 247.0, and like that. When I rechecked them after driving about 20 mins a couple had crept above zero and read 3.0 which looked correct.

Same thing with the BMS screen, all the temps were 253, 251, etc. I assume because they were below zero.

Thanks for reminding me. I have made a unittest that reproduces the issue, and I have made a fix. It will soon become available for ALFA-testers, in the paid version: Soul EV Spy v. 1.0.1-603. If you want to volunteer as ALFA-tester, send me an email at [email protected].

BMS and OBC temperature values in the range 128-255 can be recalculated to the correct value by subtraction 256 from the value.

IanL said:
No, the battery Max and Min Det and parameters derived from them (e.g. battery SOH) do not work for the 30kWh model, according to the developer.

See https://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=471&p=10476#p10476

I have attempted a fix for this. It will soon become available for ALFA-testers, in the paid version: Soul EV Spy v. 1.0.1-603. If you suspect the SOH is below 100% in your Kia Soul EV 2018 or 2019, and you want to volunteer as ALFA-tester, send me an email at [email protected].

langemand said:
ksoul2084 said:
ksoul2084 said:

Thanks for reminding me. I have made a unittest that reproduces the issue, and I have made a fix. It will soon become available for ALFA-testers, in the paid version: Soul EV Spy v. 1.0.1-603. If you want to volunteer as ALFA-tester, send me an email at [email protected].

BMS and OBC temperature values in the range 128-255 can be recalculated to the correct value by subtraction 256 from the value.

Nice!

Unfortunately (hopefully), I don't expect to see much in the way of negative temps. here now until fall.

The latest production release of Soul EV Spy displays SOH on the car page, for Kia Soul EV having 30 kWh battery (it has always displayed SOH for the 27 kWh Soul EV).

A coming Soul EV Spy release displaying SOH on the car page, for Kia e-Soul (and e-Niro + Hyundai Kona EV), is currently in ALFA-test stage.

Send me a PM if you have the Soul EV Spy, and want to become ALFA-tester.

Back