New software update installation (video)

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IanL said:
That's very interesting. Either the software does not use a CID, or the version you have is cracked to remove the requirement for the CID.

My guess would be the software does not use a CID. Cracking the code would require gaining access to the files stored on the cars hard-drive, which seems unlikely. It's just a software update so as long as the update folder is on an SD drive in the Car's drive it is no different than upgrading any other software on my computer.

Any rate, for anyone is a similar situation, it will work.

ernie

Hi All,

Getting ready to do this soon. I have a 2016 Soul EV, US version, running ST.PSEV.USA.E482.150626. Has anyone successfully figured out how to backup this existing version in case you need to GO BACK?

tinsley207 said:
Hi All,

Getting ready to do this soon. I have a 2016 Soul EV, US version, running ST.PSEV.USA.E482.150626. Has anyone successfully figured out how to backup this existing version in case you need to GO BACK?

If there is an SD card in your vehicle now, (there was not in the used Kia I bought) then you can simply copy the existing software to your computer. You would need an SD card reader but they can be had really cheap. (under 10 bucks) Of course the other option if there is a card in there is to simply pull that card and save it. Then use a new SD card for the upgrade. Which will work as that is what I did given I had no original card to start with.
Also I just noticed when I followed the link to the new Kia nav upgrade site they are saying if you have a 16gb card you need to replace it with a 32 gb card for that update. Not sure if I'll bother with the nav update as I wouldn't subscribe for a monthly fee. SInce after the upgrade you will install you have access to Apple Carplay and therefore Google maps as needed.

ernie

All good info and thanks! I did the upgrade using the card that the came with the car which was a 16 gig. I pulled it out of the radio and put it into a card reader on a windows laptop. Then I dragged the "update" folder over to the card and there was fortunately enough room! Then I took the card back to the car and performed the update on the screen. This way I have access to the original maps and the google maps! Handy for when my wife borrows the car! Too bad about the subscription, was that a UVO subscription they wanted??

Glad your update worked.
The new update looks like a Nav update only. Not sure if it requires the UVO subscription...though it would need some sort of connection so that was my assumption.
The "new" Kia update site is https://update.kia.com
That's where i've looked at it today. I order a new bigger SD card today form Amazon just so I can try it. $15 bucks for some fun. And no need to social distance... :)

This just in! The map update is free right now! I went to the website and downloaded the updater APP. I ran the executable (windows) and when it fired up it asked me for a login BUT it also had a GUEST LOGON button! I clicked it and went through the entire process.

BTW Here are some tips since it wasn't clear at first:

BEFORE you start! Get your 32 gig class 10 SDHC card ready. Format to FAT32.

1. Download the EXE on your computer.
2. Install and run.
3. Click the GUEST LOGON
4. Select your vehicle etc.
5. Choose the TEMPORARY location for the download (it will offer to delete this file afterward).
6. Select the SDHC card for the target.

The app will now download and then copy the files to the card all in one move (this was not clear to me at first, I thought I had to copy the files to the card myself).

What's also not clear is what would happen if we all tried to keep the download files. I don't know if they updater is required to write the files or what but there you have it. The new map looks a bit cleaner and it has more charging stations which is good. I'm glad I did it. Now I have both google maps and the regular kia maps!

Zap On! :cool:

Nate

Thanks for the update.
I had downloaded the app yesterday (the Mac version) , and it opened fine etc., but I am going to wait until I get the 32bg SD card before I go any further.
I will probably download the file to my computer first, and then manually transfer them to the SD card to install.

Thanks again,

ernie

The new update actually added a new feature called "Sounds of Nature". I first noticed this in my father-in-law's 2020 Niro PHEV.
Now I have an even better chance of falling asleep while driving. Thanks Kia!

Finally got this update done. Noticed when downloading to computer the KIA app does want the SD card attached to the computer so it can recognize it as the final destination. It actually does the download to your computer but then it immediately goes to a copy step to transfer the file from your computer to the SD card. (You can click a box to keep the files on your computer, but the default is for it to delete the download after the copy is done.)

The install in the car went good. Except I hate sitting in the car watching the screen for about an hour. Oh and the occasional black screen it goes to between install sections always scares me.

But it all worked. I know have Nav maps which I didn't before as the car didn't have an SD card with it when I bought it.

Besides the map upgrade it has made little changes in other spots too—my music display is updated—took my a couple tries ot find the shuffle button. But all in all it is all good. Haven't come across the sounds of nature mentioned above yet!

Now I guess one of us just has to check every few months to see if there are new updates on the update site.

ernie

EWBurden said:
Glad your update worked.
The new update looks like a Nav update only. Not sure if it requires the UVO subscription...though it would need some sort of connection so that was my assumption.
The "new" Kia update site is https://update.kia.com
That's where i've looked at it today. I order a new bigger SD card today form Amazon just so I can try it. $15 bucks for some fun. And no need to social distance... :)

Hi, the link is not working, any alternatives?
Thanks

The Kia link?
I just clicked it and it worked.

The Amazon link just goes to amazon if you need to buy an SD card while social distancing...

Thanks,
ernie

Captura-de-ecra%CC%83-2020-12-13-a%CC%80s-21.24.38.png

I'm getting this error...

With your last link I can see the page ok, my doubt is can I use this files in Europe?
Thanks

This update will only install on a car with either the US software or the Canadian software. You can only install the country specific upgrade version.

I know because my car was originally registered in the US, but since I'm in Canada I tried using the Canadian update first, thinking I needed it for the correct maps. It would not work. I had to use the US version. Both the Canadian version and the US version have map updates for both Canada and the USA.

If you check the software version via the info menu in car as a US car I see: ST.PSEV.USA.ES.......
And the Canadian software is: ST.PSEV.CDN.....

I am assuming somewhere there is a European update version...somewhere.

ernie

Back